Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Website Up!

Hello everyone! I've finished up my model and also revamped my website. Please have a look: http://jeffrey-chuang.com/

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    haha, I really like the style of the website. not sure i get the 'some artist' thing, but the site itself is sweet looking and does its job
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey buddy, good to see you got your website up.

I think one of the biggest issues right now that i can see... is your header states you as "some artist"... which is what? Character artist, prop artist? There may be an inside joke there, but most of the people who will view your site won't get it... and usually... if you have to explain your joke, its not worth putting in the "act" :P

Also, I know a lot of people say "focus on something", and I have to agree. Out of all those pieces, your strongest is your latest piece, and it shows that you have a good understanding of geometry and texturing, and if that's the street you want to take, then go full tilt towards that. Start pumping out some more pieces that match and exceed your current work (basing all this on your latest work) which will show potential companies that you're ready for ze job.

Some nitpicking as well:

Your initial page should shoot RIGHT to your 3D gallary (or whatever you want to show first... which is your work) there is no sense linking viewers to a blank page, only to have to click a link to get where they should have already been in the first place.

Secondly, choose an alignment. Either center, left, or right... its a bit disorienting when you have it like... 2/5 in the middle. With your simple layout (it looks great by the way) I say stick it in the center, it usually balances everything else out.

Now your 2D Sketches are fricken gorgeous man, maybe you can find someway to feature that in the header? To show viewers who are focusing on your 3d art, that you can also draw extremely well... MAYBE even link directly to your 2D Page as default (if you are going for concept artist etc.).

You obviously have an extremely solid base to build your work from (I am jealous), I say take some of those great 2d pieces, and bring them to life in 3D. If you're one of those artists who like to do a bit of everything (which it seems like you are), choose (or draw) a new scene/ character, model and place your character in an environment, and pose them up quickly. it will look HAWT!

Anyways man, awesome stuff, you have a good design for your website, maybe you can make the key pieces you want show a bit bigger (the thumbnails for them... like Pior's site) and the rest smaller (constructions shots, smaller props etc.) and choose an orientation... CENTER *cough

Looking forward to more work from you man, and good luck in the job hunt (if you are looking that is) :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, the website looks nice. I especially like the warrior chick you did, in 2d and 3d. It would be nice to see some texture sheets and a few more angles though.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    As mentioned need more breakdowns on the 3d.

I personally would like it more with the alignment more centered for the content display.

Good work though
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input everyone. I'm having problems aligning things in Dreamweaver due to tables. I will go back into it and try and make adjustments. Also the reason why I had a blank page was not to pigeon hole myself into a position if other opportunities arise.

I really do want to be a person who can be put into any position and fill in gaps. Though i guess now is not the time, since I do need a job. My strength is in 2D, since that was my focus (Art Center BFA Illustration). The 3D is to add that extra edge. I should just load the 2D section, and then people can navigate to 3D.

What do you guys think of "Game" artist? Since my focus is on games.

Also enable scripts. I am using Lightbox. All the 3D stuff has Texture Sheet, Wireframe, and multiple angles.
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Quick dreamweaver tut for ya, its pretty much all I know myself.

Create the index page how you want it to look in photoshop. Then use the slice tool to cut up said image into the buttons you want ect. File>Export for web

If you do a little menu navigating you will see that you can save the slices as HTML tables or CSS table layouts. Export into the Root directory you are using in Dreamweaver.

You go into dreamweaver then load that export you just did, their will be the images all sliced up, preferably a folder for all the images, and also an HTML file where all your pages are, the "index.html" page. you load that html file and all your cuts will be the perfectly aligned tables. Or CSS tables if you prefered.

Then you just create the pages you want, throw them in the same html folder directory under the root, and use the table pieces to link to them ect. ect.
  • Proxzee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slice method created a lot of weird bits and pieces. It also screws up alignments so that you get bunches of weird 1 pixel borders between images. i had a slice based website before but it wasnt jiving.