Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Wittingham Hallway

Project:Wittingham Hallway

Main Reference:
http://www.opacity.us/gallery121_shut_in.htm

0000004302.jpg?t=1231016951

Background:
Hospital in Great Britain that has been abandoned for 13 years. This is what it looked like back in the day:
maincorridor.jpg

So far... this is what I have:

Basic Geometry
BSP.png?t=1231017452

Low Poly Single Doors:
lowpoly_singledoor.png?t=1231017518

I will have the high poly door soon. I just thought I would start the thread early on in the process to get feedback.

Let me know what you think.

Replies

• duxun
    nice start! one piece of advice though when u make this hallway (dont make the same mistakes i did).
    -add detail to the ground take pieces off the ground and scatter them every were.
    -create the ground below the tiles/concrete floor.
    - pay attention to color variance like in your reference images.
    - dont just use one color light to light your scene. lighting can make or break a scene.
    - get reference images for your doors, windows. dont be constricted to using these images alone. mix up diferent styles of doors,windows and your scene will be that much better.(make sure they match the over all style and feel of what you are trying to make.)
  • Talbot
    duxun wrote: »
    -add detail to the ground take pieces off the ground and scatter them every were.
    -create the ground below the tiles/concrete floor.

Can you explain these two a little more?

Before I made the door I got 5 or 6 reference pictures. I still have a couple of things to switch before I make the high poly.
  • SnarG
    I believe he means break up pieces of the floor and have chunks laying around, or have scattered tiles if that's what the floor is composed of. Then obviously fill in the gaps with the floor below where these chunks have been removed.
  • fiveways
    I agree, little bits and pieces scattered about to show the decay of the building would add to the mood that I think you're going for. The blockout looks pretty good so far, are you planning on adding that skylight/window thing like the first image as well? That opacity site is probably one of the best sites I've seen for reference photos like that, good choice.
  • Talbot
    Oh. Yeah I was planning on doing that. I just didn't know for sure that that was what he was referring to.

Fiveways: Yes, I am planning on making the skylight/ceiling window. :)
  • Armonio
    it could be because of the angle, but the roof in your blockout seems too low when comparing to the reference image. Just something to look for.

Cam
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    This could be a very creepy piece if you pull it off. Great image to start out with. If you want to check your scales, use things you know the height of (like the door), and use that with some foreshortening to determine the scale of things in the rest of the scene.
  • Talbot
    Armonio wrote: »
    it could be because of the angle, but the roof in your blockout seems too low when comparing to the reference image. Just something to look for.

Cam

Yeah I changed that already. But thanks for advice. :)