Home General Discussion

Shacknews gets sold to....Gamefly?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "With its avid, engaged community and commitment to providing an independent voice for gamers seeking the most accurate and up-to-date news and information, it goes to the core of our vision as a company, which is to be the ultimate resource for the entire gaming community," added GameFly CEO David Hodess.
    Read: They have a lot of eyes that need to be looking at our service. Once we get done restructuring things, we expect GameFly subscriptions to double. Or we'll run shacknews into the ground trying!

I'd kind of like to know how they plan to stay as a "independent voice for gamers" when they're owned and pushing a company agenda...
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Independent voice for gamers my ass. While I think the writing and the way they present the news is better then most sites they pissed me off when they had a problem with me calling their buddies at 3Realms and a joke company full of douchebags; which I still believe they are.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Independent voice for gamers my ass. While I think the writing and the way they present the news is better then most sites they pissed me off when they had a problem with me calling their buddies at 3Realms and a joke company full of douchebags; which I still believe they are.

Eh? Why the hate?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ted, you must know this news especially struck a chord on my end. Oof, to say the least.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is worth noting that GameFly is not directly affliliated with any major game publishing entity. They just rent games, and their selection of titles is broad and varied. Although the whole "independent" angle is now null and void, I don't really see this as biasing Shacknews outright. Sure, there will probably be copious plugs for GameFly on their site going forward, but the commentary will likely remain the same as its ever been.

And frankly, it could have been worse. GameFly is actually a pretty decent company with fair policies and an appealing service that they are providing. I know that a lot of game reviewers swear by GameFly for getting access to the latest titles for a lot less money. If I had the time to play that many games, I would probably have a subscription myself. Can you imagine what would have happened if GameStop bought ShackNews?
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    haha the community would go batshit if gamestop had bought em.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I think Gamefly wanted Fileshack. Digital distribution in store for Gamefly members? I dunno but it seems like this came outta no where.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    I found out last night, while reading Shacknews. It was there while I was scrolling down. "wtf". Oh well. I had my fun in the comments section.:poly122:
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    adam: which is precisely why I posted it here. :)