Home Technical Talk

Quick stupid max question

Longtime maya dog trying to learn new tricks.

Editing a mesh with an edit poly modifier, but the X,Y,Z buttons under the edit geometry rollout aren't useful as they seem to be aligning to the object's local axis, rather than the world axis. I've googled freezing rotations and transformations (assuming max uses the same terminology for this that maya does) but these don't seem to reset this object's axis. I can still see the selection bracket around it is sitting slightly skewed.

How do I freeze these transforms on this object?

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    max doesnt really have a freeze transforms tool. like mayas you can switch between the local and global etc movement with the dropdown in the pic. when you are done a model, it is a good idea to reset the xform with the xform modifier to clear out the vert transform info, in that way its kinda like ft in maya.

transforms.jpg
  • glib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in that pic of yours, if I for some reason wanted to grab a bunch of verts near the top of the image and make them flat in the X-Y plane (global X-Y plane, like the base grid in perspective view), there's no quick way to do that other than scaling them flat maya-style? I was just getting to like those X,Y,Z planar buttons too...

[edit] Nevermind, figured it out. For anyone else having this problem, use the 'Reset Xform' utility from the utility tab, then collapse the stack.