Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gambit

Sup fellas!! I wasn't sure if I should have just posted this in my original WIP thread so I created a new one, the origional gambit thread I modeled him a while back and just recently decided to use him as test dummy to practice game res characters, this is my first go at it so feel free to rip it apart and tell me where I went wrong.

the character is a realtime render out of Maya

gam_09.jpggam_09.jpg
[IMG]http://<a href=https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/502529/gam_09.jpg target=_blank>https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/502529/gam_09.jpg</a>[/IMG]

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    looks pretty solid. the lip lining looks too sharp but other than that good work.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Hair looks flat, flat as in as if painted directly on the skull.
    Also the lip thing mentioned by MM.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice one, I fogot about this character all together.

What's the polycount on this?

I would be tempted to add another cut to the top of the ear, also did you not paint far enough on the uv's for the edge of the ear. I see white lines on the side.

Looking good though.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    needs eyes! ;)
    Looks very good, but hair needs some volume, dont be afraid to use more polys there, also make the ear more round, the edge at the top is very eye catching.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really cool, I second the extra loop on the top of the ear, maybe 2 even.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Sweeeeeeeeeeit
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking really slick!
    Just have to echo the other comments about rounding off the ear slightly and some volume to the hair. Maybe even a few stray strands of hair with alpha planes.

-caseyjones
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    No point in restating what everyone's said sofar.
    But he really isn't looking like Gambit to me. It's the hair, really. Although I'm sure he will as you progress (can't wait to see what you do with the eyes, cause gambit's got FREAKISH eyes!)

But yeah, you have some serious serious skills. Good stuff.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    is this the same thing submitted for the ga comic character comp? - if it is i'd love to see it all finished with body and all - the wip posts were excellent

suggestions - to make it a bit more livley, despite the slicked bakc hair, uses some alphas/planes of hair to male it less asymmetrical - add hair overlaps of the 'uniform' headgear at the back and near the ears - there's no way in reality that all the hair would stay tucked in unless he had a neck brace...............
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt mention it as yet but its not an exact replica of gambit its a more older and wiser take on the character.

MM- at the time I sculpted this guy I saw it and was too lazy to make the change and its back to bite me in the arse.. glad you like it though.

LEViATHAN- I will be attacking the hair tonight

BradMyers82- thanks man, the poly count is 802 faces and 1566 tris 2048x2048 Diffuse, normal map, AO map, and a spec map. the ears are on the fix list.
    the white lines you are seeing are from the lights behind the ear.

Davision3D- thanks man i was trying to get as much as possible with less polys but I will work on that badboy some more as I do feel its too flat.

Target_Renegade- will do man, thanks!!

caseyjones- I will work on the hair some more. Thanks

pangarang- thanks alot dude, im not trying to make a look alike of any particular gambit, just my own iteration of a more older, mature, grungy gambit while trying to keep the concept as close as possible to the origional. but definetely not a look alike.

achmedthesnake- no, I didnt participate in that contest, I would have loved to submit him but ofcourse that was against the rules as i had started him before the contest. your right i will be adding some alpha planes to the hair, probably a short ponytail and some random hair strands sticking out.

thanks fellas! really great responses ima jump on those issues when i get some time...
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    That polycount is insanely low incomparision to the texture map sizes you're using.

Good work though, I like the texture work.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just throw an eye at him,and take care of the hair,you might even wanna have a seperate geometry for the hair,could even opt for alpha.
    the character looks cool and has a lot of potential
  • ivan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's not Gambit without the hair - might as well make Wolverine with a bowl haircut... Looks like the "wild cajun" from Godfather fanclub meet off the exit 13 :)

Skin shader and overall detail is very good. Demonstrates serious skills!