Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP-Futuristic City Scene

Hey everyone, getting close to finishing school so I thought I better start getting more feedback.
So this is a futuristic city street, it will have a moving camera going through it, and it will be part of my demo reel. As time passed in this city, they could not build outward anymore so all new buildings were built on top of existing ones. Cars are no longer allowed and the old train system is no longer being used. So that is more or less the lore I'm using to create the scene. I want the ground level to be run down and dirty, and then as the camera tilts up, to have more futuristic buildings on top of the old ones, a new train system, and walkways connecting the buildings and supporting the train.
I would say I have about 60 % of the scene modeled and textured. The first image is a final render type image, and the others are to show more clearly whats in the scene and what is still placeholder. I still have to clutter the ground and light the upper parts of the buildings. I will also add more signs going down the buildings.
All c&c are welcome.
futurecity23br5.jpg
nolightsestshotcv3.jpg

downleftzf5.jpg

downrightkq6.jpg

streetlevelrj9.jpg

nolightsestshotcv3.jpg

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks pretty cool. What texture sizes are you using? Some of the stuff looks to be a far higher resolution then other things.

I'm no environment guy, but it seems some of the textures and repetition of them are hurting this piece. Like with the curb being completely flat, the noisy gravel on the sides etc.

Also, I definitely wouldn't have it as dark as you do in your render up top for your fly through. I mean all you'll see really are the neon signs.

Anyways, I like all the detail you put into the models and all, the whole scene just could use some more love with the textures, and certainly work with the final lighting. Keep updating though, I look forward to seeing your progress.

Oh, and cool idea btw.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    very nice idea. All I have to say is to lighten up the render a bit, and I think that the road block looks a bit to small and out of scale.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Do you mean 22minutes in the future?
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey shae,looka like a pretty good start here.
    Do u want this piece to be a real time one?
    if so u need to take care of some of the texture inconsistencies u have now..

Cheers
    Vj
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everyone.
    BradMyers82 : All the buildings have a 1024x1024 texture on them. I agree about the sides of the roads, something I will change before the next update. Other than the road the ground just has a repeating concrete texture on it. I will use alpha planes with dirt and ruble to break it up. And as far as the upper half of the buildings go I will be lighting them as soon as I finish them. Glad you think it's cool.
    fearian : Ya I checked them against my scale reference and you are right, they are a bit small. Thanks for the crit.
    Autocon : My idea for the scene was to make the street level stuff contemporary, and the buildings get more futuristic as they go up. Right now almost all I have done the the contemporary stuff, so yes, at the moment its not very futuristic. Have faith my love. Lol jk.
    vj_box : Yes I will be rendering with a moving camera going through the scene. Could you be specific with the inconsistensies you see? Thanks for looking.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Its hard to see whats happening with the textures as there are no lights in the last 4 of the images and the first one is too dark. Looks promising, could turn out really great.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you have some cool stuff going on, but you need to add more lights or add an ambient light value or something to that first showcase image, you can't see what's going on! Following fullbright shots looking good.