Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

unReal cyborg character - Wip

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
amadeux polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys heres a character I started to hash out. Ive been spending about abotu 2 1/2 hours on this design concept. Next I will get better detail on the concept so I can get started on the modeling.

Character01.png

-George

Replies

• tpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tpe polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool concept. It has a slight issue with perspective and forshortning, but that is almost always the case. I got given a similar one recently, did the model and the client said it did not look like the concept. I had forshortened the character so as it did not have perspective distortions that would otherwise have made the side of the face furthest away larger than the side closest too the viewer. The client thought the concept was drawn like that intentionally, the concept artist probably did not and would have changed it if he was aware of it. It is so common that I am not sure most people worry about it but it could cause confusion in some cases.

tim
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks tpe for the reply, I guess I see what you mean by the forshortning issue. Do you mean the left leg looks larger than the right? I just also noticed on arm being lower than the other, same length, but lower. Could you point out what particular points you meant by so I can understand clearly.

besides that I think I may have a small solution for getting the design correctly, but may bring up other details to look at. I pretty much got a turn-around some what done for this guy. its basically one layer of it with just the chassis, so its not done. I already spent about 4 1/2 hours on it. I,m still working on picking up the pace, I guess that just comes wiht practice so ill just keep on trying.
    Character01x2.png

this is my personnal project, so I gonna have fun with it and get pretty detailed, so ill end up with a hirgh res and a low res version. For now I'll just consider this practice for dominance war. I know I don't have a chance compared to the last competitions, but it should be fun worth a try.

-George
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    lean back.. lean back :P.
    looks pretty cool! the orthos look a bit weird (very wide compared to his thickness etc.) but the initial concept looks promising.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks japhir,
    not sure what you mean by lean back(observe the character before continuing?). I see how wide he looks, reminds me of a frog man, but Ive fixed that and moved on to modeling.

some of the progress:
    charRev01.png
    charRev01x2.png

charRev01x3.png

-George
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I meant that the character was/is leaning back.. a lot. he'd probably fall over if he where physically there :D. i like the back geometry!
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Looking good, the legs are a bit short though. I think the curve of the back is fine, as long as it's supported by the legs, which at the moment it isn't. Try pulling the feet back a bit (to the right in the side view), that should make him look more balanced. I'll do a paintover if that doesn't make sense.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys,
    thanks for your responces. I finaly got some time to pick back up on it again and made the chages to your sugestions as well as made a small up date. One thing that I need to work on for sure is my speed, I know Ive been spending too much time on this model and need to pick up the pace so I'll be working on that more than just eye-balling the same spot and readjusting too much.

charRev02x1.png

again thanks,
    -George
  • Sauron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sauron polycounter lvl 10
    I think it is easyer and better to make the highpoly model first, and only then high-based low, or retoped high to low

Sorry for my bad english)
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey sauron,
    thanks, i totally get what your saying, I hadn't really taken this route for character development, so before i started I really did contemplate wether I should start highpoly then decimate it or make a low poly then build a high poly from it. What made me decide to take the low poly approach was that I thought I should perhaps build to the topology for fluent rigging than break a highpoly down and spend time adjusting the mesh. Really I don' tknow too much about either process and im really just doing this in practice for a class asignment. I think I will take the highpoly appreach next chance I get. once again,thank you for your responce.

George
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nah your on the right track,

blockout basic shapes, put in LP layer
    duplicate and put in new HP layer
    model highpoly using LP as starting point
    remodel or amend LP