Home General Discussion

Playstation Home Beta

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
Playstation Home beta came out today. It similar to the 360 avatars except you can walk around the virtual city and chat with other random people. Watch trailers in the movie theater, listen to music and dance with others, play pool, bowling arcades, purchase clothing and furniture for your virtual apartment using real money converted into psn account.

It's an interesting idea, definitely better than the current PSN online network.

Like all online social gaming, making an attractive female goth chick avatar will guarantee you to get hit on by numerous guys who think you are really a girl.

psnhomefn5.jpg

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Good christ this is yawn city... Who the fuck has the time to play dress up like this?

What a waste of Sonys resources. Thats tiem and money they could of spent on getting some half decent games out. I'm fed up with saying Uncharted is the best game on there. Metal gear sent me to sleep, Resistence 1 and 2 are like last gen titles... Get me some games...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry but I dare anybody to tell me anything in Resistance 2 was really good? The whole game was a bog standard shooter, the very same thing I played 10 years ago. NOTHING was new, and it was so damn average I nearly stopped playing half way through. In fact, I think for shear enjoyment, the first one was better. Sure the graphics were good, but in most places they were average.

Anyway on topic again...

The second coming of Christ is about the most boring thing I've ever tried to use. Seriously, it was so poorly done it made my eyes bleed. But not blood, that would be too obvious, it was actually shite.

Lets get the first thing out of the way. Presentation. On the whole its not half bad, what did you expect it to be, the best looking game ever? It gets the job done. Unfortunatly, when it comes to UI design and how to use it, I dunno maybe they hired one of the Sony Ericson guys to help them here... Its just really poor. Not to mention every time I want to do something, I have to wait ages for it to load... And then to download... And then to load again... And then while its loading, I have to load something else... While I watch invisible people shells walk around... Fail. Oh and setting invert view as default...? Score. Realyl well played on knowing exactly what everybody doesn't use.

The biggest thing here is the character creation... Well... They can call it that. If you like picking from about 5 options. I dare anybody to tell me they can make anything that looks anything like themselves, or wears anthing they would wear. I think I saw about 15 people standing there watching a video, all with the blue/white top on...

The actual "Make your home" part was... Wait, I must of missed that? I saw the option to add a chair. Or a table. But dont you dare pick anything with style, hell no. Yeah you can wallpaper, but why...? Most of the options you would pick were none existent, and it wouldnt let you use them.

Which brings me neatly onto the next point... Buying shit. Want a new table? BUY IT. Want a new pair of jeans? BUY IT. Seriously, bog standard sony made jeans at the store are 60p. To kit out your character would cost a couple of quid... But why? MSN didn't cost me a fucking dime, and I get to use my own picture too. Looks just like me. I didn't even want to go into any other stores, for fear of them raping my wallet.

Finally the whole point... Interaction... Withen 10 seconds of loading the space I got about 7 PM's (not ingame messages, actuall messages to ME inside the mail) saying "Wher r u frm?" and "I rule!". The rest of the time was spent trying to move away from idiots asking me what I look like, where I'm from, am I male, how old I was, do I want to go PM and talk... Fucking hell...

Seriously, I really did experience what it was like to be a virgin all over again... Anybody who spends time in this thing really has some social issues. Anybody who buys anything from here... Well your just fucking stupid. Period.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    hahahaha and there i was, thinking second life was silly.
  • Master_v12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He is working hard isn't he
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Haha, v12. Good call.

Spending money on furniture you can't actually sit down on defeats the purpose. Silly idea.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    stupid, not enough clothing options, what is this BETA!?

Actually I was able to create a pretty acurate Justin avatar.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Comedy Gold!

Anyway, back on topic: bashing Insomniac Games... wait no, I mean Home!

Basically this is for the youngens who eat this stuff up, and I know the Asian market loves that microtransaction stuff. I wasn't able to check out the minigame stuff like bowling but if there's more of that I'd give that a shot.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I haven't really been looking forward to this at all, considering I'd rather be playing a real game than a social waste of time. If I wanted something like this I'd play second life or browse facebook, but as long as it's free, hell, I'll give it a try.

there's some things about it that sound pretty interesting but I really need to reserve judgement until I've tried it myself, gotta dl it when I get home. from what I've seen though it looks pretty ass. ah well.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    odium wrote: »
    ...Wow, so I posted a 5125x12 eye texture I was working on randomly a few years ago, is there really such an issue you can remember it?...

If I remember correctly it was a 2048x2048 eye texture in the WAYWO thread. The only concern/flame there was the screen real estate it took up on people's browsers.

Polycount is srs bsns. Calm down.

Back on topic:

I think Home could be fun. I especially like the mini games planned, the ability to have a trophy room full of trophies earned from your achievements in various games, and the ability to invite friends over to watch movies on your ingame TVs. Novelty, yes, but it's a neat idea, and should be fun.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It's ok, people hate me too and I still come back over and over.

I'll have to try it out tonight, and dress up like a girl maybe lee3dee and I can pick up some online folks.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    stfu Dekard!

i hope this is successful so my hideous bastard microsoft avatar will get a couch to sit on and a mall to run around in. i need a more convenient way to hit on 14 year old girls.

lucky ps3 sonsofbitches
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    stfu Dekard!

i hope this is successful so my hideous bastard microsoft avatar will get a couch to sit on and a mall to run around in. i need a more convenient way to hit on 14 year old girls.

lucky ps3 sonsofbitches

Dude just hit up the daycare right outside your office.
    B
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I like the idea of customizing your place with game themed assets-- if you could get those as unlockables from playing the game that would be pretty hot.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I like the idea of customizing your place with game themed assets-- if you could get those as unlockables from playing the game that would be pretty hot.

AFAIK that's the plan. Atleast with Trophies and Posters.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got about 15 or so error connections just trying to log on last night.
    Then I finally did.
    I made my guy and walked around then got booted off because another connection error.

That just about did it for me.

It’s worthless until they can get stuff fixed on their side.

Also, no beards or goatees? Wtf?

They also need to remove ‘beta’ from the title sequence if this is the official release.

The whole thing just smells of being rushed out the door before the holiday.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't type with a gamepad at all takes me like 2 minutes to type Hi. :D
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    You see, this is why nobody really uses this place.

Polycount is raw, but honest. Other forums are all about the touchy/feely backpatting; PC is about "get better or fuck-off". Not telling you to fuck off, btw.

I don't go in for this sort, but the avatars look better than the ones in second-life (not saying much).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    just put about 20 minutes into it during lunch and yeesh, not sure I like. actually pretty sure I don't like. but that's just because I can't see myself wasting time doing faux social interactions with characters that all look and act the same. the character creator is probably one of my least favorite, as well.

I know they are planning to add more content but as already mentioned this just feels rushed.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I think people are expecting a bit too much of this. It's not a full fledged title or anything. It's just a fun, Novelty, app to launch games, watch movies, collect and display in-game nick-nacks, and interact with friends. It certainly beats the hell out of a default dashboard/scrolling text based interface, imo. I mean really, being able to freely play pool, cards, and old arcade games with friends...that's gotta seem cool to some, right?
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't downloaded it yet. I plan to tonight, and give it a run through. I'm a complete sucker for character customization. I just got a copy of Soul Calibur IV two weeks ago and I can already tell I'm going to spend most of my time in that game making custom characters. Hopefully Home will have a robust enough system to keep me entertained in adjusting my character's appearance.

What are the options for decorating your apartment like? This always struck me as a potentially entertaining aspect of the experience. Is it possible to put up posters featuring images that are stored on the PS3's hard drive? I would love to have a little virtual apartment that I pepper with my own work. I think a lot of artists would find this appealing. But I don't know if Sony would actually allow for this.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    @ Geezus

of course, dude, but this is more of a 'hype vs actual' thing
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I think the real point here is that the people doing the hype are the same people who are complaining about the hype. Really, I'm beginning to think hype doesn't even exist anymore. It's just a whole culture of people who think "Well it feels like the sort of thing someone would be hyping, so I'm gonna complain about hype".

You make a character, walk around and talk to people, play cheap games and watch movie trailers. The whole thing is still a really sparse WIP. We've know this very clearly for a long, long time.

And yeah it's boring and barely works atm. Again, this is not a surprise.
  • Hebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Home is total bullshit im not going to repeat what was said but that was basically my exact experience with it.
    I got a ps3 just months ago and its been sitting there collecting dust , while i did enjoy a couple of games on it i have yet to feel like i have justified purchasing this expensive paperweight, well i hope i can in the future.
    Also i agree with the above post, completely.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I'm kind of anxious to check it out, yet not. I got my Avatar on the 360, then haven't done shit with it. Then again, I don't have a gold account, so I really can't do shit with it anyway. I was actually looking a bit forward to the 1vs100 game that they kept suggesting would be part of the Avatar release, but if it exists, I've missed it.
    I don't see myself walking around a virtual world to make friends, but I think it would be a different experience to navigate content.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Quick derail:

So we're all clear, our new member count is on a huge increase in the past 3 months AND the quality of replies & posts in threads outside of General Discussion is fairly high. Technical Talk is my favourite forum at the moment.

And on this topic, one thing you guys can do to remedy specific users who may be pissing you off with their constant negativity or overall shitty post history is this:
    1. User CP
    2. Edit Ignore List
    3. Add Members name
    From what I can tell, their posts & PM's will be ignored until you remove them from the list.

Back on topic:

It's a shame there's such a negative reaction to this. I tend to enjoy these social-centric designs. I believe Sony is thinking super long term with Home, and like most ambitious ideas the beginning of the journey will be rocky.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I have cleaned up this thread due to the repeated posts from a few people who decided to either snide, inflammatory or generally rude.

Please keep future posts on-topic. I will be handing out infractions to those who don't.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks amusing, but not something I'll use much. I have no qualms, although i hope it doesn't make it harder than it needs to be to watch various media.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    purchase clothing and furniture for your virtual apartment using real money converted into psn account.

Second Life 2. Coming to an overpriced media console near YOU. Honestly, this sort of thing worries me. Second Life...a virtual world where people can chat, watch movies, listen to music, and exchange real currency...is a scary place.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the ps3, was the cheapest bluray player you could purchase up until a month or two ago, and you can also play games on it, so I wouldn't condsider it an overpriced media. Blu Ray Batman is sechs!!! I gots mine for $399 and came with a $100 gift card at walmart so realistically brought it down to $299
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I played around with it a little this evening. It isn't bad. It's definitely a beta, though. There is no way for me to decorate my pad yet, aside from buying new furniture. And frankly, forget that. I noticed that they are going to have picture frames for sale. There had better be a way for me to put pictures up on my wall without a frame that requires payment. I am not paying cash moneys just to put images up!

The aesthetic is very sterile. But in technical terms it is very capable. The character creation isn't as deep as I would have liked, but it isn't as shallow or lifeless as most people have been saying. By playing around with it I was able to create a fairly good character, even one with a bit of personality to it. I intentionally attempted to make my character less "pretty" and I think that really helped. He's no movie star, but he does stand out from the crowd of other Home characters.
  • WayneAdams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I downloaded it.. tried to form a stable of ho's and stand on a corner and see if i could virtual pimp them out...
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    got a beta invite a long time ago but haven't really had the time to check it out, might givei it a whirl.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    I mean really, being able to freely play pool, cards, and old arcade games with friends...that's gotta seem cool to some, right?

Yeah, if I didn't have to WAIT for a table to clear up.

Bullshit. Their design is just flawed.

Oh well, no skin off my back. i don't know why I was expecting to play video games on my dvd player.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm sorry but I dare anybody to tell me anything in Resistance 2 was really good? The whole game was a bog standard shooter, the very same thing I played 10 years ago. NOTHING was new, and it was so damn average I nearly stopped playing half way through. In fact, I think for shear enjoyment, the first one was better. Sure the graphics were good, but in most places they were average.

so, basically the same thing could be said about halo 2/3, CoD 2,3,5. etc etc.

every studio seems to be pumping out stupid sequals nowadays with nobody producing anything truly original. which is why i haven't bought anything in the last year (rental ftw).

what you seem to be forgetting though, is that they are all third party developers. where you seem to believe that resistance was created by sony themselves? or that sony had some part in its creation other than it being made on their machine?

get a grip.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    i don't know why I was expecting to play video games on my dvd player.

fuck, burn.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah messed around not much in there at the moment, but not bad for what it's supposed to be, if I'm going to spend money on microtransactions it's probably the place to do it, but I don't ever seeing myself buying a 50 cent hat ever soooo :D
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    So, now that PS Home is finally out (in beta at least), have any of you tried it? What do you think about it?

Personally, I hate it. Maybe that's too strong. I STRONGLY dislike it.

The Good: Its finally out. Its a new way to meet other PS3 gamers. Umm,....

The Bad: I think that this may well be Sony's biggest f-up with the PS3. Years of dev, millions invested, and they give us a sterile, empty world. There's almost nothing to do besides weak chat and quincying. Everyone in the "game" looks similar due to the limited avatar choices and if you want a different pair of shoes or pants, BAM, $.49-$.99 please. Want to start a club? $4.99 please. I understand that Home is a free app but I'd have rather paid for a good app then been given a bad one that nickel and dimes you.

I'm not a fanboy, but I usually side with the PS3 with my gaming. Still, imo Home was a bad choice.

Now playing: I Set My Friends On Fire - Reese's Pieces, I Don't Know Who John Cleese Is?
    via FoxyTunes
  • Keg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What Keg is trying to say, is another thread on this topic has already been started, it just fell back a bit to the third page. What I'll do for you is close this thread and merge your reply in to the existing one.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    There you are, merged.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CONSTRUCTICONS; MERGE FOR THE KILL!!!!!!
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Whoops! Thanks guys.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    You can use any USB keyboard with the PS3 right?
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I know, yes.

So I hear you can unlock a secret echochrome outfit by playing an arcade of it somewhere. That sort of thing is cool. If they start doing lots of things like that, along with trophy rewards, I could see Home starting to get more popular.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supposedly you can take screenshots with a usb keyboard too, but mine doesn't I've plugged it in and get no power.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Hebs wrote: »
    Home is total bullshit im not going to repeat what was said but that was basically my exact experience with it.
    I got a ps3 just months ago and its been sitting there collecting dust , while i did enjoy a couple of games on it i have yet to feel like i have justified purchasing this expensive paperweight, well i hope i can in the future.
    Also i agree with the above post, completely.

Planet Earth on Blue Ray.

BEST purchase I've made for my PS3.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    On the one hand, you aren't paying money to use the barebones Home experience. So no matter how lackluster the experience, you can only blame yourself for using it. Of course, that hardly raises it above critical appraisal. You don't have to pay for something to rip it a new sphincter.

And there is definitely some potential there. Having themed environments based on games? That's pretty cool. I'd love to see more of that for more games. Unlockables based on certain titles or promotional events? Hell yes, sign me up! Basically, the Home experience needs to start veering a lot more towards Animal Crossing, and away from Second Life. Animal Crossing and Second Life both represent largely aimless, pointless experiences. But Animal Crossing somehow manages to make tedious activities fun and involving.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I may have take this shit for a spin. I thought it looked ludicrous when they debuted the "home" a while back, but it's made in the UK and so am I so I'll play it.

I have to start getting out of this... I bought little big world because it's made in the UK. I take great pleasure in ranting to people about that.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Topic revival.

The load times? What's up with that? It's installed onto the hard disk! Yes, it's supposedly an open world game, but Oblivion, GTA, Fallout, Crackdown, Midnight Club, they can all manage to stream huge maps.

Perhaps I'll give it another go in a few months.