Home General Discussion

Concept Art Workshop: Dallas

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Spark polycounter lvl 18
Just wanted to let you guy's know of the upcoming Massive Black event here in Dallas. Hopefully some of you can attend, as it is looking to be a big one. Here is the link
http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2091551#post2091551

Spark

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    sweet, any info on when? Where, how much?
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    that's awesome Spark. noticed some of you id guys on the list. but short of robbing a bank i could never get there. is why dreams are free a
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Depending on the dates, I may considering flying out for this one. Been looking for an excuse to come back to the US for a holiday.

-caseyjones
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to attend!!
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    I went to the last one, it was awesome, and would have been totally amazing to have spark and alex there.

Anyone anywhere near this thing who doesn't attend is a damn fool :)

I'm moving to Europe myself, so no monies for more plane tickets, but next time I hope!
  • Heathmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this event likely to be a month or so away or what?

Also for anyone who has been to one... do they cost to get in?

I just wanna go to be inspired and learn from the pros!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    I believe the going rate for this one is $600 US. They also accept first born children, testicles, and kidneys as payment. At least it's down from $900...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FUCK ME RUNNING... Guess I'm out..
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if there is an industry discount.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think there will be any discounts Josh, unless you mean hookups.

I think Sandbag is about right on the price, cost me around 500. But fuck it, people pay thousands to fly out to these things .

Not to get peoples hopes up, but the 2d guys at this thing totally blew my mind. And jason's color theory lecture will be useful for anyone who is self taught, or had a crap tertiary education.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    Asmuel wrote: »
    Anyone anywhere near this thing who doesn't attend is a damn fool :)

yep
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I'll echo whats been said above in that its definitely worth the price...plus you just claim all your expense's anyway so that takes a bit of the edge off.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    well 600.00 bones is a lot of freaking money.
    For 600.00 bucks I could buy a hell of a lot of art books and gnomon dvds.

Diverge Workshop is only around 55 bucks.
    Just sayin.
    But still, if I happen to have 600 bucks burning a hole in my wallet around that time, I would still love to go.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    also compare to the price of the Gnomon workshops, which run for 2 days, draw similar quality speakers (if not better and better prepared), are far better organized, and only cost $125. . .

Although, at the CA workshops they have dance parties and Android might show you his soul. . . so they've got that going for them.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ask your work to shout you Josh. Tactic got away with it I think :)

Another way to get in might be to offer to do some zbrush sculpting demo's, as they usually seem to be low on 3d guys. Your well qualified. They had dudes sculpting on stage from massive black shanghai last time who wont be there this time. Just a thought.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Well I supposes its different when you have a variety of workshops etc to attend...we very seldom get any down here, so it was a bit of a no-brainer....Plus pretty much all the Aussies I know that went to the NZ workshop had their tickets paid for them by their companies.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    It better be cheaper that 600 bones this year. shit broke the bank last year, and lets face it, money is a bit iffy this year.

also Gavku- Unit 16 is the shit. why dont you post some of those sculpt on here :P? I dont know how I found it, but I see you posting there sometimes so I image I must have followed your bread crumbs at one point. / ed thread derail.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope..
    ConceptArt.Org International Art and Design Workshop: DALLAS TEXAS - March 28-31 2009

The next workshop is coming hard and fast. Are you ready? We are.

Conceptart.org and Massive Black have put together a stellar list of instructors, great sponsors, and a fresh program covering aspects from the games, toy, film, and fine art industries. The venue is beautiful. We are right next door to a gorgeous museum full of world class art, and have more planned than ever before. When I say we have more planned, I am saying we are pulling out all the stops. Art, jobs, culture, music, performers, training, and even more will be happening. We have a great list of sponsors including Google, SMU, the Guildhall, ReelFX, the prestigious AFI film festival, Corel and many others. This is going to be a big show with more art than ever before.

Time is short. Much to do. The official announcement will come this week and all info will be released then.

Tuition is 600 bucks and we will have an early bird offer which includes free downloads, cheaper tuition, and more. All the info will come this next week. Start getting ready folks...we are going to Dallas and will be shaking the art world from the top to bottom.

We chose Dallas as it is central to everyone here in the US and is a very affordable city to travel to. Of course, the local sponsors are world class too. This is going to be a great show.
    Early bird better be $200 or so :D
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Lorne Lanning from Oddworld must bring my copy of Stranger to get signed!

$600!!! Don't they know this is a recession! Usually they release dvd videos from this event. $200 is reasonable, $600 better come with extra fries.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I went to the Seattle event and only got a smidgen of usefulness out of it. (I'm not a character artist nor an illustrator). It was mostly the key speakers and the polycounters I enjoyed, the rest was 'meh' IMO. Work paid my way, otherwise I would have not attended.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    yeah gnomon is alot cheaper and better structured, but hey, don't have to fly to LA ...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with Adam somewhat. The main thing I went for other than PC'ers and getting to see Kolby in action was SmellyBug creating a sculpture during the weekend.

He choose not to, so me and a few others decided to take it upon ourselves to sculpt concept figures on the second floor.

That and the figures were not nude, and had pretty crappy poses for the sketch sessions.

Don't get me wrong, the information presented was good, but there was nothing that really interested me except the figure lectures, and honestly what I experienced of those was minimal. You need a full class outside of a lecture to really start to get it.

I thought it was supposed to be in Shanghai this year? Was it decided it would be too limited?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shanghai will be late 2009
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, it's on my continent again, sweet. I may actually go to this as I'm more then curious.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, at $600 in these times I don't even feel good about asking work to pay for it ...
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TUITION:

$520.00 USD (Before Feb 1st 2009) + includes two free downloads of your choice from media.massiveblack.com)

$555.00 USD (Between Feb 1st - Feb 15th) + includes one free download from media.massiveblack.com)

$595.00 USD (From Feb 15th - March 28th)

Guess I'm out.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    DAMMIT! Just checked the dates for this thing and its being run about the time I was planning on traveling to the US, until my trip was cancelled due to work commitments!
    Here's hoping I can make it out to the Shanghai workshop.

-caseyjones
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    i got my ticket. anyone in texas got a couch thats going, or anyone want to go in on a hotel together.

i went to the sf one but it wasnt structured like a workshop. from what i hear it was the most chaotic. and i still came back with lots of knowledge, and tons of inspiration. so that being said, i would imagine a normal workshop would double up on both of those. my main attraction is lorne lanning, i heard his talk in seattle was amazing.

spark, you are one of the instructors yes? what are you planning on covering? 2d, 3d, general ideas? cant wait
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    lorne lannings talk was intresting. Part of me thought it was somewhat insightful- the other part, jesus this guys a nut job. The over all gist: "Acid will open your third eye."

0_0

it was a little odd to get such a huge endorsement for LSD on the first day from a keynote, but in some ways it was reminiscent of some Hunter S. Thompson, or Tom Wolfe logic, which somehow made it viable.

I loved every second of every oddworld game and was pumped to hear him give a talk, but I was a little bummed out after it was over.

Its possible I got entirely the wrong message out of it however, but it seemed to me to be pretty blunt :/
  • DoctorBone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be at Diverge and
    Reverie looking forward to
    meeting many of you.

The Bone Doctor
    AKA Mentler

• DoctorBone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be holding court in
    the Fine Art/Figure Drawing venue
    at the Reverie event in Dallas.

I live in Dallas so
    if I can be of help let me know

The Bone Doctor
    AKA Mentler
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh shit, mentler. i thought my browser was messing up. i refreshed a ca page and this page at the same time and all of the sudden your posts were up with your bright font on both pages. wierd. yeah, i would love to meet you though, ive cruised your sketch thread quite a few times on ca.
    im sure ill have some questions on dallas as the event gets closer. ill shoot you a pm when i do.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll go if someone wants to give me $600... :D
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well hot damn, im gonna jump on that offer! how far is lewisville though. if its close you should swing through and grab a drink or something
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lewisville is about 20 minutes from downtown Dallas.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well awesome, we should meet up then. maybe do a dinner the first night or something, that would be fun.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    I think a meetup would be cool especially if we get alot of polycounters to the area. Not sure what my schedule is going to be as I will be trying to prepare for the event ( still figuring out what I will be demoing ) but I hope to see alot of you guys there.

Spark
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to bring this back to the top, as it is now a little less than a month away from the event. And to get some ideas on what I might present that would be of interest if you were attending. I was going to show some work arounds and some of the process that I take, along with answering some questions while modeling, but not sure if that is interesting enough. Any comments are appreciated, and if you are going to be there we should try and get a Polycount meetup for sure.

Spark
  • Gill Bates
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This sucks because I'm only 20 min north in Frisco, TX, but I don't think my pockets can take the hit right now. Maybe next year. :poly141:
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Got my tix and everything lined up. Ill be there =) drop me a pm if u wanna meet up and hang with me and richkid.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phhiiiiiillllll, you finally found this thread.
    gill- if you are only that far away, you should at least come down for a dinner
    spark- any or your sculpting stuff would make me really happy for demos. your last couple dom war characters have had really clean sculpts that have a lot of tension to the surface. too many people overload it with alphas and everything gets lost in there.

i seriously cant wait for this.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, one question for my own curiosity and entertainment. if i go to the streets of dallas and yell out "the stars are bright, late at night" will everyone really chime in like in pee wee's big adventure...or will someone shout hippy and kick my ass?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I dont work in the industry but Ive always followed massive black since it started up. Id love to attend once just to see what goes on. It looks fantastic.makes me jealous in a way.
  • Jason Manley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the support. We have more than 200 demonstrations happening over the course of the event and all are within plain sight The other similar events who have followed since we have been doing this are lucky to have twenty and are shorter in duration. Every penny made goes into these shows. It is an all volunteer effort, including myself and everyone else.

Reverie presentations last up to three hours long and each one is supported by demos from killer talent, backing up with the speaker is talking about with action, not words There is one speaker per session and more than twenty screens surrounding the audience . Each screen has top pros supporting the speakers presentation with demonstrations. There are some surprises in store as well. If you are comparing how we did shows years ago, which inspired adapt, gnomon, cgcon and others, rest assured, our format has improved tremendously. I think those in Seattle last year can attest to this.

I am sooooo happy. The instructor list is killer and we have some very very special things happening. We hae partnered with the AFI film festival for the opening of the show which means there will be a host of film directors and producers also in attendance as well as hundreds of amazing artists from throughout the entertainment industry. Soon soon soon we will be in Dallas. Hope you can make it!

The focus of this show is on helping artists to maintain independence and financial success in this economy of studio closures and layoffs. We are covering all avenues for creative professional success including film, games, toys, Fine Art, the print market, and intellectual property development. It is the only event of this kind in the industry.

Each day is a balance of 2d, 3d, animation, drawing, painting and the final day is the business of art, legal matters for artists, and portfolio reviews/jobs fair. Marvel is on site the entire time scouting for talent as well as others.

Marko Djurdjevic - Illustrator-Concept Artist- Marvel
    Jason Chan - Sr. Concept Artist - Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
    El Coro-Art Director - Massive Black Inc.
    Justin Sweet- Art Director/Illustrator/Concept Artist - Carbon Canyon Studios
    Vance Kovacs - 2d/3d Concept Artist/Art Director/Illustrator - Carbon Canyon Studios
    Frank Beddor- Producer/Writer/Creator- Automatic Pictures (Something About Mary, Looking Glass Wars)
    Paul Jaquays- Senior Artist- Ensemble Studios (Independent)
    Andrew Jones - Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
    J.E. Sawyer - Lead Designer - Obsidian Entertainment
    Jason Manley - President Massive Black/ConceptArt.Org
    Jeff Brown - Senior Animator- LucasArts
    Brett Briley- 3D Character Artist - id software
    Alex Velazquez - 3D Character Artist - id software
    Wes Burt - Sr. Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Noxizmad - Sr. Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Chris Hatala - Animation Director - Massive Black
    James Kei - Sr. Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Carl Dobsky - Founder ConceptArt Atelier / Fine Artist
    Kemp Remillard - Sr. 2d/3d Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Rich Doble - Sr. Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Sam Brown - 2D/3D Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Dan Staton- 3D Studio Director - Massive Black Shanghai
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer- Rhythm and Hues
    Nick Constantine - Sr. Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Whit Brachna- Concept Artist- Massive Black
    David Levy - Senior Concept Artist - Steambot
    Sammy Hall- Concept Artist - Nintendo
    Brad Clark - Technical Artist/Animator - Independent
    Greg Manchess - Illustrator
    Irene Gallo - Art Director - Tor
    Jon Foster - Illustrator
    Limbert Fabian - Art Director/Gallery Curator - Reel FX
    John Mueller - Art Director - THQ
    Dave Dorman - Illustrator - Independent
    Aleksi Briclot - Art Director - DontNod Entertainment
    Lorne Lanning - Creative Director/Executive- Oddworld Inhabitants
    Sherry McKenna - CEO - Oddword Inhabitants
    Vitaliy Naymushin - 3d Character Artist - id software
    Christopher Appelhans- Senior Concept Artist - FrogHatStudios.com
    Jason Felix - Artist - Independent
    Marshall Vandruff - Artist/Educator - Independent
    Michael Mentler- Artist/Educator - Independent
    Shawn Barber - Fine Artist/Educator/illustrator - Independent
    Kevin Llewellyn - Fine Artist - Independent
    William Whitaker - Master Painter- Independent
    Mike Bierek - Concept Artist - Massive Black
    Mikko Kinnunen - Concept Artist - Bioware
    Shaun Healey - Concept Artist - Spidermonk Entertainment
    Bobby Chui - Illustrator - Imaginism Studios
    Kei Acedera - Illustrator - Imaginism Studios
    Jenova Chen- Founder - That Game Company
    Manny Carrasco - Artist - Stray Bullet Games

Hope to see you there!!! For the hundreds who are attending, thank you so much for the support. This will be a very very special event and the only one for North America for quite a while. We do not do this for profit...we do this for the art of it and because right now, more than any before, artists need to understand paths to independence.

www.conceptart.org/workshop has more info.

Best,

Jason
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, we are a less than a week away from this thing. any locals want to set up a meeting time or toss out some ideas for dinner?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Richkid, I will be busy as hell that weekend but there is also a party for the Shortguys friday night before the saturday night event of Massive Black if you are in town. They are a group that does movies/games and I will be there, you can find info on it at www.abosg.org or be at the londoner in downtown rhichardson between 5-2am, I will be there around 7ish. Then of course I will be at the party saturday night, and not sure on the rest of the week. Hope to catch you around, and I will be demoing everyday so come find me.

Spark
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm, stimpack and i are flying in around 9 that night. so i doubt we will make it out there. but i will definetly come check out your demos. i didnt see you on the curriculum, are you just like a sideshow. "HEY KIDS, LOOK AT THE 3D GUY" hehe. anyway, you, vitaly, and some of the other 3d are the main things im there to check out this time around.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I will be there mostly for the traditional stuff. Im really hoping someone will be there doing traditional sculpting!!

I was a bit dissapointed with the seattle work shops demos of 3d. Nothing was advanced or ground breaking. It felt geared toward all the students walking around, not the ind pro's that know a bit already. I do hope you tailor yours a bit =) c ya at the shop.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Richkid, I am up there on the reverie poster under ( Brett Briley ) still don't have my pictures of my work up there yet, as the web guy I guess is backlogged with things. I will be there all days so drop on by, and monday night is our demo. Stimpack, yeah it's kind of hard to hit huge technical or in depth talks that a few get, where if you hit more of the basics or thoughts on how you might approach things, and get a wider group appreciating it. We have a few hours marked out on monday night for our demo, so you might have to just hit us up on the side as we demo for a more in depth talk. Hope to see more people out there, as it is this Saturday-Tuesday!

Spark