Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lighthouse scene (WIP)

Im working on a new scene based off of http://flickr.com/photos/bobindrums/852622369/sizes/l/ in maya.

lighthouse_1.jpg
lighthouse_2.jpg
lighthouse_4.jpg

It's not a lot of polygons right now, and I plan on adding the dock and a boat later on. Besides critiques, I need some help on how I plan to set up my shaders for it. I'm thinking that for the lighthouse, I should have the bottom frame holding it be a 1024x1024 texture and the upper half 2048x2048 separate. Do you think this is wise? I'm thinking it makes sense since these two parts are different materials.

Also, can I get away with having this much floating things in the model? I've been told that game engines don't really care how you model anymore, and I want this to be able to go into engines such as Unreal3.0.

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    are you going to do any normal mapping? You can probably save a bunch of tri's if you normal map that metal grate thingy on top of the door, and probably even reduce the sides on your door knob, since it's so small compared to the rest, you can get away with less sides. what's happening with the roofs on those floating parts. they look like they have some heavy tri usage, but then it's covered up with a plane?

I can see there's alot of modular peices in this, so you may even be able to fit it all in one 2048 but don't take my word on that

your floating geo is fine, it should import fine into UE3
  • _Aurel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your advice, alex. I made the roof very thin, and added support beams to it. The clipping is just the result of the beams being so close to the roof and then showing through at a certain distance (shouldn't be an issue in-game).

Anyways, I added most of the suggestions to the scene, and also started adding a new major asset to:

boat1.jpg
    boat2.jpg

I'm basing it off this reference: http://picasaweb.google.com/royalblossoms/CTTripUdated#5072074549026174082
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    light house looks like an interesting piece to work with
    looking forward for this