Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Buffout Char

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
palm polycounter lvl 18
(Updated pics further down the thread.)

I wanted to make something that would fit the fallout universe. It has about 5000 tris and some more for weapons etc. It’s a screengrab from the max viewport.

buffout_pose03.jpg
buffout_shader2.jpg

Replies

• Stubbs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stubbs polycounter lvl 17
    I like it a lot. Nice work. The booze is a nice touch.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looks better than the characters in Fallout3!
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    I like it a lot, I agree that it looks better than Fallout 3 and others! If there's one thing I dislike, it's the plaster on her nose.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, the model and normal-map look nice!

However I think the diffuse and specular could be pushed a lot further - for example there's no subtle shadow from a lot of those normal-mapped elements (for example the straps over her shoulder are very "flat", there seems to be nearly no diffuse/specular detail or highlights/shadows to really make those areas pop out), also the separate geometry like the pouches on her hip, aren't casting any shadow (maybe bake some subtle AO in to the skirt since it looks like it's uniquely mapped).

I think partly the lighting setup isn't helping much though, no cast shadows at all, also her neck seems to be pretty broken in that pose.

I'd also suggest trying to get more contrast/saturation from the purple parts, maybe even change the colour to make it more striking next to the flesh/dark leather colours.

Also I'd probably skin-weight those 9 verts around the belt buckle geometry to a single joint (probably pelvis) just so that the geometry doesn't distort and make the buckle look stretchy like it does in the 2nd pose there.

Cool stuff though, I think it just needs a fairly quick pass over the diffuse/specular maps to really make the texture "pop" and look deeper, and also some quick fixes to the skin weighting to avoid distortion and the broken neck.

Keep it up! :)

edit: also it looks like you're going to great lengths to get poses that hide her hair :p
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hi palm

(EDIT: damn mop.. thats too much critic in a row :p )

i like this model a lot.. but (and i´ve seen this on your other models too) your textures are laking some important things

- first you´re working very monochromatic.. thats not categoricaly bad but you hardly realy need it... even for this fallout-mood
    for my taste there is too much metallic-blue-grey stuff everywhere going on .. you can easily fix this with just applying some subtle colours of different values (whatchout colour harmonics) here and there .. and still you will have some black dressed person

- 2nd, your textures are lacking of small detail stuff.. scratches, down-wearing, coloured shadows or dirt-in-the-corners aso. there are only some big dirt spots here and there (whats not bad for itself but a bit little)

- and your spec-map - if you use one - is not representing the different materials very good.. all in all it looks very waxy.. no texture, no contrast in specularity ...

don´t get me wrong.. i realy like your stuff and the only reason i´m writing this is bc i think they would look even better with some more texture blingbling** :)

greetz
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Thx for the critt Mop and Rollin, you both have excellent and valid points. I have taken most of it to my heart and going to work some more on the char tonight. Thx for the suggestions about the rig Mop. I really have now idea what I’m doing when it comes to rigging/skinning or whatever people call it.

I often get a bit lazy when my chars are almost done,.=D You just want to get it over with and start something new.^^
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Hmmm, skin looks too shiny, you could try toning down the brightness and adding some larger noise to the spec.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Did a new rig and some more texturework.. Now its done!!! I hate this char now.:P
    buffout_pose.jpg
    buffout_shader.jpg
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as one who plays fallout 3 for hours and hours every day, i wish the actual characters were as detailed as this. great job.

this just screams fallout even before i read the info on it.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Still looks a bit too clean IMO. :poly141:
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh wait, another tiny nitpick. the grass coming out of the ground on the base is coming straight out of the asphalt. shouldnt it be sprouting out of the cracks?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bad ass dude(or should I say lady), great work!
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Thx guys.

I fixed that sorting issue now. Thx 00Zero.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That left shoulder (probably right as well) will have some trouble deforming... do you have any twist bones in there?
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Rob.
    No. But thx for the tip. (im new at this riging thing). ;)
  • okno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks cool :) Sorry if I'm nit-picking but maybe just some dirt around the lower part of the boots' feet would make them look more worn. Or at least the spec could be lowered there. Nice work on this.