Home Technical Talk

Multiple models per texture-map

I've always been bad at UVing and lately I've been noticing I can fit stuff a lot better into a rectangle than a square. I was wondering if I was to make say a texture that was 128x128 and have 2 models taking up the 2 halves of the texture if this is good or would it always be better to have a model have its own texture map.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I guess it really depends on the engine or project (e.g rendering,..). I always put multiple objects on 1 texture sheet as it reduces:
    - loading filesize in the engine/rendering process (important with giant texture sizes)
    - I have to edit less texture files at once - photoshop is often already slow enough with big textures - having to work on just 1 makes things nicer to work with.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    It can be good or bad depending on the situation. The consensus seems to be that if the two models will almost invariably be together where ever one is placed, then it's good. If however they will only occasionally be placed together, but often placed by themselves, then you are loading up extra texture memory that is not being used, and could go to something that is in view instead.