Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Here

hey everyone, great forum and a lot of amazing artist. i'm still really new to 3d so i hope some of you guys can help me out.

working on this deformed snake ninja character right now and i'm not too sure how to do the mouth. when he talks it will move like a normal mouth but i also want it to be able to open really wide like a snakes.

i'll start on the body when i'm happy with the costume design.

pythonfaceaq7.pngpythheadwirewc4.png
pythonbodyfrontqh8.png
my.php?image=pythonfaceaq7.png

Replies

• Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start!

the hip and upper leg section could be a bit beefed up, its pretty slim for my taste.

keep it up :)
  • pestibug
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    hey splatpixel, welcome to polycount.

Very nice for someone new to 3D (altho' I think this is not your 1st attempt :) )

Anyway, great design, interesting guy, really cool. Very curious to see what else you will do with him.
    Now more techincal stuff, IF you want to sculpt him later on in mudbox or Zbrush, it is important to model in quads. So try to get rid of as many triangles as possible. If you don't want to do that, then in general the mesh is fine.

about your question, here's a paintover:

splatpixelfe9.jpg

In cases like these, once happy with the general shape (like the mouth in this instance) I select all the faces of the lowerjaw, and then detach them. The red dot on the paintover is the pivot along which the jaw rotates.

So, don't move the detached mesh just yet, but adujst its pivot untill its in the right spot. After that rotate like in the paintover and close the mesh again. Don't forget to fix up your edgeflow to a bit so it's all nice and smooth again.

Now when animating, it will look perfect.

After this, just model the inside of the mouth!

The pieces of string could be really simple geometry, or alpha planes that just stertch when animated, since there's no detail on them anyway.
  • CasperNilsson
    http://www.hkcuk.co.uk/reviews/images/IchiTheKiller.jpg
    youtube.com/watch?v=2ehwdNC4lq8
    look at 6.53
    reminds me of your concept with the mouth
  • dolemite
    I agree with the hips. They seem a little too narrow. The musculature around the pelvis seems a little strange.

Is the neck a little too tall?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah kinda reminds me of the vampires in blade3 and venom :D good start, keep it up

G2%2015.jpg
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Looking at his mouth, I wondered, if he opens his mouth really wide, how to the cords go taut again when he closes it? I thnk he should have a draw string that he needs to tighten in order to close his mouth.
  • imb3nt
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    Dekard wrote: »
    yeah kinda reminds me of the vampires in blade3 and venom :D good start, keep it up
    kinda reminds me of ichi the killer if anyone else has seen that.

51ZRCB63DML.jpg