Home Technical Talk

IC.PolySplitRing

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys,
I just updated the IC.PolySplitRing. The code is a little cleaner and hopefully slightly faster, a new experimental feature was added too. By keeping SHIFT keyboard button pressed, the cut tries to keep constant the distance from the nearest edge ring side. It's a bit complicated to explain, but hopefully useful. If you like, give it try by getting it from the IllusionCatalyst website in MaxScript page. Thank you.

p.s.
3ds Max undo system is a real mess, please don't blame this poor little script if you need to remove a loop the old way. :susp:

I chose a bad thread title, I'd be happy if an admin could rename it for me to: "3ds Max plugin - IC.PolySplitRing". Sorry for the annoyance, thanks.

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow that's great! haha i just installed the previous version this morning. the new feature is very helpful for high poly modeling :). it all works like a charm. too bad most of my good shortcut keys where already taken ;) it's now set to ctrl+shift+v.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thanks alot,- its a very nice implementation of the split loop
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hey thanks! I've been using this script for about the last two weeks, has become one of my fav tools to use (also posted about it in the max scripts thread).

This might be going out on a limb, but are their any plans to give it some nex-like functions? Such as clicking and dragging to determin the number of loops cut at a time
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet! I love this script so much <3
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    this is really great! i've been looking for this very thing recently as I am trying to switch to using max vs. maya
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting, does it behave like polyboost? i cant really test it right now but i will download it for sure.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Ah this is really cool, one of those maya tools i wanted to have in max for a while =). Thanks a lot!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    thank you for the nice feedbacks, I'm glad you like the script.

@PolyHertz: Thanks for mentioning this script to the 3ds Max Plugins thread. It is just a toy, and sadly will become outdated as soon as 2010 ships. I don't know if it will be developed much further, I guess I'll wait to see what the new max version brings, to avoid spending hours upon a script that in the end will behave worse than standard tools.

@Psyk0: I'm sorry, I don't know PB this well, so can't give an answer. This script is just point - preview - cut.

I forgot to say that this new version runs on 3ds Max 9+ and for r9 requires the AVGuard Extension. If you got IllusionCatalyst, it was already installed for you.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Jesus I just played around with the illusioncatalyst plugins, this stuff is incredibly usefull and will probably speed up/completely change my current workflow. Thank you so much!
    I have one suggestion though, it would be great if i could use these tools without having to have the IC toolbar open. I bound a few of shortcut keys to them, but they dont seem to work unless i have the IC toolbar up. I like to have as few buttons as possible on my screen =).
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Peris,
    As you said, you need to keep the IC floater open to get access to instruments, anyway there's a workaround: open the modeling tools panel by pressing the checkButton named "Shape", then close the rollout named "IC.Shape" by clicking on the titlebar, like any other standard rollout. It will keep tools accessible, but collapses the floater. It's not like not having it at all, but I guess it's enough unobtrusive. IC has been conceived to work in 3ds Expert Mode, you can try it too. Thanks.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    ah great, that's what i was looking for. Thanks a lot again!
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    about a month has passed since the latest update to this script. I'd really like to know your opinions about the experimental fixed-distance split loop (You got it by keeping SHIFT pressed during loop preview and cut). Is it handy? Since it is not perfect, at least because of the geometrical algorithm, sometimes doesn't give wished results. Does it fail in situations critical for your modeling? Do you have any feature suggestion? Doesn't mean: "make it like NEX". I'm referring to the specific "experimental" fixed-distance cut.

Thank you very much.