Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[portfolio] chris nirenberg

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
so i've been workin hard trying to learn enviro art for the last few months or so, joined some mods and been learning heaps.

folio is still wip and i'm working on about 6 things at once but i thought it'd be nice to get some feedback while i add stuff.
Planning to have something halfway decent by february-ish (wanna defer next semster and start working if i can).
Working on a colt saa to replace the deagle (first finished gun), mp5k and m4, as well as some sci fi props and misc enviro's. Pics to come. Thinkin of dropping the heads too, they're kinda old.

http://nizza.wordpress.com

latest update:
fem-runner_button.jpgsf01_button.jpgstrogg_button.jpg

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    kinda too early to crit much, needs more finished pieces..
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, workin my ass of to actually finish things, takin longer than i thought :P

should i actually finish off a couple of characters asap? Figured some high poly stuff would suffice for now, at least until i get through some enviro things. Important to show finished product tho i guess.

Anyways, slowly gettin shit done, mp5k base hp, paul richards q4 wall support thing (low poly's almost done), and a new char i'm just sketching out for fun, dw4 coming up and all.

feedback and crits would be nice, ill keep pushing things to finish

mp5khigh_shot01.jpg

02.jpg

mercarmour_sketch.jpg
  • Exitrockstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very good detail on the gun.Your going to paint that gun also for your porfolio
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Your stuff looks pretty good man. Your sculpts are excellent, however; your website lacks focus atm. Looking at it, I have no idea what job you seek. Are you environment, prop, or character artist?

It's okay to be a generalist I guess, but you need to make that clear. I suggest you decide on either environment work or character work, then hammer out a few pieces.

It's easy to get caught up in many projects and not finish anything (I catch myself doing it all the time). You definitely have talent, just be smart about how you budget your time, and ask yourself if what you are working on will be a step towards you landing a job, in the least amount of time.
    Good luck!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arg shit's moving too slow >_<

cheers for the comments guys, and thanks for the advice brad, was encouraging to read.
    I figured it'd be good to at least get a rough idea of enviro art seeing how there aren't too many games places around here and i'd probably have to do it anyway (and it's gonna take me a while longer to get any good at char art :P)

Still fiddling with the mp5k textures and testing it in ue3 before passing it along to the animators. And got this water pump/fountain prop i'm workin on, trying to get this low poly down below 3k tri's >:{
    still open to crits and feedback

edit: mp5k is lookin a bit more like this now - http://nizza.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/mp5kupdate01b.jpg
    12.jpg

04c-big-hp-shots.jpg

http://nizza.files.wordpress.com/200...poly-wip02.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's still the old site, so far it looks like characters are you bread and butter :) And good stuff too! Still, some more finished pieces would'n't hurt either ;)

Anyway env art, seems to shape up nicely, liking the water thing very much so far.

I agree with brad, your site is a bit unfocussed. Also the navigation is a bit awkward.
    Show more thumbs insteads of text links. And maybe divide into 2 gategroies: char and env.
    Much easier for people to find what they want to see that way.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    like others have said, the only thing is that you say you wanna be an environment artist, but you have more characters on there than anything. pick your battles and stick to them, learn the responsibilities of each position, and don't go too far beyond that. make the position you want very clear on the site itself, whichever you choose.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the replies guys ^_^

teriyakistyle: lol, i've been stressing not having a folio done for the last year or so :P It is causing me some probs but chilling out and focusing on what i've gotta do is definitley somthing i gotta work on, thanks for the encouragment man.
    And that 3dsk dude is the first one coming down once this char is finished for this mod ^_^

pestibug: thanks, sure your looking at the right site tho, using nothing but pics and thumbnails (except for the about, gallery and resume buttons up the top). Good idea on the char and enviro sections, should keep things cleaner

firebert: cheers. I originally wanted to do char art tbh but i figured im going to be doing enviro art anyways (until i get really good and get to specialize i think). Thinking of taking down some of the unfinished char stuff tho, so it should focus my site a bit i'm hoping (as a generalist >_>)

And just found out i can go up to at least 5k tri's on my water pump/fountain thing (just gotta do more than one lod for it) so i'm stoked. Less text more art next post :P
  • c023dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c023dev polycounter lvl 8
    Same, crits from me, your stuff shows potential but every good employer just want's to see finished work.

They always want to know if you can take your idea all the way, because there is always a massive gap between good initial sculpts or ideas and a finished Model.

Character Development is Masterclass mate, don't be too hard on yourself. Wee all have the feeling that we could make the Perfect Character at start but its a long way and a stony path.

Are there any studios near you where you can get any practical work experience? I found that very helpfull, even if it's unpayed and just for a week. Try and hook up with some studio that way.

Another thing is requesting Art Tests from the Studios, they give you a deadline and specs to work with, thats always a good thing too. (I remember Splash Damage had these tests on their Website - A Water dispenser and some env test)

Hope I could help, heads up and keep going, took me almost 8 years from my first q3a model to my first propper employment in a big company.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers c023dev, Actually doing heaps of mod work atm which is pretty good experience so far.

Finally finished (more or less) the water tank thing and updated my site a little. Also did a quick head sculpt as i haven't done much char work in a while. Was gonna texture it in zbrush via zapplink but turns out my vista hates it so... might have to texture the old fasioned way :(

Decided i'll take down the heads and texture test dude as soon as i got this other character and mp5k done.

fountain_finals.jpg

head05a.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    that resume seems kinda barren, add some information in there, previous experience if any, skills, education and so on.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers johnnyraptor, added some text stuff in there.

took some new marmoset renders and working on this new character. Still gotta do his gloves and his attachable tactical vest for the high poly, textures are really early still (i <3 marmoset :P)

also really looking forward to trying dom war this year =D
    11.jpg
    06.jpg
    newfountain_shots.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiny update, workin on my first proper enviro too (not just props this time :P). Hard to know when to do a full high poly in zbrush or just leave it to a black and white height map (height map seems to be working easier for most things so far, walls and such).

crits are always good

12.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that new character looks badass. one thing that bothers me. why did you put the seam between arm and chest there? it would have been much better if you put it where his shirt is. natural seam. you wouldnt see it at all.
  • Deathelmz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a Wonderful portfolio
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Stuff is looking real great. I like the character and the prop thingy. I would really say you should pick a side (characters or environments) and run with that. It's great if you can do the other thing to fill in if the company you're at gets in a jam (I've been there). But really you should have Characters or Environments be the star not splitting both. Best of luck and keep up the good work. I love seeing the progress!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for the replies guys, muchos encouraging.

00zero: was originally going to have the uv seam around where the top opens up but would've had to add extra cuts in there to make it so, not sure why there's that obvious white seam there tho.

jeffro: cheers man, 1 more proponent of the pick a speciality and run with it group (seems like that's the way i'm gonna hafta go :P). Still not sure enough of my char work to think i could land a job doing that primarily is all, hoping to trim it down once i've got better skills ^_^
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit of an update, really wanna get this guy done in a day or two (including his tac vest), partly for the media release and i wanna get back to dom war and doing my mini enviro :P

16.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and he be done more or less. Leetle bit of texture fiddling left and i'm gonna play around with the mat editor in unreal some more. Looks like i won't be finishing my dom war entry either (mo mod work to get through :( )

really hard to come up with cool ideas for enviros too, more char work for now i guess :P

27a.jpg
    merc01_unrealshots02.jpg
    02.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just got back from europe visiting some family in poland and checking shit out (it was cool :P)... figured aside from getting back into the sculpt studies, i'd fix up my site and get onto applying for places around here.

fingers crossed my site actually gets seen by people and i don't just get rejected because there's no art jobs available :\

(also some of the pics might be really huge, might hafta resize)