Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

new models for student game

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
EbolaV keyframe
Hi dudes, want to open a thread for some of my newer models im working on for a game project at a game dev school here in Berlin. Started to train me much more in high poly here some results of the last days :/ will work on some models a little bit more i think hope thats not to much pics and hope you some of them :) lot to do like everytime. see ya

a holographic tv/advertisement for houses...

screenprojector_04.jpg

screenprojector_03.jpg

monitorstuff...

monitor_02-1.jpg

monitor_01-1.jpg

an idea for a smokegrenade...

grenade_smoke2.jpg

a dumpster...
dumpster.jpg

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    From a high poly piece of art I think a lot of it looks good, but for the sake of projecting normal maps I think you are going to have some issues with the sharpness of a lot of it overall.

The smoke grenade, and the dumpster both seem to have a lot of very sharp angles that won't translate as well to baked down normals. Sometimes, especially when given a realistic game budget, you really want to emphasize the edges to get an improved normal result.

If that dumpster gets a 1024, and you want to give unique surfaces to each side, the pixel density won't be enough to get every single tiny edge and and bevel unless you really try to exaggerate it a little more.

Good stuff though, I really like the top one.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yep, as ott said,the high polys are done very well,but the real pain comes when u actually do the lowpoly for it and process the normal maps,as after all thats the reason , the high poly models are done. I would recommend you to bevel the edges,so that u done leave them razer sharp.

Vj
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    oh ok i didnt know that ;( i try to fight those razer edges ;) thanks for that guys :)
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check out this link. Tell you the majority of stuff you need to know when modelling for normal mapping.

http://www.acetylenegames.com/artbymasa/tuts/tut-modeling_for_next-gen_games.jpg
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    yeah i know that tutorial but i think i forget this ;) learning by doing. but thank you :thumbup: hmm make the most edges smoother i will get headaches xD after that i will think on make edges a bit smoother in hp modeling.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the monitor looks bad,- even worse the dumbster in terms of design. The monitor has some askew shapes and some shapes placed with eye- measurement- its so random. The big screws are way outdated - try some more modern bolts with trigon, pentagonal or hexadecimal edges.
    From the right side the montior looks completely different and a hell lot better to me.

The dumpster is super boring and just wrong in tention of elements- you have some big empty spaces and smal stuff that is cluttered together. The industrial repeating elements dont make much sense- looks random to me.

now what I like:
    I really like the smokegrenade- it has a very interesting shape,- the first element looks also very interesting though a bit to much repetitive and to long. add 2 - 3 more tower or interrupting elements in the middle or 2/3
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah...the design of the dumpster is a bit iffy. Looks like it's a regular dumpster with generic techy stuff slapped on it :)

Agreed with renderhjs about the right side of the monitor too - that looks much better.

Keep going - as the others have said, your designs just need a few tweaks and also to be more 'normal map' focused.
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Yea think about why a dumpster would need techy cables and such running all over it.

It's a dumpster.

Most of the details of a dumpster would come from its construction, not it's function. Basically Its large pieces of sheet metal held together in some way (bolts, welding, etc.) Unless its a super self-compacting dumpter that warps it's garbage to a landfill planet far far away, it doesnt really need any kind of technology outside of being able to hold huge amounts of heavy trash and being able to be lifted by a garbage truck ( or future equivilent thereof )
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    yeah the dumpster isnt nice at all but some tech stuff would make more sense at our game. like that small "gate" on the bottom right is for example for small dumprobots :) the gate opens and the small robots can get the shit, but maybe i will think again about some props. Here a new modell for a little training. not directly for the game. someone know that maybe ;) for example Kevin Johnstone hehe. Its not perfect like the original but i had a lot of fun with it and it looks nice i think. im a little bit proud to have my own ut3 model :D took me about 14-16 hours i think. dont stop the time.

BigNose_01.jpg

BigNose_02.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I like your Jet Walls!
  • GeneralAtrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High Detail Work, i like it. Keep it up :)
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    thanks guys. ok here some simple crateaction. everyone needs crates hehe. i dont like some everything on it and some shapes are a bit thick :/ but ok its a crate... ^^

crate_01_ini.jpg

crate_02_ini.jpg

crate_03_ini.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I am liking the uniqueness of the crate as well as the feeling of it actually being built from pieces.
    The monitor to me is looks fine as well, feels like a model out of fallout 3. Continue the great work and hopefully we can see some of these normal mapped and textured out!
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    ok guys some of my new stuff from my little studentschoolstuff :) hope you like something. a question but isnt in the right thread here but do anybody knows how i could make a nice alpha for stone/concrete/brick or how to make such details in ZBrush. using mallet fast und that square alhpa but cant do smaller details with that :/ any advices? ^^

ok this model is from gears of war screens i have taken and modelled then. think i do it right... think so... screens were dark :D
    connectionbox_01_ini.jpg

door + frame (maybe a bit to much screwdetails) but i like it :)
    door_complete_01.jpg

a stair... needs a Zbrush pass.
    stair.jpg

isnt finished
    oplight_lp.jpg

this isnt finished too
    op_table_lp.jpg
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man. These aren't terrible. I noticed the piece you copied from Kevin is the most cohesive and solid model. A lot of your other models have very small details and very sharp edges. Try to get some larger more defining details that convey a sense of scale.