Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for C&C on my Pirate dude here...

Junkie_XL
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
I put this Pirate...Spawn...uh, toy, character to the side for a while but I want to bake the detail to low poly now. I was wondering if the fine folks here had any crits or recommendations on changes to the high poly before I do that? Thanks.

[needs_relinked]

[needs_relinked]

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hi Junkie_XL

imo your biggest problems are the folds (use refs and practice on some easy test meshes) and the weird and kind of random skulped arms
  • DockRock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    PIRATE SPAWN!!!! I haven't seen this figure in a long time but as soon as I saw this model i could tell who it was! So 10/10 right off the bat for likeness and familiarity!

The variation in his materials from his clothing to his skin is great! The leather on his boots is the only material that seems a little overbearing, it conveys the texture but it seems more rugged and deteriorated than it probably would be. You could probably tone that down. Other than that take this baby to completion! Slap some colors on him and pose him and you got yourself a mighty fine portfolio piece!
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    My suggestion would be to tidy up some of the anatomy, a lot of the details look like random folds and tendons rather than ones that are following any sort of underlying anatomy.

Right now the rib cage is an odd shape and looks really big as well as looking like it spreads out to the sides under the armpits instead of wrapping around to the back.

Its also hard to see any definable muscle or bone structure in the arms.

Go get tons of reference and give it a good pass! :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    (image needs re-linked)
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    You really dont need to try and find similar skin reference, crack open some anatomy books and look at the bone, muscle and tendon structure of the body and you'll see what you can expose when you eat away at the skin. It's how you'll make this look believable.

Even the ref photo you've shown shows more definition for biceps and deltoids. The ribcage is also smaller in the ref and doesnt drop down as far onto the stomach.