Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Egyptian Warlord (with 7 effects) [UT3 Final V1.0]

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
fationpicegypt.jpg

I have finally finished the 1.0 version of my UT3 Char, it has a lot of new stuff. I originally made this fancy effect: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ofKw6xA9w&feature=channel_page[/ame]
But now i have made 7 effects that are more or less variations of it. I hope it can be seen in the headshots what they are about, but they really need to be seen in motion anyway :). All the effects are also on the new FPV arms.
headshots.jpg

New in this version:
- custom FPV arms
- 7 material effects (also on the FPV arms)
- 3 new heads
- 1 new armor skin
- Weapons (for putting it on the character)
- Custom character selection animation

Download V1.0
The first time loading takes some time.
It can also look like its freezed but it is just calculating shaders and saveing them in a cache file, afterwards all characters load fast.

I have also writen a making of with a lot of pics: Egyptian Warlord - Making of

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    dude you're crazy
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That's pretty nifty.
    I assume the different variations correspond to differerent degrees of damage.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    This is a SERIOUS amount of work! Congrats on seeing this one through to the end and releasing a great pack- its a cool finished product :)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    that is just awesome!
    I am not a character artist but the shader making of part is definitively super useful :)
    Thanks for sharing
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    models look fantastic ,great quality to the models and the shaders! :) Might just be me but the presentation here is not great with red and blood blobs everywhere and a wierd font. I just think these could be showed off a lot better with a more professional presentation.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah dude you are seriously insane. this is awesome.
    and where the heck do you learn this kinda stuff:
    material.jpg

??
    just looks insane and I have no idea what any of those do heh
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Holy shit man... this is sick!

I can't even start to imagine the ammount of work you've put into this! Congratulations on getting it finished...

now, I wonder about the performance of having it ingame.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Wow. Didn't expect that! ^^ Seriously awesome! :) But I agree with Ged, your presentation is not as awesome as the rest :) still awesome though :D
  • ManxViking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely insane work, could just as well be an official character pack. The tutorial was very interesting and a great reference.

Few things, I haven't played with the UT3 material editor yet, but will be in time, the special texture you used defining the glow maps and the metal shaders how is that material set up, is it a type of blending map using the RGB values and 3 different shader properties? In which case the cyan on the map is a combination of the gold and fresnel effect, or is the cyan a completely different shader and they are seperate by their specific hue? (adjusted with brightness). Hope that makes sense.

Other thing is, as you say, the difference between the max render is very different to in-engine render, the colours you used in the diffuse map are really different to the finished result, did you plan it that way with the colours, or did you have a play around a bit with the shaders and decide to alter the colours for something that suited better?

My only crit would be the alternate heads, the skull in my opinion could do with another pass of wear or dirt to rust it up a bit, looks a little plain. The transforming effect itself is really nice though, and that hand looks damn creepy.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    qbounchfx: most of this is just ut gameplay stuff that has already been in the shader :P
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy stuff, been watching the progress of this and the end result definately delivers :)
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe the correct term is 'AAA'. I was amazed by the quality when I opened the thread, and that material setup is unreal, if you'll excuse the pun.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Really impressive work, thanks for posting!
    I love how the effect looks on the hand there :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice job!
    Really cool that you are taking UT characters to the next level like this.
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    Well done, nice job. I´m going to get this and check it out
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    awesome
    that hand looks amazing - the effect but also the hand on its own looks amazing.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    thx all! :)
    Jackablade wrote: »
    That's pretty nifty.
    I assume the different variations correspond to differerent degrees of damage.
    I thought about that but unfortunately I am not a coder. Would be very cool! The main effect happens nearly randomly and there is also one that changes slowly over time.

@ Ged
    All the red is there because then it merges with the UT3 UI. But i agree the presentation needs more love. I think i will make some nice renderings in the engine for my portfolio.

@ bounchfx
    I learned it through trial and error and playing around. :) This site from Hourences is always a great help: http://book.hourences.com/tutorialsue3matexpressions.htm
    As Neox already said, a lot of that expressions are for gameplay stuff. The effect is basicly the stuff at the bottom.
    You may also like my magic texture that controls the main effect: musternew2.jpg

@ [HP]
    I played with 22 bots of egyptian chars, most of them had effects and i got no significant performance loss. :)

@ ManxViking
    Yea, basicly the R G B channels act as masks for different material effects/setups within the material. They can also be combined which i did with the cyan.

I had to play around to get that gold effect, i ended up with setup in which the gold is defined by the reflection map(tinted gradient with different colors), specular color and diffuse color. Its very fake, i need realtime raytraceing reflection! :D

The problem with the alternate heads was that i needed to put the skull in the small facemask uvw region and the zombie head in the helmet uvw space, therefore also had to mirror the full skull.

Here are a bunch of screenshots:

handfx.jpg
    The hands and all the effects can also be previewed in the character selection, there is also a interesting custom animation ;) (The offset is fixed in the final)

armor2.jpg
    The 2nd armor skin and their teamcolors. The Weapon has also an axe and sword variation (like its transformed in that). But its just for the look, maybe i find someone who can code it into a real weapon with transforming.

handsfpv.jpg
    FPV hands ingame

Random ingame screenshots:
    6ES.jpg
    2ES.jpg
    22ES.jpg
    18ES.jpg
    21ES.jpg
    30ES.jpg

I cant show the effects well with screenshots, so plz download it if you have UT3! :)
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome. Thanks a lot for the documents also :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome model! Are you going to be submitting this for the MSU Phase?
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what i call pure Awesomeness!!,i have no other word,just look at ur effort in making all this.pure determination and sheer hard work.
    Keep it up

Vj
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, nice screen shots! Even more detail in those models than I thought.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Nice!! make some slick renders, for you portfolio! This is freaking awsome!!! Deffly downloading this tonight!
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    You're a character god
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    this... is... awesome dude.
  • Marnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    holy shit man, great work!
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Holy Shitzenheimer that's bad ass. A mummy version would also kick ass.

That shadertree is fucking scary.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    *Drooling*

This is awesome stuff man, thanks for the walkthrough as well, very interesting!
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    crazy!!! (in a very good kind of way ;) )
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    polycount has a new banner :)

looks great!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Thx all :)

@ Lee3dee
    I had the 0.9 version already posted to phase2 of the MSUC. I originally only wanted to add FPV arms for the final 1.0 but oh well. :)

Here are pics that show the different weapon transformations:
    swordthingy.jpg

and some more screenshots:
    20ES.jpg
    16ES.jpg
    9ES.jpg
    3ES.jpg
    5ES.jpg
    7ES.jpg
    15ES.jpg
    24ES.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is sweet dude, is there more you are hiding? HA Ha.

Congrats on the banner also.
  • Skiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    The model looks wicked in the screenshot for sure. I would love to check it out but for some reason the model wont load and actual makes the engine stagger and freeze. This is with the latest patch and Nividia drivers. Its also a Series 10 card and quad core pc so hardware is not the issue... maybe I missed some config file change? Any help in making this load in engine would be most appreciated.

Now make more evils! :)
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    The first time loading takes a lot time.
    It can also look like its freezed but it is just calculating all the shaders and saveing them in a cache file, afterwards all characters load fast.
    I wonder how long it takes for you because you seem to have a very fast system?

@ BradMyers82
    yea, im hideing 100 more screenshots! ;)

17ES.jpg
    26ES.jpg
    27ES.jpg
    1ES.jpg
    10ES.jpg
    14ES.jpg
    11ES.jpg
    25ES.jpg
    12ES.jpg
    17ES.jpg
    23ES.jpg