Home General Discussion

unlockable content good or bad?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on a rhythm game for Xbox community games, and have a question regarding unlockable content. Some people think most content should be locked for most games, and that having all content available at the start of a game takes the fun away. Some people think certain games such as rhythm games should have all tracks/levels available at the start, and don't want to bother with unlocking tracks one by one. Some people probably don't care either way, and are only concerned with the game being fun or not.

So...time for a little poll.

Replies

• onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i say gamers should have to unlock the content for this game.
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    There's a balance to it all, I would get tired of a game if 50% of the stuff were locked from the getgo, unless unlocking it was story driven, but in a casual game, it would depend on how fun it is overall. For the most part in rythym games, don't force me to attain perfection to unlock things... achievements might be fine, but normal content? I'd stop playing a game if it got too tedious.

To me the question is "Does the content system encourage a challenging game, or does it do it to extend gameplay hours to add more 'value' to the game?"

I think forcing the player into repetitive gameplay to unlock stuff is a poor excuse of extending gameplay time. Then again, forcing them to jump through convoluted hoops and long, empty hallways are also really crappy ways at 'expanding the value' of video games these days. Who cares if your game is only 12 hours instead of 10 because you want 2 more hours of 'gameplay'
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I try and care much much less when everything is unlocked already...
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    IMO Tracks shouldn't be locked.

Guitars, Characters, and Difficulty Levels should be.

Not that I actually OWN any rhythm game (I prefer to play REAL guitar), but whenever a friend comes over with their copy of RB or GH, the first thing we do is run the CHEAT to unlock all the tracks anyways.

IMO, rhythm games are essentially party games anyways, and by locking you're just taking fun away from the party.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    yea you shouldnt have locked things that affect the gameplay experience for party games. And limiting the number of tracks on a rhythm game does affect gameplay because it gives the players less choice (and the tracks they are familiar with may be locked).

Whole different story for other genres though. I think some of the votes did not consider that this question was specifically targeting rhythm games and not games in general...
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    You should work hard to unlock it. Nothing sucks more than easy to beat game.
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Locking tracks on a music game is perfectly valid.

Limiting the choice at the beginning of the game allows the player to get comfortable with the tracks and master them, coming to grips with the nuances of the game and feeling like a badass. Injecting new content as they progress allows this cycle to continue, from 'oh shit what is this' to 'i fucking rocked that', over and over, which keeps people playing and engaged.

Having every track available at the beginning just means they'll learn all those songs immediately and then the game will become stale.

Thems my thoughts, anyways
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Clear a track > Unlock a track.

Boasting unlockables over actual content I dont care for though (talking reskins/aesthetics), I'd much rather have more songs than that sorta stuff, but maybe thats because im a hardcore nerd.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    If it's a party game to play with friends, you should have all the songs unlocked.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I think unlockable content is cool, especially when it's logical to the game. For instance, in driving games, sometimes tracks are meant for more advanced players, so they shouldn't exist until you are ready...
    At the same point, I hate when unlockable content exists that requires you to be at some uber level to be able to access it.
    Basically, I think it's best where the content is added as an extra, not a goal.
  • Mark Dygert
    Agreed, party games are a pain in the ass when there is stuff to unlock. Especially if its stuff that needs to be unlocked through a single player story mode. If it can be unlocked by the group as they play, then its more or less acceptable and might be rewarding.

Nothing kills a party game faster then someone saying "aren't there more tracks, characters, karts, maps ect?" Then you have to say "yea but I have to spend the next 6-7hrs unlocking them while everyone watches me play the near pointless story mode."
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    That said, you still need some unlockables or nobody will ever play your near pointless story mode ;) .
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    ComradeJ wrote: »
    That said, you still need some unlockables or nobody will ever play your near pointless story mode ;) .

which is why you shouldnt include a near pointless story mode in a party game
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    As long as there's cheats to unlock everything I'm fine with it. Is there anything worse than picking a party game up on your way to your friends' a Friday afternoon, only to realise you first need to spend 3 hours in some shit story mode before you can enjoy everything the game has to offer with your friends? Getting robbed and stabbed half to death on your way there would probably top it, but that aside I can't think of a whole lot.