Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Storm Giant- A Tutorial Pimp

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone,

[Objective]
Basically, I am making a tutorial which empasses everything i know about game art and which presents it to the reader in the most indepth way possible.
The total page count is expected to be around 350-400 pages.
I will be adding every bit of information i will be able to come up with or get a hold of. Basically from start to finish and everything inbetween.

[Reason why Im writing the tutorial]
Basically,its for helping people be introduced to the beautiful art of game design.
Probably having a nice model would be good for the portfolio.
Ive had some people come up to me and ask me how i do some things or wish they could do it (game art). Hopefully by the end of this tutorial, a casual 3d artist would be able to churn out an average game art model. Probably better than mine as i believe that a) im creatively lacking and b)people who are more creative would just have to be told how to do something and theyll give you fifty kinds of awesome. I'll be telling them the how's and why's is all.

[Progress]
What ive done upto now:-
As far as how much literature i have down, shown below is a small preview.
buttutpreview.jpg
Ive covered the bare minimum topics till exporting the model. Bare minimum being what i am doing and not why-i-am-doing-this or alternate-ways-of-doing-it or extra information which i think will double the page count atleast.

This is where i am in zbrush model-wise. Ill probably start writing again once i have the highpoly model down.After which i will tackle polypainting.The abs look funk-ay
gaintwip1.jpg

Through the course of the tutorial,you might find me doing things which would othewise be deemed redundant,but i want to cover as many things as i can in the tutorial.
All critiques,comments and support regarding the model, tutorial or anything else inbetween would be extremely helpful.
I will be asking you guys alot of questions along the way about why something is done.Ofcourse, answers carrying sufficient weight will be transfered to the tutorial either as is or edited with a link to the posters portfolio. Hopefully at the end when its all done, ill post it here so you guys can do some last minute polish and ill put it out as a .pdf

Oh and btw,be sure to check out my recently finished script "Blueprint manager" here. I think it would be helpful for vehicle modelers or people who use modelsheets :)

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    wow! very nice proportions and execution so far! looking forward to seeing the tut finished!
  • whipSwitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whipSwitch polycounter lvl 8
    Dear god man, there are books on game art that aren't 350-400 pages.

this will be the tutorial bible!

Kudos to you!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    whipSwitch wrote: »
    Dear god man, there are books on game art that aren't 350-400 pages.

this will be the tutorial bible!

Kudos to you!

This. Well done!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    isnt that the concept art from a companys art test ? O_o
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, I think this is a great idea. You know, if you do it well enough it could easily be a go to book for game art students around the world. Which could mean big bucks to you!
    There are infact many books out there, but I have yet to find one that really covers everything in depth as you plan to do.
    Good luck, with this awesome, and huge project. I hope I can contribute in some form along the way.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Japhir:
    Hehe glad you like the proportions dude.
    I hope with your guys help to make this the best tutorial it can be
    btw,im STILL lokking forward to that fucking texture tutorial you were expected to make :X
    kthankzbai

whipswitch:
    Hey thanks for dropping by :D
    Thats what im hoping to make it. That is,will all the information on the internet and polycount.My contribution is minimal in my opinion, its just a documetation.Im sure it will be the technical information that will make this tutorial work :)
    Thanks again.Appreciate it :)

fearian:
    Thank you very much! Be sure to drop in regularly and contribute as much as possible :)

stimpack:
    Yeah that actually is the concept for the storm giant from play.net's art test.
    I thought it was kinda interesting and i could probably cover alot more things. I think the design is really generic though, but i guess its a good thing :)

brad:
    Thanks for checking it out :)
    I definitely dont have any plans for selling it or doing anything involving money.I have probably gone through that "phase".Pretty much every artist goes through that i think. The desire to sell anything one makes. I have tried making my hand at a video tutorial, models for people but i couldnt care less now. Its all about helping people :)
    Yeah i myself couldnt find anything that was as in-depth as im trying to be with this tutorial.
    And as far as you helping is concerned, you damn well be ready to help ;) any and all contributions are appreciated. Its a tutorial by teh peoplez for the peoplez

NOW LETS MAKE THIS GODDAMN TUTORIAL ROCKORZ GUYZ
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    350 pages? I need to see this to believe it, because I'm having a hard time believing it.

but either way, mad props to you, I wish I had something like that available to me when I started. Joan of Arc tutorial did good though.

I look forward to this!
  • truant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tutorial = 1000 x awesome

Good luck on your monumental task. Noobs like me need resources like this.
  • fiveways
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excited to see this when its done. It'd be a great asset to the community :)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    heh, they'll have to change the art test at this rate. good modeling.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Is it very smart to write a tutorial on an art test though? not sure the company would like that?

Good looking model anyway!
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im pretty sure the artest is for a very low detailed model though. So I hope its all good to use it for something like this. Cant wait to see it

http://www.play.net/images/corporate/Simu3Dtest.jpg
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    My biggest problem with this model is nothing says "Giant" or "storm" to me. it has no scale reference, the proportions of the character are very human, no sighs of massive weight or anything.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Well... if you look at the concept he is modeling, it doesn't do that much either... but if you put a small human figure below his feet, it'll do the trick :P

Anyways, you da man Butt, I don't know if you should really focus on the "size" of the tutorial... but rather focus on content, quality over quantity. So if it ends up being 100 pages (which still seems like a lot) as long as it's filled with good, informative content, then it'll be just as and more effective then 300 pages of a lot of "rinse and repeat" instructions.

Good luck either way man, you should learn a loottt from this when you're done (helps make the knowledge you know already concrete).
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been making tutorials since I could model a sword, and one thing I've learned is:
    1) People appreciate good tutorials.
    2) Good tutorials are hard to make.
    3) A good video tutorial is 100x more valuable than a great book tutorial.
    4) Most personal pieces never get finished- monster tutorials about those personal pieces, even more rare.
    5) It takes people a long, long time to write a book like you are planning.

Props to you for starting and if you can overcome all these things, you'll have created a good asset for the community. You just need to understand the size and complexity of what you are trying to do, as I don't think you've tried to do it before. I don't mean to cast a shadow or anything over this or be a nay-sayer or hater, I just want to bring some perspective from someone who has been there and continues to give stuff out for free. You have a long road ahead of you, good luck.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Japhir:
    stimpack:
    Yeah that actually is the concept for the storm giant from play.net's art test.
    You may want to gain permission from them to us it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    ALPHAwolf wrote: »
    My biggest problem with this model is nothing says "Giant" or "storm" to me. it has no scale reference, the proportions of the character are very human, no sighs of massive weight or anything.

LOL! Try clicking the link to see the reference he used. And LURK MOAR! :poly124:

Really looking forward to this tut!
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Let's just say I'm a long time lurker..:)

and yeah using this concept from a art test seems like bad idea as well.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    haha yeah i'll finish my barbarian chick texturing tut alright. might take some time though, lots of tiny in-between projects etc.
    that art test looks like THE ideal art test for any game company :P.