Home General Discussion

Diverge Workshop - Feb 2009

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
http://www.divergeworkshop.com/

Another great workshop event in Dallas! Lots of great tutorials to watch and learn :D Thanks Tony for setting this up again!

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome. Too bad I'm across the country...

Did anyone ever get ahold of the videos from last year?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    nope, I asked several times. I was kinda disappointed with the last one, not any place to plug in near the front for note taken on the laptop and if I did plug in it was near the back and then my blind ass couldn't see. What I saw was awesome, but with lack of proper notes I left not learning much then I did before going in. Trying to remember all that awesome info, just ended up becoming a big blur with too many people with too many ways to work, it all ended up getting jumbled. :D

This time I'll have to just bring pen and paper and try to take notes. Or would be awesome instead of having the guys just go freestyle to have some handouts or something with some of the overview, shortcuts, etc they will be going over and we can add our own notes. Also look for places to eat before you go.

Not that I don't think I would get $55 worth of notes and networking from the gig, but I'd rather spend that on a tutorial at gnomon, where I can actually go back and reflect on it, rather then just try and remember.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    Well the videos couldn't come out for legal reasons..:( I'm glad i finally got a critique on the events....no one ever picks apart the event. :)

Dekard you should have had a sketchbook or something for notes. If you want i can reserve a table for you at the new workshop. there are about 20 desk that people can set up at this time. :)

I'm sure u can get more out of attending the workshop than a Gnomon dvd :) the workshop has changed many peoples lives. Several people have ended up with great job opportunities just from attending all the Dallas events. Just bring your portfolio and a great personality

If you wan to call me I'll make sure you have a table bro! Come out and support the community and let some people know who you are.

Sorry you were disappointed with the video thing, but you would be happy to know that there will be 3 HD cameras filming the event and Paul Richards demo will be recorded. He is drawing with pencil and paper so I dont have to jump through legal tape to get his pretension out. The girl and guy that filmed the event last time FLAKED on me so i'm still waiting on the footage myself.

Also I' wish i was at the point of Massive black or Gnomon so i could afford to produce and give away DVDs. Diverge is seriously on the brink of this happening!!!!

Just a few questions?
    did you learn anything at the last one? I love listening to everyone's point of view so i can evolve the workshop. I think its really neat having something like this in Dallas! Did you meet any new people?

SERIOUSLY call me and i will make sure u are taken care of bro!

Tony
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    O lee thanks for posting this.....lol that's what i came here to do!!!!

here are some pictures from the last events

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68891416@N00/sets/72157606196834353/
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, Not poopooing the event, it was awesome. I could have learned alot. But not having been to one, I stupidly thought I'd be able to take notes and work along with the presenters on my low battery laptop, but when I showed up the room was 100 feet long where if I wasn't sitting in the front few rows I wouldn't have been able to view the screen and no outlets for me to plug into, so I had to just watch and remember which is hard to do after watching like 20 hours of presentations.

Just isn't my cup of tea, I don't learn that way, although it's awesome for networking and meeting up with buds in the area. I'm a tactile person, I can only do so much watching some dude and then I have to try it myself, I've been known to take a sound recording so I can later go back and review what I've been taught.

Again, not poopooing the event, I'd recommend it for everyone that can take good notes. The last one was my first one I've attended and with the sparse information on the site, I didn't know what I should be bringing with me. This time, I know to bring the pens and paper. :)

I don't really recall learning anything just because of the vast amount of information provided, I just kind of went numb. :) I met up with Brett and Bobo who I knew from here, that's about it.

What you may want to see about as a start would be paying an additional 10 bucks or something to that effect to get a podcast or something. Possibly. Anyhow, love the event, was just kinda irked at the last one. Someone sent me their notes and I couldn't read em. :D
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to go, maybe by then I will have a job doing something (I am going for a high school substitute teacher job! Haha) and it will afford me the opportunity to go.

I chit chat with this guy at the lotus event! :) That was a fun time also!
    http://www.divergeworkshop.com/2009/images/web/artists/nolting_profilePic.jpg

One other question, the life drawing? Is there going to be a model? That would be interesting to do...
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dekard.

The new venue is very compact and isn't 100 ft long like Reel FX. :) Hope that u change ur mind and give me a call man. :)

There will be life drawing Models. Trying to get them booked fr all 2 days. There will be one that Friday night for sure. :)

thanks guys
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    The diverge workshops have been great fun. I'm so looking forward to this one, great lineup Tony!!
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Wish I could be there, but something else has come up. If you can make it, I would suggest it as it's a great place to learn and meet others in your field.

Spark
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I was lucky enough to be able to attend a mini workshop during my trip last fall, this was LOTS of fun, great people, Motus digital is a very cool place and the lineup is so cool that I wish Dallas wasn't so far away :(

if you can attend, DO IT ! :)
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tony is GREAT and AWESOME. Going to Diverge is like going to the playground AND having superpowers. It will be a good opportunity to get all revved up for DW4.
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    Last time was alot of fun. I do my best to make these events because they tend to keep me fresh and interested in the industry. I thank Tony for last years because it inspired me to learn more. It's also a great place to network. Def. bring a sheet of paper or sketchbook. :)
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    with that lineup... ya gotta go. way better than some gnomon vid.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! the whole dallas game industry seems to be excited about this workshop! i got a ton of support emails from employees at several TX game, and studios!!!!

-tony
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i hate to bump this over the concept art thread but there is an addition to the demos..........

Jonathan Hardesty will be demoing traditional oil techniques all three days of the event. :)

http://www.jonathanhardesty.com/
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    hey spark, have you told mb you arent going? last i checked the list you are still an instructor. hehe.

i got me ticket, ill be there. coming in from cali. if anyone has a couch or floor, stimpack and i will be coming through. or, if anyone from out of town is coming in and wants to pile into a hotel, that could work as welll

i went to the last sf workshop, was pretty fun. i learned a lot from coro's session, and just walking around and peaking over shoulders.

dekard, thanks for shooting me this way.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wait, holy shit. nevermind on dekard shooting me over this way, i thought this was another thread on the massive black workshop. HAHA. now i want to go to this, damn.

ok, well question still stands to all the dallas natives running around here, couches and floors, nights of drinking. thats all im looking for. a good time in texas at the end of march
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey richkid..........if u want to crash at my place u can and ride with me to the event :)

diverge that is :)
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man, that would be awesome, i dont know if i can make it to that one though, between the mb workshop and weekend classes at the concept design academy, im pretty tapped on money. ill hit you back though if i have the money to make it to that

thanks
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am bumping this...Mixer is tomorrow!

I am excited! I can not wait to see everyone there!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be there.

This will be my first Diverge! :B
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm going sat and sun. gonna miss the mixer tomorrow i think. oh well.. i don't like meeting new ppl anyways.. u all suck.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    I'll be making it out there.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i guess i'll be there...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be there. This will be my first Diverge! :B

I get to meet new people!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm... good point...

good luck finding me. I'm going to be hiding.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to everyone that came out ! This was the largest one yet!

It was freaking awesome! I learned a lot ! Paul Richards was totally freaking awesome!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aye, fun event.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Videos or it didn't happen!
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah there is a video being edited right now, and i hope it turns out proper.

I really hope next time i can afford proper capture tools.
  • Bryan Cavett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bryan Cavett polycounter lvl 19
    Great event Tony... thanks for organizing it!
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I could have spent 55 dollars any wiser...
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tony, great event. I learned so much in 2 days. Met up new people, saw a glimpse of skankerzero, his ninja outfit was very stealthy.

I videotaped most of Dusty's lecture on zbrush and max using my camera & Shawn's demo on how to make stuff with the TRI editor. They came out OK, so I'm looking forward to the videos. I noticed that the video camera woman kept getting up during the sessions and taking the camera with her, missing important things. Hope someone else was taping the event also. Next time, give me a camera and I'll tape it for ya :D

Paul Richards session was hilarious! everyone tried to draw a "Indestructible, Pet, Ninja Princess Catholic Schoolgirl Nun"

Dusty Nolting (Max, Zbrush)
    diverge1.jpg

Sammy Hall (concept painting)
    diverge2.jpg

Shawn Spetch (Max, Zrbush, TRI engine)
    diverge3.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I'm usually a quiet, shy one. Once I get comfortable, the pants come off!
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IM GOING BALD!

Glad everyone had fun.