Home General Discussion

In case you didn't notice... (DOMINANCE WAR 4!)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
...looks like things are getting fired up for Dominance War 4.

http://www.dominancewar.com/

Every year, some ridiculous shit has come up to keep me from finishing my entry. No excuses this time. If i dont do it this year...i swear to god...i give all of you permission to come shit on my doorstep.

Replies

• Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    It seems like there´s always some kind of delay. Yeah i know its a big ass huge comp and he should have all the kudos and backslaps in the world for it but goddamn. Is there always a delay?

I actually automatically assume theres a delay for everything. Hell. It´s the only reason i finished last last time. *cough*

Anyway. Really looking forward to it and it´s perfect timing. I need to create a portfolio from scratch and a character would be happy in there. ;)
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah dude, i dunno what the deal is. Seems like fred always has trouble getting it together when its down to the line.

Time to get a secretary if you ask me...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    waaaaay too early to get excited
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pre pre pre pre announcement... sweet.

Here's how it goes for me:
    Tonight the new site will launch (2 weeks from now)
    End of Feb, Dom4 launches (mid March, I've lost all excitement and am too busy)
    Comp ends ?? (this time next year)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    yeah i've said the same shit since the first one, maybe this time. hah. :|
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    I will totally enter and make at least 3 posts for this years domwar

be a Rebel and go for 4
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    waaaaay too early to get excited
    No more needs to be said.

-caseyjones
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe I can just piece together the other 3 models that I never finished into some sick hybrid incest raged monster and still not finish.
  • Dusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think if I combine all my other unfinished entries into one giant one it will be impressive.

HAY YOU COPIED ME IN THE PAST!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fred's a one-man show organizing (now) 2 major 3D game art competitions with hundreds of entries and multiple communities.

For free.

Expect delays.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    You like the delays, admit it.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    It's a nitpick, but I kinda wish the placeholder website wouldn't look so much like a splash page for a Dungeons & Dragons fan website from 1998. Very disconcerting..
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get me wrong, Fred's the man for putting on the show, but I think it's hurting the incredible franchise he's created for himself. With so many people's eyes on this, and so many possible investors looking at it, you really want to deliver when you say you intend to.

I have no doubt he'd get a trove of volunteers too if he only asked for em, even if he couldn't pay. It would be a great bullet point on the resume of anyone trying to get into the gaming biz.

He's nailed just about everything else, seems like a small fix to make. Then again, maybe it's his secret trick to get everyone frothing at the mouth...free publicity.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I don't think it's a very successful secret trick. Like Vig pointed out, I too get excited about it when it's time to get excited, but because of delays that fire kinda burns out prematurely. I think this happened to a lot of people last time.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Fred's a one-man show organizing (now) 2 major 3D game art competitions with hundreds of entries and multiple communities.

For free.

Expect delays.

I have to respectfully disagree, as a fellow webmaster and community member. I know how hard it is to keep free promises and deliver extracurriculars on time, as much as anyone. But this is also the fourth time around and DomWar has passed the point of being just another community sideproject, with its donations, sponsorships, etc., in addition to its popularity. I'm a stickler for being punctual and delivering on promises, and at this point, GA/Fred/DW should be delivering on promises, doing this for free or not. It reflects badly and is a negative impact on the project.

Yeah I know it is a dick thing to criticize someone who puts this sort of thing together for nothing but glory, but it is an honest criticism. Granted I could be all wrong if things are on time this year, and I hope they are and I am.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Crap man. I want to make this my news-years resolution. I've never gotten past the concept stage for the Dominance War. This year, its a complete entry or bust. That's my resolution. Another resolution is to create a minimum 3-minute animation. I freaking love the Dominance War!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    the last time i could not pass the concept stage due to lack of time, let's see if this time the thematic is enough good and the more important thing... if i have time hehehe

I'm sure europeans won't be applicable for material prizes as always XD
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    This will be something not on my resolution that I'll be sure to enter as most resolution things tend to go bust.

It will be a great learning experience.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    The waiting does get annoying, but when it does come, it hits hard.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Can't wait for this thing to start. I think I'm going to fight for PC this time around and abandon my CGSociety ways...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I have to respectfully disagree, as a fellow webmaster and community member. I know how hard it is to keep free promises and deliver extracurriculars on time, as much as anyone. But this is also the fourth time around and DomWar has passed the point of being just another community sideproject, with its donations, sponsorships, etc., in addition to its popularity. I'm a stickler for being punctual and delivering on promises, and at this point, GA/Fred/DW should be delivering on promises, doing this for free or not. It reflects badly and is a negative impact on the project.

Yeah I know it is a dick thing to criticize someone who puts this sort of thing together for nothing but glory, but it is an honest criticism. Granted I could be all wrong if things are on time this year, and I hope they are and I am.

Point made.

Sure, it can be annoying. But if you or anyone strongly feel this way about something you have nothing to lose over but time and everything to gain like cash, prizes and a huge amount of exposure then don't enter. Right?

Additionally, this is related to the videogame industry afterall. To expect anything BUT delays is silly :)

EDIT: Holy shit this is cool - http://www.gameartisans.org/dominancewar/publicity/gallery_gstar_08.html
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gavimage wrote: »
    Can't wait for this thing to start. I think I'm going to fight for PC this time around and abandon my CGSociety ways...
    I said it last year and I'll say it again this year, you're a fucking champ <3

-caseyjones
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    my god has it been a year already!? i remeber the character artists at the studio workin away on this, seems like only a few months ago. god damn time flies by fast. dunno if ill enter but its alllllllways inspirational to be bombarded see such kick ass art on all fronts.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So soon already!? damn i must live in a cave.
    "Finally the storm arrives
    Our wait is at an end
    Under dark winter skies
    We make our final stand"
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    lol last year, i got as far as making a concept, this year i aim at going as far as starting the 3d highres mesh. By around Dominance War 7, i will reach the point where i actually manage to finish the lowpoly :P
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Why do all those entries on display have a CGLand logo??
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay, another competition to enter and not finish. :D
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    aj... letzz see :)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    mini-challenges, eh?

hmm...
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    whoa!!! that exhibition is fucking sweet! thats impressive!

edit: dang, exhibitionSSSS. thats cool.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I'm totally doing it this year. It's gonna be fun.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Kolby, want to do a joint one? You model, texture and pose while I put my name on it. :)
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    I've had my eye on these DW competitions for a while now. How does this work? Must you go it alone from concept to finish? Or can you team up with others?

Would someone like to team up with me? I understand the production pipeline quite well. I feel I have a pretty good eye for modeling detail, I am just not the best concept artist. I pretty much have no life so you can guarantee I would put my all into something like this. :)

Re-creating inspiring concept art is something I really love to do...if the team thing is possible that is. I need something like this that pushes me to finish and I need to add more work to my portfolio anyway. Monsters & mechanical terrors are my favorite genre so this looks fun.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It depends really. In the past they allowed joint efforts, but they had a reversal last year and said that you had to do your own design. Seems a little silly considering game pipelines rarely have the modeler do their own concepts.

A lot of people complained about that last year though, so i guess we'll see.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    parasite7 wrote: »
    Hey Kolby, want to do a joint one? You model, texture and pose while I put my name on it. :)

lol sounds like an awesome plan, let's do it. Oh, BTW, i got your Christmas card, thanks dude, I've got it proudly displayed in my office.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes wrote: »
    lol sounds like an awesome plan, let's do it. Oh, BTW, i got your Christmas card, thanks dude, I've got it proudly displayed in my office.

No problem man. Glad you liked it.

You hear that guys. I (with maybe a little help from Kolby) will win this competition!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You jealous Ben?
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Kolby you got a xmas card! I didn't get one parasite:( sniff sniff. Hahah, ahh well maybe next year right:) I plan on trying again this year, since we won't be expecting a gift package in the shape of a son, so I should be a little less stressed this year.

Spark

P.S: b1ll, pfffff means your joining the fight this year right, as you need to finish one so I can put it into my inspiration folder!!!!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    well YEAH kenny, I thought I was ur favorite. I AM SAD! Your holiday card was hanging on the wall ... SAD!!

LOl Spark, YA i will this time, got myself a new rig , IM ALL SET!.

ill see if i can put it in my schedule! YES!

I want to see u enter to Spark, YES! YES!
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL wrote: »
    I've had my eye on these DW competitions for a while now. How does this work? Must you go it alone from concept to finish? Or can you team up with others?

Would someone like to team up with me? I understand the production pipeline quite well. I feel I have a pretty good eye for modeling detail, I am just not the best concept artist. I pretty much have no life so you can guarantee I would put my all into something like this. :)

Re-creating inspiring concept art is something I really love to do...if the team thing is possible that is. I need something like this that pushes me to finish and I need to add more work to my portfolio anyway. Monsters & mechanical terrors are my favorite genre so this looks fun.
    The first 2 Dominance Wars you were able to get help with your concept, and/or you were allowed to have another artist create an original concept for you. Which previously just meant, "hey, gauss. Can I plz has 1 units of art. kthnxbye".
    For the last war, this was disallowed, and everything had to be your own work. Critiquing and paintovers were fine, but the end concept had to be entirely your own work. I think this was mainly done due to the introduction of the 2D entries for the competition.

-caseyjones
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I hope they do lift the restriction on collab...was the only disappointing thing about the last Dominance imo...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    must stay calm.. must stay calm..
    everyone stop talking about it!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    wooo! maybe just maybe ill enter this one......
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    caseyjones wrote: »
    I think this was mainly done due to the introduction of the 2D entries for the competition.
    thought it was because hawkprey, ror and moose were going to team up/win
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I've always seen Dom War as the ultimate character artist competition. Where 1 person concepts, models, textures, rigs, renders their entry. It's all about dominating. So I preferred the 1 vs 1 battle, instead of a 1 vs. a team of people. Dom War 2 was getting a bit out of hand when you'd have 3+ people all working on a single entry. If Dom War 3 didn't disallow this I was going to outsource my entire Dom War entry and then slap my name on it.
    I'm glad they did the concept art and 3D split.
    B
  • eboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eboy polycounter lvl 10
    Very true modeling_man. I think it's best it stays a 1 man team. At the end of the day wouldn't you feel more satisfied you did everything yourself, especially if you won something. I understand in the industry it doesn't usually work like this but surely this can be a welcome opportunity?
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Great! The Dominance War is always one of my favourite times of the year, because there's such a ton of inspirational work to be found. I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

The only thing that I'm a bit worried about is that apparently there are now 12 websites in the competition. I rather liked that cozy Polycount-CGChat scale of the first competition better.