Home Technical Talk

Import .objs only script among other things

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone!

I complied/edited/created another script.
I'd much prefer to not garner any credit at all rather than implying i was entirely responsible.

[WAZZA]
Ok so when i had to import a mesh, i had to click on Import.Then, after two WHOLE scrolls and two WHOLE clicks, i had to select .OBJ from the list.Then, a prompt window opened.Then i had to give the object a standard material. Then, i had to convert it to an Edit Poly.Then give it a Black wire colour.Then give it a single smoothing group.

So after saying "This is enough mateyz.yayz", i compiled this bitch.

[DESCRIPTION]
The script does the following actions:
1) Allows to import .OBJ's only;i.e. .objs file type is already present in the file type list.
2) Resets Material 01
3) Applies Material 01 to imported obj
4) Applies black wireframe colour
5) Converts to Editable Poly
6) Applies single smoothing group (SM 1) to the entire model.
7) The name of the imported object will actually what you exported as with an obj prefix and not "objgroupx" blah blah-which i fukcing hate.

[CREDIT]
No single person can take full credit for the script.Its is generally a collection of two scripts found on Polycount.com and my simple complilation/editing. The contributors are RenderHjs(renderhjs.net) and Slum(floatvoid.com/blog/). Also thanks to Vig as always.
(This is the top excerpt of the script)

You can download it here:-
http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/import-obj-only

Im sure you guys will find it useful as much as i did. *pokes japhir*

Oh btw, i have a question. Now all of a sudden, i have to Redraw (`) the viewport all the time when i maximize viewports and shit.What did i do and how to i turn it off. It still does the same thing without the script and after resetting.Couldnt find an option for it either :/

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool script! I've thought about doing that a few times but have always just suffered and done it by hand because it would take longer to write then it would to just do it =/

But now I don't have to, ha! Thanks.

Did you disable(D) the viewport? Next to the name it will say Left/Disabled. You can either hit D again, or right click the viewport name and uncheck disable.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    haha i see what you mean there vig :D but i got so sick of doing the above mentioned things over and over again :D
    The viewport aint disabled. I recently changed my keyboard config so maybe i screwed something up :/ but theres no "disabled" text present next to the viewport name.
    I could have swore there was a re-drawing option roll out somewhere. But i didnt do anything out of the ordinary though vig. Do you see any screw-up in it? but if it were due to the script,then i wonder why its still bugging me when i dont even go near the script.
    Hmmmmm

anyways, im really glad you checked it out :D and hope some guys find it ok-useful! XD
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the way I do things is a interface that lets me define a url and then use just 2 buttons to instantly export or instantly import OBJ files without any nagging dialogues.
    I work alot with external tools such as UVLayout and others that usually just modify the model so they do not create something new. I often then have to import the model to the excact place anyway - so thats why I came up with that soloution.

editing ini sutff...
    When importing my script does almost the same as your stuff. I`ve wanted to edit the exportPoly settings via maxscript but since max2009/08 has a new OBJ importer and in previous versions the settings were stored in *.ini files things are a bit complicated. But it would be certainly nice to be able to edit the settings (quads, uvMap on/off, digits,...)

other ideas:
    - exchange the selected object with the imported mesh via a xreset Modifier and then a polymodifiert that deletes all faces/vertices and attaches the new imported OBJ object. That way I could easily edit single instances or objects out of a bigger scene in max in a tools such as uvLayout, blender, mudbox,... and edit them without much hassle.
    - import all OBJ files within a folder
    - import OBJ sequence

but in the end I guess instant quick import (wihtout the default interface annoiance) is the most important key

will have a closer look at your script later this evening