Home General Discussion

who 'ere uses a mac

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
not the dirty variety, but I've been recently a little pissed off with my laptop and was thinking of playing for the other team, basically im debating over going all out on a new 17" of mac book pro and converting pretty much fully or just get a "cheapy" for travelling music etc etc and keeping my PC for "serious" stuff.

some questions to any users out there.

- does the single button mouse setup fuck you up? if you get a 2 button is it easy to re-configure programs

- how does the mac equivelant of maya/max shape up to the PC

- ive been having trouble finding out what(if any) moddable games (unreal etc) there are for the apple, any clues?

p.s if this should have been posted in tech talk please move it on up

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It is quite easy to reconfigure for multiple button mice. In fact, most Mac software supports this option by default, and will automatically respond to a 2-button scroll mouse in the correct fashion.

I haven't used the Mac equivalent of Maya. I don't think Max has a Mac version, but I'm fairly confident that Maya does. I would imagine it performs comparably to its Windows brethren. I've never really been big on using a laptop for modeling myself.

ID usually makes most of their games available for Mac at some point. And even if they don't fans eventually port them. So any ID engine-based games will likely run on the Mac. Ever since Mac switched over to Intel processors, the likelihood of Mac porting has risen. I know that there is a moddable 1st-person shooter engine for the Mac called Dim3. Try taking a look at that.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    *waiting for hawken post....

the mac maya isnt that bad, i used it a bit.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    24" Imac at work but I spend most of the time on vista via bootcamp.

Maya's retarded in osx compared to the vista version (I've installed it twice). I find it slower. Nicer and cuter looking ui though.

Shipped with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS and it works alright for me. Maya, Mud 2K9, PS CS4, Zbrush.
    - does the single button mouse setup fuck you up? if you get a 2 button is it easy to re-configure programs

It's single? I thought the left and right were just hidden. Feels that way for me anyway. I use it the same as a conventional 3 button. Not an issue in Maya anyway. I thought at first it looked weak for modelling and considered getting a space navigator. But it turned out okay once you get used to it. No sore wrists.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I'm on a older mac, so I can't contribute on performance, but in terms of usability I like the OS better. Takes a little getting used to at first cause your probably accustomed to windows, but once you get the hang of it it's just easier. My 2 cents.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, like, don't select a random file in a folder and start typing, hoping for the selection to move to the file named accordingly! Last time I tried it renamed the random file!
    Also it seems like shift+uparrow/downarrow does weird stuff on selections.
    Don't forget to put your DVDs in the trash too haha!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Future's looking good for game art on OS X. You can get Zbrush, XNormal, Silo, Blender, and Photoshop running on it...The Maya port is dismal though, when it comes to viewport shaders, and general stability.

I'm not too fond of it though. The OS hotkeys feel convoluted, you can't get under the hood, and Windows running on the same hardware will always be faster.

I'd say go with the aluminum Macbook (not the pro), it's beefy enough, cheaper, and way more portable than the Pro.

-edit- Oh yeah the next iteration of the OS should be a little trimmer, sort of like what MS is doing with Windows 7. Right now, my base OS X install is a whopping 20 gigs. Maybe hold off on that purchase til Snow Leopard's out.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers everyone- esp snowfly- that was what i wanted to know cheers.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    go with the small mac for on-the-road use, it's very good for that/more convenient than a windows-system. keep your PC for desktop use and all your options open, best of both worlds, really.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    if you get a mac you then have to wear black rim glasses, shave your head, drive a mini, and listen to moby. If you are prepared to do that, a mac is for you.

Oh yeah and your life will turn into this movie:
    mac-and-me-pochette-avant.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and buy your pants in the girl's section
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Love mine.

Remember that any mac made in the last few years will run windows, so you can avoid any of those "but you better keep a PC too!" quotes. I can either run Windows at the same time as OSX for quick things, or boot fully into XP for the full windows experience.

The mac has been a 3 mouse button system for years under the hood, but shipped with a one button mouse. Plugging a 3 button mouse in has worked for years. As mentioned, it ships with what *looks* like a 1 buttons mouse, but is actually a 4 buttons mouse with 2-way scroll ball.

I don't like the mac mouse though, and use my 3 button wacom mouse since the table is there.

Art software? I own Photoshop, Zbrush 3 and Silo. I've had to run blender a few times, but I've never tried Maya. You can't get Max to run on OSX, but you can use Parallels to run it emulated, but only in OpenGL mode. I'd assume that Maya, XSI etc would be the same. I tried to run Zbrush 3 emulated via parallels, but at that time the emulator didn't support pressure sensitivity so I'd just boot into XP.

Never played anything but Peggle on my mac, but: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/software/games?mco=MjQyMTYwNQ

For what it's worth, pretty much half the character team use macs at home.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    All macs at my office

You can only run one Maya unlike windows

Zbrush 3.12 seems rather crash happy vs windows

The way finder works, I hate it. Having to refresh a network folder by creating a new file or folders not appearing at the top of a list is irritating as hell.

The dock, having programs show whether they are running or not - confusing, you cant see at a glance what firefox/safari pages are at if they arent minimized to it,

Also the way the menu for a program will appear at the top rather than attached to the program like windows is fairly annoying if you want to multitask with say photoshop next to maya, menus keep disappearing when you switch etc.

Finally the mouse acceleration annoys me the most, there was more but I forgot it and just woke up.
    Most of these problems are minor but when you add them up, they do(at least for me) make me keep thinking about windows. You might not even have an issue with any of this, as I am the only one in my office who seems to :(
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    not me I tells ya ! nevaaarrr !!!!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Oh snaps.

I'm on Windows, and I'd never leave it. Windows FTW!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pop upstairs on Monday.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

im sold!

yeah see you soon rick
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly, it's not the mouse that used to mess me up, it's the shortcuts. Instead of ctrl+key it's apple+key and the apple key is located where the alt key is on PC keyboards. I also remember the finger placement bumps are on different keys.

I don't know if it's still the case but Diskwarrior was an invaluable tool. That was my favorite thing about macs, the disc utilities ran a heckuvalot faster.
  • danr
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I use a mac for everything but 3d. Great platform, great computing experience - especially when combined with my iphone. But for 3d I still use a hand built pc. That's where developer priorities and resources are still focused, and that's where the best software still happens. Until I see developers spending just as much resources on developing and maintaining mac 3d software and not just throwing a couple guys on doing a port I'll be sticking with windows.

I often see mac users complaining about getting shafted by developers for having to wait on ports, updates, or generally shitty versions compared to windows originals. Personally I think that if you choose your platform over your tools as a priority, you deserve what you get.

A port is not enough. The market for mac versions of popular windows gfx software is not as big. Therefore developers naturally put less resources towards porting or maintaining software on that platform. All the bitching and complaining in the world won't change that. It just makes you look dumb for choosing a platform over your tools. No offense to those who are happy with their mac/3d experience - this comment is not aimed at them.

Also, mac anti-fanboys are just as bad as any devoted apple zealot. Worse even. Hating on anything as irrelevant as software/hardware and those who use it is the height of douche-baggery. Get a hobby or something.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i think Rick stirling sold me when he told me that you can run XP and everything that goes with it on an intel mac, duel OS here i come.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    well i think Rick stirling sold me when he told me that you can run XP and everything that goes with it on an intel mac, duel OS here i come.

This is exactly what I do. I'm an interactive developer for a marketing agency, and most of my work is done on the Mac (lots of Photoshop, Flash, etc.) But I'm also the company's only dedicated 3D resource, so I have Win XP installed as well. I have Max 2009 on my Windows drive and Adobe Master Suite installed for both Mac and PC, so I can develop on whichever one I need (the only real issue is occasional font incompatibilities.) With one reboot, I can render a bunch of frames in Max and assemble them into a video in Final Cut.

The only downside to this is that the Windows installation can't read files from the Mac partition, so any work you do in OS X needs to be saved or copied into the WinXP partition before you switch over. Still, it's a pretty minor inconvenience compared to giving up 3DS Max and PC gaming altogether.

If you like Apple hardware and you want to give yourself as versatile a system as possible, I 100% recommend a dual boot Macbook Pro.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »

If I could only have one system I'd probably go this route myself. Like I said, love the platform, and I do wish that it was a more favorable one for 3d software development (maybe someday). Dual boot ftw.
  • headengine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headengine polycounter lvl 18
    Damn I knew I meant to pimp some imac action today at the Chinese... we were getting to busy chowing down on that plateful of mystery meat.

Two imacs in our house now.... love them long time. Do it!!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha yeah. I'm writtin this on my itouch cos my PC is busy overheating and continuously restarting.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well my laptop fried itself on thursday night, hope the memory is ok but its going to take me a while to sort out, so i went shopping and came away with a new 15" macbook pro, yay sexy new toy time, now just got to figure out how to use it
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any questions, just pop up.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    I want to get a Mac to play with it... the problem is that they're very expensive for the hardware they offer... for example, with the 600$ that a MacMini costs I can buy a PC with a Q6600, a Radeon 4670, 4Gb of DDR2 and a HD of 350Gb SATA ( which is better than the MacMini and even an iMac ). I hope Apple could be more competitive in the future.

On the other hand I will never understand why Apple does not release MacOSX for PC... I'll buy for 100$ because Vista Ultimate Release is way more expensive! But.. why to pay for the OS... I'm currently using a PC made by part and Ubuntu linux(which is free).

Just my 2 cents!
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the Mac is always gonna be more expensive than a generic computer that you built yourself, simply because..its a Mac. Its a brand, and just as you pay more for a pair of Nikes than you do for a pair of generic shoes, you pay more for the Mac. Also, and this could ofcourse be debated until the end of the world, you pay for a little bit of extra quality. Hardware that has tested to work well together under an OS that works well with the hardware.

Also, why Apple doesnt release osX for PC? Well, Apple isnt in the business of selling osX, they are in the business of selling Macintosh computers and they are using their awesome os to coerce people into buying their expensive brand computers instead of generic pcs. If people could just buy the os and hope for the best, then less people would be inclined to buy their hardware. Simple as that.

However, you could just turn your pc into a Hackintosh if you wanted to, there are several guides online on how to install mac os on a PC.

Does this make me an Apple Zealot? Maaybe... but atleast I have a slick white computer with an apple on it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    they also cost a little bit more because they are well built.

I've got too many macs, currently planning my next purchase!!

(my whole office is mac based, even down to the servers)

Too much to say here, but yeah well done. I run max over parallels, works a treat. Cinema 4d for modelling which is osx native and well supported.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not cool enough to use mac.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah well soon Jobs will be gone and there will be no more arguement...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    somewhat morbid thing to say about someone fighting cancer rolf
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No disrespect to those who use Mac,

but i feel like will ferrel in step brothers, just wanting to put my sack on it.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    somewhat morbid thing to say about someone fighting cancer rolf

yes it is .. apologies for that..
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    i like turtles.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL and they're tasty...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rens wrote: »
    No disrespect to those who use Mac,

but i feel like will ferrel in step brothers, just wanting to put my sack on it.

You want to drape your balls on a Mac?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness wrote: »
    LOL and they're tasty...

you seam to have something against endangered species....bad man
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    You want to drape your balls on a Mac?

...as though you haven't.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    At work I use an IMAC running VMWare Fusion for Windows within OSX. My second computer, a laptop is up for replacement. I was looking at getting a MacBook Pro, but now I'm considering a Dell Precision m6400. They both come to about the same cost (if I buy memory and HDD from third parties for the m6400), but the m6400 has some great options (quadcore, 1GB quadro 3700, up to 16GB RAM). But Apple's products are well made...and the ability to use Windows on their machines now...is just awesome.