Home General Discussion

Dragon Ball Garbage!!!

OK I'm not sure if you guys have seen this yet, I came across this trailer and all I have to say is WTF have they done to dragon ball? seriously!! this movie looks like its going be so bad, piccolo in a leather jacket with a samurai sword???

just wondering what you guys thought about this

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The movie should be 2 hours of Goku charging up a super spirit bomb, then drop it with 2 mins left in the movie just to miss.

TO BE CONTINUED IN DRAGONBALL 2

Somewhere in that amazing plot, Krillin should throw those 2 discs and miss, only to destroy a mountain behind his target.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • InProgress
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    Now that's what I think will be the summer blockbuster comedy!
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    humanity needs this movie, for the same reason we needed the mario movie in 1993. Every kid should get the chance to watch their favourite characters get completely ruined on the big screen and have that great memory burned into their heads to look back on in the future.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    I need to see this... it looks so awesomely bad :D
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    sigh... please dont tell me they named this "Evolution" for real... since when is dragonball the story about one guy and 3 hot girls....

Will someone please think of the children?! seriously, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Only difference is the mario movie was bearable and somewhat entertaining. Plus, john leguizamo (sp)?!
  • warriah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warriah polycounter lvl 12
    haha piccolo looks so stupid. A buddy of mine is working on this actually.
    definitely gona check it out regardless of how bad it seems.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    WTF...this looks nothing like a cartoon! I'm angry and a little disappointed.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    what the hell youguys expecting ?! that a movie about people that shoot plasma thru their hands and are completely moronic regarding enemy powers would be sucessfully translated to big screen ? i mean , super mario bros anyone ?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Well, think of it this way, Johny. It's not as if a Dragonball story is that hard to think up, is it? Some dudes show up, they fight, end of story. All they really had to do was get the characters right, that's what people were going to recognize.

Now when looking at the trailer for this movie, just ask one question. Is Piccolo green?

If the answer is no, then the studio in charge of this film deserves to be fired. If you can't manage to get a detail as obvious as that, then you automatically fail.

-- Pause to watch the trailer myself --

Hmmmm...they are making him green! I was really worried there. It's going to be bad, that is quite clear. But I'm not sure it will be quite as bad as Mario Bros. Mario Bros. was REALLY bad. We've got Piccolo, and he's green. We've got Dragonballs, although we have yet to see whether they are going to be collected, and whether or not a summoned dragon will be involved. It looks like there is going to be a shape-shifter of sorts, which will probably be a bastardization of Puar or Oolong. Bulma and Goku are both disappointing, but not unexpected. Typical marketing-department handling of the characters. The effects at least look like they will be decent.

It's pretty sad when I'm just hoping that it doesn't descend to the same depths as Mario Bros.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Frankly I never could stand the cartoon. Thank god the movie looks nothing like it.
    Super muscled,squat, oversized heads and more oversized hair. Fugliest anime ever seen.

/back to lurking
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks like a fine interpretation of the cartoon. I was actually surprised at the quality. Don't get me wrong - I think it will be bad. But it doesn't look like the steaming pile most people seem to think it is. I suppose this sort of backlash is expected any time such a beloved franchise is adopted - and adopted so loosely. But fuck, man, if you want a closer adaptation, watch the first live-action DBZ movie.

in summation - hot garbage, but not as bad as people are crying
  • Kap'n Kronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It look nothing like the normal DBZ cartoons! Im pissed now! That is like my favorite Anime show! There are making an Avatar: The Last Airbender movie..Looks really stupid too!!!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0938283/
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    i.....i liked super mario brothers...... think of the jump boots!!!! and the big honey in the red outfit. rawr!
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    As a friend of mine said.. not as bad as expected but not as good as hoped..

WTF is Goku a white highschool boy? Ugh...
    Seriously, they can't find one young Asian actor in Hollywood that can learn fake martial arts for a B rate anime movie?

*refrains from rant on "Americanizing" anime for the lowest common denominator*

I think Piccolo will actually be pretty good in this movie. Probably the one redeeming factor.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    While I don't want to get drawn into this argument, one does need to ask the question why people keep whinging about Goku not being Asian. He's supposed to be a monkey man from outerspace if I remember correctly from the times when I occasionally woke up in front of the TV while DBZ was on. Even if my origin story imaginings are off, the character in the cartoon is very white.
    if you want a closer adaptation, watch the first live-action DBZ movie.
    Listen to this man. Get yourself a good supply of alcohol, a couple of good mates and put the original Dragonball movie on. So bad that it's very, very good.
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    It looks like one of those aweosme sci-fi channel original movies
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'll stick to my Street Fighter movie.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Sectaurs on this. Of all possible ways the show could have been turned into a movie, this is surprisingly well done quality wise. Though yeah, it will be hilariously bad, just because it's a live action Dragonball movie.

My biggest surprise was that there's still interest in the franchise, I thought the Dragonball craze died a couple of years ago.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo wrote: »
    sigh... please dont tell me they named this "Evolution" for real... since when is dragonball the story about one guy and 3 hot girls...
    Take out the guy and I'm sold! I never got into teh dragon bawlz. Probably because I'm old... but I had a dork friend my age that watched it, never shut up and now I can't remember the last time I talked to him. The few episodes I did watch sucked. I didn't like the art, the story, or the voices. So really anything they can do to make it not DBZ, would be a plus in my book.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ITZ NOT WHUT IM USED TOOOO!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Obviously the movie looks like garbage.

However I think it's funny to hear so much DBZ hate, since this is Dragon Ball (no Z!!) we are talking about here! Vig, try to catch a few episodes of the original series, when goku is a kid. Really good stuff. Just caught an OAV of it on TV this morning, that was hilarious!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I'm hoping this movie will be so bad, it's good. :poly142:
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    This looks awesome! White Goku!
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    jox wrote: »
    The movie should be 2 hours of Goku charging up a super spirit bomb, then drop it with 2 mins left in the movie just to miss.

TO BE CONTINUED IN DRAGONBALL 2

Somewhere in that amazing plot, Krillin should throw those 2 discs and miss, only to destroy a mountain behind his target.

Yeah, and then in dragonball 2, you need to spend 45 minutes reviewing what happened in dragon ball 1.

Though I think the lack of commercial breaks ruins this wonderful dramatic recap... especially when you need to review what happened before the commercial break for that 30 seconds of new stuff that happens before the next break.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    However I think it's funny to hear so much DBZ hate, since this is Dragon Ball (no Z!!) we are talking about here!

Ah yes...that's true. Dragonball was much more lighthearted and humorous in its tone. From the word go it was obvious that the Dragonball series didn't take itself seriously, and didn't expect you to either. Way less angst, way less "drama." Lots and lots of crude, lowbrow comedy. Good times.

It's unfortunate how the liscencing for Dragonball turned out. Due to some sort of screw-up, one company liscenced the first 13 episodes of Dragonball, and Funimation liscenced all the rest. As a result, no complete set of Dragonball episodes has ever been released on DVD or VHS from the same company. I suppose its just another casualty of early anime liscencing. (when there were no established norms)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Dragonball (not z) is really quite good, and has been said, pretty comedic.
    Z got weird due to production issues. ... as in the animation studio was getting ahead of the writer's licensed content.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    snemmy wrote: »
    *refrains from rant on "Americanizing" anime for the lowest common denominator*
    Yeah you're right. Dragonball Z was really Shakespeare and not really an annoying cartoon aimed at hyperactive 5 year-olds, or really immature old men.

DBZ is already for the lowest common denominator. It's entire premise is guys with big spiky hair running around all hyper while and causing nonstop explosions. There is no possible way to dumb it down any further.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    loooks about as cool as teh mortal kombat movies
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark wrote: »
    It's entire premise is guys with big spiky hair running around all hyper while and causing nonstop explosions.

That sounds like an awesome movie... I'll watch that!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    poor daark, he never was a kid.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ok how long till someone posts a super saiyan version of daark's avatar....
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku wrote: »
    ok how long till someone posts a super saiyan version of daark's avatar....
    Do it.

Saiyan.gif

Here's a source image.
    http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n250/lyonie17/motivators/karaoke.jpg
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Daaark wrote: »
    Yeah you're right. Dragonball Z was really Shakespeare and not really an annoying cartoon aimed at hyperactive 5 year-olds, or really immature old men.

DBZ is already for the lowest common denominator. It's entire premise is guys with big spiky hair running around all hyper while and causing nonstop explosions. There is no possible way to dumb it down any further.

I said nothing to the effect of it being Shakespeare. I meant simply that American film studios (and other ventures) change things for no good reason or on the premise that American audiences can't relate to Asian themes/characters. OH NOES WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND FOREIGN!

For me the lowest common denominator is the studio executives that just want to fill their pockets with cash.

Take for example the cinematic masterpiece of Akira and setting it in Manhattan instead of Neo-Tokyo and changing the names of the characters, thus negating one of the most recognized quotes from the movie (TESUOOOOOOOO! KENAAAADAAAAA!) or the 'in production hell' Evangelion movie having it's EVA units made by the US rather than Japan and American pilots. Often times Japanese names for characters have specific meanings, showing you up front if the character is good or evil or even alluding to an established literary hero/villian.

See also the changing of entire story arcs/dialogue or just flat out slashing out anything Japanese because Americans can't understand it or they bring it over to be marketed to children (maintaining the stupid belief that 'cartoons' are only for children), see One Piece (as seen being released in uncut form by Funimation rather than the 4Kids butchery), Cardcaptor Sakura (edited to the point of incoherence before they gave up), Sailor Moon (they are not cousins!! Which also the last season was never aired in the US on account the Sailor Starlights were male singers that changed to female Scouts, when they were alwasy female but took the male singer disguise to better track down their princess, all girls listen to boybands :p ).

It is a very egotistical and naive view. It frankly does not give their audiences any credit at all. It shows a lack of respect for the source material or the culture that produces it. There are many anime out there that are based around help to enforce Japanese culture, themes and history.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anime-Explosion-What-Japanese-Animation/dp/1880656728/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230113954&sr=8-1"]Who, What and WOW! of Japanese Anime[/ame] is an extremely good book on the subject. Yeah, there are reasons for effimenate boys and big eyes.

As a matter of fact, I think DBZ is a poor example of anime, but still better than a ton of shite that American studios have pumped out...excuse me, contracted Asian studios to pump out.

The story of Dragonball Z is alright, nothing spectacular. Some of the characters are actually interesting and grow, such as Vegeta. There is some pretty decent drama in there (such as when Goku finally goes Super Saiajin when Krllian, his friend from childhood is killed at a whim by Freiza) but overall the entire series could use an editor to cut out 200 episodes worth of recaps and charging sequences.

And yes, were they not just cranking this off in the bathroom for some quick cash, it could indeed make for an interesting movie. I ask of you, how many comic book/video game movies have been changed in major ways and fallen flat on their faces?
    I'm not saying do a 1/1 transfer to film, you can change things and still make them interesting and with respect as to the source, Lord of the Rings and Iron Man for example.

When these type of movies come out, it always feels like another Batman and Robin or Catwoman when with a little bit of effort and care it could come out like Batman Begins, and if we are super lucky with the material landing the right hands, we could end up with The Dark Knight.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sick.gif

I know DBZ is a poor excuse of anime, for reasons I already listed. It's a silly cartoon, and it;s getting a silly movie. The internet nerd outrage is slightly entertaining.

You don't see the target audience of the movie up in arms.

Just this guy:
    obese_fat_guy.jpg

Come on Snemmy, you are ranting about Sailor Moon!

Saiyan that avatar!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    dbz sucks. i'm awesome.
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    KAAAAAAHHHH................
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    MEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHH.............
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I had to do it myself.