Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Holiday Bits

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
Trying to be productive with the last week of holiday I have left.. just personal stuff, I'm basically creating what would be "quick idea sketches" but spending more time on them since I have it right now. Mallet was made yesterday and Mechanipult made today. I'm hoping for at least 3 more pieces before I head out of NY on Sunday, I'll update this thread with whatever I make this holiday :)

techMallet_renders.jpg

catapult_renders.jpg

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    geez, i'm stuck up in the sticks of missouri for vacation and you go to ny and do some 3d pimpin. looks awesome.
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    dammit artem.........awesome work dude!
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    looking slick!
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Damn man! Stop being so fast and productive ^^ Looks awesome, like tha mallet :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    With all that nice detail, having so many angles crammed in to 1 picture makes it hard to see. 1 or 2 angles would be awesome, niiiice and close up.
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Hmmm....interesting car. Its some kind of a breed between a car and a catapult if im not mistaken. I like the idea but I dont see any cockpit, so how do you control this montrosity? Kudos for the highpoly modelling though!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, these are great, and you must be working FAST.

How did you get the detail on the handle of the mallet? Did you use splines?
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the nice comments!

Adam: I like having a lot of angles to show off the details of the models, but definitely understand what you're saying where it can get a bit busy being all on one image. I'll try to keep them less busy. :)

c0ldhands: Ha, yeah.. it's a weird mix. I was going to make a chair in the area behind the levers, but the wheel itself is about 5-6ft tall so I'm imagining a big beefy brute or two would operate the levers. I'll need to add a few more things for operational purposes if I get to the point of making a low for it.

BradMyers82: Hehe, just about a workdays worth. (6-12 hours each)

Yep I used splines created from shape, which was a selection of edges from the handle.

New one made today:

techDagger_renders.jpg
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    wow some realy freaky stuff :) nice details. i want to smash some monsterheads with that cool mallet hehe
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very cool. that mechanipult is wicked. 1 day eh? very fast. what are you using to render these?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Love your renders, very clean and great for showing off all those nice details, whats your setup? That last thingy was wierd:P i like the handle, looks more like a pillar or some kind of architecture, and the "blade" is really wierd, but awesome modelling:)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its like getting stabbed with steel bridge cables
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to make lowpoly textured version of these pieces? Great work:)
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat: My render setup is a skylight with a .4-.6 multiplier (7-10 rays for shadows) with an additional spotlight on my object at a 1.0-1.3 intensity multiplier. The material though is what is achieving what I'd like with the high poly models, it's a custom Shellac material set on 50% blending 2 raytrace materials, the first being a more intense but smaller highlight material and the second being a larger range highlight with less intensity, both on darker gray diffuse colors. The end result should be a blend of a gray material ball with a sharp small highlight with a "falloff" looking highlight around it blending to the gray base to be able to identify small scale detail on the model with a nice range of falloff to the surrounding broader surfaces then to your base color.

salman_fas: I'm planning on doing a low and texture of the hammer at least, it'll be pretty busy at work when I get back so I'm not sure how much time I'll have for a while as we finish up milestone tasks.

Thanks for the comments guys!

A new one from last night, which is sort of based off of an idea for a post-apocalyptic wasteland shooter with underground facilities a long time ago.. mainly just another techy model though :)

techBase_renders.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    thank you very much for the render info. 3ds max right?
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    That dome you did is tight.

Yeah, thanks for the explanation on the material setup. I'll have to try it out.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep it's 3ds max.. No problem guys

Another one:

sawedoff_renders.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cool stuff. greebles and twisty splines ftw! :p
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are very impressive models!

Also appreciate the fine rendering!

Excellent work. Keep them coming.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work, thanks for the info on your material setup too it's really easy to pick out the detail in these renders.

Heh my only thing to say about the work would be the shotgun looks a bit bare against the previous renders! :P
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP: I don't actually use greebles (learned about them not too long ago though) but twisty splines are f'in awesome :D Glad you like the stuff!

pixelmitherer: Thanks man! I'll post more here when it gets done

carlo_c: Thanks! I'm glad the rendering method has been received very positively. I think the shotgun will look good (and not so bare in comparison) after I make a low and materials for it and put it in engine. :) The mallet and shotgun are the ones I will definitely complete to real-time specs if I get time, others are probably going to stay high show pieces for now.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, I love the stuff. And thanks for posting your presentation setup! I especially like that intertwined rebar-type dagger!

I have a question, I know it might sound kinda irrelevant. How many poly's do you work with on your HP models? (assuming they're in max). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but my decent computer seems to just chug out any time I try to work with intricate high poly details. Like when I try to add ridges or details, like the handles on your weapons. I can imagine myself making the details but every time I get into the program my piece runs up 1 million polys and things just chug and stop working. Maybe I'm using too much turbosmooth?
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    good stuff. keep em working on em if you can.
    One quick suggestion if you ever remodel the mallet a nasty grinder in the mallet "face" would go well with it's techno/brutality thing you've got going.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good stuff convict,i love the gun model!!
    Vj
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin: Good question, there isn't a specific number of polies I work with, but there is a way I manage not having to deal with it chugging all the time. I apply meshsmooth modifiers to the stack and turn it off in viewport and work with my base, this is good for me because I have a pretty good grasp of how objects will smooth and where I need to apply extra edges to control the mesh, but I still may have to isolate the object and turn on the meshsmooth modifier and then tweak where necessary, but I won't have to view the other objects meshsmoothed. This works pretty well for me so I will only be rendering anywhere between 20-100k polies in the viewport but the 400k+ in renders. If you start having problems viewing the meshsmooth/turbosmooth in the viewport on your model you can usually just isolate that piece and it will generally run smooth enough to view your changes.

As for iterations, I usually use 2 iterations for my meshsmooth, if it starts to chug and the polycount is getting heavy I will turn some pieces to 1 if they can get away with it. Another way to keep it down is I don't use it for a lot of my cables, I will usually keep the sides pretty low for small ones and just apply a smoothing group. For editing purposes I'll split pieces to be different objects so that if it gets complicated I won't have to worry about viewing meshsmooth on objects I am not editing right then. Hopefully that helps you out a bit, if you have any other issues feel free to ask.

3devo: Thanks, I will try to get some more stuff done soon! A grinder could look real cool, I don't think I'll be redoing the mallet though.. might apply that to another model though ;)

vj_box: Thanks dude!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work dude! I notice in your presentation the shadows can sometimes be really noisy. It's not a huge deal obviously, but I think it does steal the show a bit.