Home Technical Talk

Mudbox weirdness

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys how goes it, long time lurker and long time ago poster here....

So I been having a problem with Mudbox when I subdivide my mesh, It seems to subdivide into hexagons and not quads

so this is the basic mesh
mudproblem1.jpg

and when I subdivide I end up with this

mudproblem2.jpg

any ideas why this is happening? I wonder if the exporter for max 2008 is busted.. any clues?

I use max 2008 32 bit and Mudbox beta 2, I export in obj form just in case this matters.

thanks

-Jose

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    looks like it's subdividing on the triangulation lines ... i seem to recall a few people having this problem, but i can't remember what caused it - maybe the obj file import?
    i don't use mudbox so i can't say for sure, but it certainly looks like it's treating your mesh as tris instead of quads, even though i can only see quad edges...
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Mudbox beta 2

why or how are you using a beta version of mudbox 1 ?

looks like an old bug that was fixed ages ago.
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Mudbox beta 2 for mudbox 1,

The weird thing is that this problem only appeared a few weeks ago, I had made quite a few pieces before and had no trouble until recently.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled but the problem persists.

the example is this one...the whole torso was made using the same method and worked fine, only until recently the garments started to act funny.
    conan_progress.jpg

what should I do?

The reason I still use this version of Mudbox is because I never had any problems with it, and I usually bake my normals in max...This screen is from max..
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    perna wrote: »
    triangle(s) in the mesh

Triangles or N-gons in the mesh.
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you elaborate on this Pseudo?

I exported the mesh from max as polygons, and also as quads with the same result.

-J
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, got it fixed. it was just Mudbox being dumb, got Mudbox 2009 and now it works. thanks for the helps guys.