Home General Discussion

Coraline

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aesir polycounter lvl 18
Saw it at midnight last night. First off, WOW the art in that film was absurd. It was definitely the most visually inspring thing I've seen in a long time. The story was really good too. The characters and their acting? Fantastic. Gigantic old lady b00bs with pasties over nipples? I could have skipped that...

I saw it in 3d. It's the first movie I've seen with this new fancy 3d that came out a few years back. On the one side, the 3d DEFINITELY adds a layer of visual awesome. On the other, I feel like I have to concentrate through the whole movie, and I got a bit of eyestrain. I'm kind of on the fence about whether this 3d revolution is a good thing. As a guy that already wears glasses, wearing another pair on top of them isn't particularly fun.

Really though, as artists, you guys need to see this. It's one of those movies where you're just staring in awe at the mastery of a medium.

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    plan on seeing it tomorrow.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Loved the book, big fan of most of Neil's work. I'm gonna see the movie, but I really hope the music is different than what was in the commercials, cause that kinda music just grates on my nerves. I can't stand it.

But I do like the art direction on most of the characters, I think they look great, and emote very well. And if the music is the only thing that bugs me about the movie, I'll be VERY happy with it.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I was invited to see the opening weekend for it, simply sweet.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    the new 3d stuff is it still red/blue glasses as I have double vision so they've never worked for me, although the ones at universal/disneyworld are just the grey ones and work fine.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Dekard wrote: »
    the new 3d stuff is it still red/blue glasses as I have double vision so they've never worked for me, although the ones at universal/disneyworld are just the grey ones and work fine.

Yea, mine weren't red and blue. The lenses looked like normal sunglass lenses. Both looked the same.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    yup, I have some friends that worked on it at Laika. Can't wait to see it, they all tell me it's amazing (though they may be biased :P )
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    I cant wait to see this at the cinema, the shots in the trailer were excellent.
    with the 3D, how much depth do they project? the last time I saw a 3D film was at Disney world (i think) with polarised glasses and they made everything look like it was right in front of your face. It was fun until the novelty wore off, then it got tired real fast.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, the movie looks really cool visually. But the trailer kinda creeped me out. I may have to wait until I'm in the right mood to watch that one.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    damn ... for those of you who do not yet have kids just realize you will be subjected to watching all of your movies on DVD, months and months after release, unless you live close to family. Out of all of the movies I have missed in the past 2 years this one pangs me the most for some reason ...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    it's your own damn fault you couldn't keep your doodle in your pants!
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn ... for those of you who do not yet have kids just realize you will be subjected to watching all of your movies on DVD, months and months after release, unless you live close to family. Out of all of the movies I have missed in the past 2 years this one pangs me the most for some reason ...

That is what me and the wife do anyways, and we have no kids yet...Movies are too expensive now a days...IMO. But there is this janke theater up the road that has matinee movies for 2.50 and night time shows at 4.50 on the new movies...

http://www.cinemark.com/theater_showtimes.asp?theater_id=35

I just watched the trailer, looks really cool...
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I heard nothing but good things about it so far.

Super stoked to go see it as in was made here locally, and a gaggle of friends all worked on it.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I feel your pain AZ....the wife and I got to see something during christmass.....but for the most part we just grab a movie on the PS network.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18

see it after 10pm if possible, there weren't any little kids where i saw it. tons of scene kids however, which are annoying but mostly in the ocular sense.

i quite liked coraline, towards the end it started feeling like a bad videogame for ps2 though.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visually spectacular, really impressive use of 3D tech but...the story didn't quite do it for me. It wasn't bad per se, just didn't seem to click with me. And, yeah, the last act reminded me of a video game, complete with "boss" fights.
    I did appreciate the midwestern accents though :P
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    thought it was great and probably the only movie to list the animators first in the intro and end credits.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Saw it this morning, had some good and bad bad moments. Really liked the mouse show, somehow it reminded me more of stop motion classics then anything else. Great art, animation, and effects all around, but the characters themselfs seemed a little flat.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I third it--near the end, I even commented to the friend I was with: "I think I just started playing a video game..."

But the visuals really were amazing :) I loved all the forms of the other mother... looked really awesome. I wasn't totally amazed by the story in the movie, but the art alone was worth seeing :) It got pretty freaky at some points, but my friend who has read the book assured me that the book version is actaully much freakier, and then lent it to me... I'm excited to read it now :D

The 3D part really enhanced the movie I felt, even though I still feel a bit like it's gimmicky.

Either way, anything done with stop motion is worth seeing due to sheer insanity of the technique! I suggest any artist to definately go see it :)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Mezz wrote: »
    I third it--near the end, I even commented to the friend I was with: "I think I just started playing a video game..."

I thought the exact same thing! There was a particular part right before the climax/third act where I could practically imagine a little note popping up in the corner saying "New Objective!"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra wrote: »
    see it after 10pm if possible, there weren't any little kids where i saw it. tons of scene kids however, which are annoying but mostly in the ocular sense.
    It's not so much that kids are annoying so why go out... but more a question of what to do with your kids so you can go out.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's when you feel the overpowering need to do something to/with Mishra's kids before you're ready to go out, I'd seriously look into treatment.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    YUP gonna watch it.

Niel Gaiman is definately one of the most imaginative minds of our time.

Lets hope Joel Schumacher dosen't ever get ahold of the Sandman movie rights (I was at a book signing for American Gods, when he told us the Joel Schumacher inspired plot, and it wasn't pretty).

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/02/06/joel-schumacher-eyes-neil-gaimans-the-sandman/

Anyways, Looking forward to Coraline. Very fun little book.