Home General Discussion

Seattle Polycount Meetup #3!!!!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
So I'm heading back to CA for two months (Bungie contract is up) and I thought it would be cool to have one more meet up. I leave next week Thursday so I was thinking we could meet up on Wed (28th).

Not sure where (open to ideas) but the time would probably be @ 7:30pm.

So far Me, Iron Hawk and MLichy are going. Who else wants to go?

Replies

• DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    Im down again! do you guys like sushi?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Hey ironic you posted this! Im moving to washington this friday so I was hoping to meet some black and greens when I got there! Though Im living in issaqah ....is it hard getting around there? I really dont know the city or anyone there at all to be honest! Hope I wont get lost! X_X

Im not much for sushi , im more of a after work pub guy myself :p
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright booze and cooked food it is!
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Been busy with wedding planning but I might be able to make it out for my first ever PC meetup. :thumbup:
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaw... you don't like sushi...

Keen and I talked about it during lunch today and thought it might be better to pick a place around Kirkland/Redmond/Bellevue since Seattle seems like more a pain for people. Does this sound good or ?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Ooh Ooh Redmond! hehe
    Wednesday though eh? Midweek meetups = fail. I went to that Monolith industry drink night last week (thursday) and friday SUCKED at work. lol
    But heck choose what ya like. I've love to meet more PC's (missed TGZ at the Monolith event), but we're kind of grinding gears at work now. We'll see.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it was kinda too soon to do it this week and Fridays or whatever are kinda nucking futs at some of those places, and Keen is going to CA on Thurs or Friday.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I vote near bellevue since im going to be working there! (sorry im allergic to fish , so I would enjoy sitting there watching all you guys eat infront of me )

I would be making this face mostly

ough.jpg
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm down to meet wherever, and I promise I'll actually show up this time :)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Id be down just as long as i can bum a ride. An east side meet up would be preferable.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've suggested this before and I'll suggest it AGAIN! Going to http://www.eltoreador.com/ in Redmond again. I thought the beer was good and I'm pretty sure the food is good.

Also, if Wed. sucks I'm really down for whatever day as long as it's before next Thursday.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    I'm down for any restaurant. A couple off the top of my head that have been decent:

Desert Fire (Redmond...good but loud inside)
    Matt's (Redmond)
    The Keg (Bellevue/Kirkland)

They can be a bit on the expensive....but then again, it's the eastside!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    I'm down to meet wherever, and I promise I'll actually show up this time :)
    Same here...

I prefer anywhere on the eastside Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, maybe even Lynnwood... all work well for me. Its just too much of a pain to get in and out of downtown, even though there are some cool places down there.

TGZ where are you Kirkland-ish?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig,
    I'm in the juanita bay area.

Food + drink = good place to meet. (food that i can eat even better! but chips and salsa or fries would work quite well.)
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    insert stock east side sucks seattle rules propaganda here. you guys come to your senses, get out of the east side, and join the cultural explosion that is seattle let me know.

you all know im just messing with you. sheesh. dont get your fancy eastside panties in a bunch.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Doubtful I can come, but hey anyone is welcome to my party this Saturday evening, I got a lot of you on facebook and have sent you invites. Enjoy some good drinks, chat with some cool folks, maybe play some beer pong or Rock Band...guaranteed good time, PM me if interested!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seattle is just too crowded for me, simple as that. Going to the industry drink night was okay and all, but that's just not my thing anymore. Body can't tolerate drinking from 7pm to 7am anymore...probably why my stomach gave out. Hah.

I like things relatively quite now. Loud music is fine but after 9pm I want quiet, damnit! :)

/grumpy mr stubbles
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    they had some good bean dip and beer at the mexican joint. down for whatever. =)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Seattle is just too crowded for me, simple as that. Going to the industry drink night was okay and all, but that's just not my thing anymore. Body can't tolerate drinking from 7pm to 7am anymore...probably why my stomach gave out. Hah.

I like things relatively quite now. Loud music is fine but after 9pm I want quiet, damnit! :)

/grumpy mr stubbles

^ What he said!
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    they had some good bean dip and beer at the mexican joint. down for whatever. =)

And cheap beer that happened to taste quite good. $3 a pint!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Can't beat $3 Mac N Jacks... yea I'll try to make it!
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    So El Toreador it is? Can't wait to finally put some faces to names and meet some local artists.

If anyone needs a ride, I'll be coming from Bellevue. Just throw me a PM.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure that worked for me just fine last time. Margarita time!!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally Posted by Vassago viewpost.gif

/grumpy mr stubbles
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    ^ What he said!
    ^ What they said...

And El Toreador works for me too. So what day, time and anyone have an address for the place?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    insert stock east side sucks seattle rules propaganda here. you guys come to your senses, get out of the east side, and join the cultural explosion that is seattle let me know.

you all know im just messing with you. sheesh. dont get your fancy eastside panties in a bunch.

Lol. You eastsiders need to come over here and visit the neighborhoods sometime. 95%+ of the good cultural stuff in Seattle is in the neighborhoods, not in downtown. Just pick a neighborhood to suit your mood.

Feeling hip and well-paid? Go to Belltown. Feeling laid back? West Seattle pubs and beaches might suit you. Feeling like drinking way too much with a bunch of transvestites? Capitol Hill will do you great. Want some punk rock attitude? There's Georgetown for you. Feel like walking to 23 different pubs and crashing on Ryno's couch? Ballard/Freelard it is!
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like relaxing while watching some TV or playing some games? Then live on the eastside and do it all at home!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Feel like relaxing while watching some TV or playing some games? Then live on the eastside and do it all at home!

you forgot to add "and not be able to do much else without driving through traffic to seattle or some other place that's actually interesting"

if that's all you want out of life though... the east side is most definitely for you.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Or get the best of all worlds! Work in Bellevue, live in Ballard, but stay in Normandy Park with the fiance!

/cry
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    heh if it wasnt a bitch to drive I'd be up in the mountains. =p
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    IronHawk wrote: »
    heh if it wasnt a bitch to drive I'd be up in the mountains. =p

QFT
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    ^ What they said...

And El Toreador works for me too. So what day, time and anyone have an address for the place?

So to make it official. Next Wed. (28th) @ http://www.eltoreador.com/ around 7:30pm

That sound good to everyone? Vig you can find the address and directions on their website.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty certain I'll be there, may be a bit later though...around 8ish.

If anyone needs a ride and doesn't mind showing up a little later, let me know.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    if that's all you want out of life though... the east side is most definitely for you.

Lol.
    You're right, I'll take the 200% increased crime rate, higher prices, excessive noise, insane transportation problems, shitty drivers and overall stressful living of downtown Seattle over my quite, relaxing Redmond any day :poly124:
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Haha I love how Seattlelites and East siders are so divided. They are different types of places, rather than saying "my place is better for these reasons!", just say "hey I prefer this area!" I've lived on both, go back and forth often, and the reasons you guys give are silly. Lemme debunk some silliness.

Eastsiders; Seattle is not just a big scary crime ridden place with bad parking, there's lots of great places to go and the commute is a perfectly acceptable 15-20 minutes after the bridges clear up around 7, and sometimes I have to walk a few blocks from my parking place to my destination, reallllly not that big a deal.

Seattle folks; the East Side is not just a big suburban wasteland. Many local bands play in small venues on the East side too, you got a lot of diverse bars, restaurants, and clubs, while they are spread out more, they do generally have better parking.

This division between "which side to meet on" is getting in the way of everyone just having a good time together. I've lived here 21 years and I'm down for meeting damn near anywhere, I'm glad we all agree on meeting around 8 usually, because that cuts driving time down a ton and as long as the place is nice and cheap, I'm down. By the way, if we hit up the happy hour at El Toreador, then are still down for another great happy hour, The Matador is right across the street, awesome tequila list and top notch happy hour everynight starting at 10.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I'll try to make it.

Eastside? Westside?

Either way the public transportation sucks.

(Guess what Im having to use? ;) )

Edit: If you guys don't mind, I'm going to post this in the CA Seattle Sketch group as well?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh hey, so to use this space since it might garner some attention, Undertow from Conceptart is trying to find a place for this
    Just so everyone's in the loop, Sean and I had a chat about the next meeting a few weeks ago and here's what I want to run something by everyone. How does a big meet and greet akin to a gallery opening where there's game industry art to check out, food and beverage (non alcoholic or beer and wine), social interaction, and some games sound for the next event? I want to create a unique networking opportunity for other local artists that might not exist. Who knows, the next big creator owned studio might be formed as a result of a meeting like this? If anything I know that some new friendships will be created and job opportunities will ultimately be available in these kinds of settings.

In order for this to happen we need to do 2 things.
    - The first is talk to Martin about is if they like the idea and would be willing to have us there, and what day might work best for doing something like this. If the answer is "No, we can't do this here" we need to find an alternate location.

That being said are there any places in particular that folks think would be a great place to have such an event? Is anyone interested in helping put together this?

- Advertise the heck out of this! The goal is to get as many local studio artists together as possible. To name a few of the studios in the area there's Arena.net, Bungie, Amaze, Flying Lab, Gas Powered, Nintendo, Monolith, Microsoft GS, Nintendo, Pop Cap, Sierra/Activision, Surreal, Sucker Punch, Snow Blind, Square Enix, Sony, Valkyrie, Valve, Wizards of the Coast, and Zombie.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2074815&postcount=3970

So Im throwing it out there that maybe if your in a position to, you could offer your companies premise for such (good PR). Since the eastside has the Digital Arts Festival, this might be a chance for a west side version as it were.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxy... the El Toreador bar area is pretty small, our 6 people last time required we push together the only two portable tables in the bar... Just a little FYI

Also oxy what about the eastside industry night?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well when Keen and I met up with eBagg and some others in Seattle, we had to wait about 45 min to get a table, then we all crammed around it for a while, but it was fun.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxy... the El Toreador bar area is pretty small, our 6 people last time required we push together the only two portable tables in the bar... Just a little FYI

Also oxy what about the eastside industry night?

Hmm. I will let them know then. Maybe should get a raise of hands then so we can see how many already?

I know the east and west side have a industry night. Are you saying I should try to propose Undertows idea to them?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So long as things don't get super hectic at work (don't think they will), I'll be there.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well now that im here I guess I can make it to this one!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I have Wednesday off of work it seems so I'll be making it out.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    I have Wednesday off of work it seems so I'll be making it out.

Sweet! Yeah last time was really bad timing for you, glad you won't be working this time around.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone gonna be going through bothell? i get off work at 6 but dont have a car. bus ride is 2 buses at 1hour 40 min.... let me know. im at snowblind its in bothell. i can bus back though to downtown.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy i think i misread what you were trying to put together, yeah that sounds like it would be its own thing all together. But getting in touch with both eat and west side industry nights sounds like a good idea to build up the contacts to get it started.

I'll be there just so long as i can bum a ride from someone going.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frozan: wheres bothell from issaqah? Either ebagg or vig where gonna meet me at my place and I was gonna follow but if its near by maybe I can pick you up?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bothell is quite far north of Issaqah. It's like 10 miles north of Kirkland.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Shit, this would have been perfect for me.. Pretty new here, I live in Lake Stevens, but now it's short notice.
    Would be wicked to go if you guys do this again.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    TGZ,

If you need a ride, let me know. I'll be getting off work aroundn 8-830 and could pick you up afterwards if you don't mind being a little late to the party.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18