Home General Discussion

Little personal milestone, rather proud of myself.

I do music.

After 7 years of failed attempts at starting bands, studying music, composing electronic weirdness, fucking about with drum machines, learning guitar, bass, in depth study of recording and digital audio, mixing desks, microphones, psychology (I'm studying music production, half of which involves getting the best out of a bunch of moody, arrogant fuckwits), and generally mucking about with various different musical bits and bobs, watching a group of friends from school become one of the most exciting up-and-coming metal bands in the UK (Malefice).

I have written a song. A full on, down to earth, means a lot to me, song. That I sing. That I play. And that I can sing and accompany myself on guitar. This has been a major, MAJOR stumbling block for me since day one, the actual writing a song part. My brain just hasn't had the right wiring until now. And I'm so damn proud of it.

I'm gonna record it soon, and then you'll all hear it.

Just thought I'd share, because I'm happy :).

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    heh, nice one, i can never get quite that far. i can write lyrics and i can record music, but putting the two together is beyond me. good work!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Congrats man, that is awesome, jumping those hurdles really is a great feeling.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats man!

sommin similar happened to me recently

i'm rapping in front of the school dec 16th
    =D self-lyriced, anti-violence lyrics
    not tryna steal ur thunder or anything, but just saying that i know exactly where ur commin from

can't wait to hear the song!
    congrats again
    digi-hi-five
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    An audio pimp and preview thread sounds like a good idea? Post one nice recording u have done thread.

upload it already!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    awesome dude!
    I've been playing guitar for like 6-7 years now and just finally joined a band a little ago, and also finally actually learning how to play guitar and theory behind it - I wish I didn't wait so long because I'm learning and improving so much so fast.

I'm getting closer to writing my own song, and it sure is hard (at least to get something I consider acceptable), so I totally see where you are coming from, I'm excited for you.

also interested in hearing it once you post it :D
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one, dude. I've tried to compose music tonnes of times and have failed miserably. I'm on the same boat as MoP, I can do both individually but never both combined.
    Looking forward to hearing the song.

-caseyjones
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I remember when I finally got the hang of playing and singing at the same time, it was like a revelation. Still havent written a song though! Nice one!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    dude, seriously good stuff. i remember the feeling i got when i wrote my first riff that my friends thought was cool. then the feeling when i wrote a whole track of riffage. and the same for lyrics.

putting the two together is always hard man, but i'm happy for you that you've nailed it!

hey i have an interesting idea... how about different musical polycounters compose a different part each, to a song. like one person posts their part, the next person/people try to add to it?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gir: I'd be up for that, although I have to warn everyone that I'm awfull.
    But if it's strictly for fun, sure!

Congrats on the milestone!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow good news!I remember my first real recording of a song I wrote, it felt amazing, hope the recording goes well :)

nice idea Gir, sometimes a song doesnt need more than about 4 instruments though and more would kill it,we would have to set up some limits to work within so that its actually productive
  • Steviant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Cheers for all the nice words :)

I was gonna record it this weekend gone, but I'm on rather serious drugs for my back injury and wanna do it justice, so I'm gonna work on this one (AND THE OTHER TWO I'VE STARTED! Hurray!) over Christmas, cos I'm going to Devon to get away, and it's a good environment for it. I'll record them as an EP when I get back, so early January, and then I'm putting a band together to play them live.

Very. Very. Very exciting times.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    how about different musical polycounters compose a different part each, to a song. like one person posts their part, the next person/people try to add to it?

I'd be all over that. Make a thread somewhere about this and I'll contribute asap.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Me too, actually. Or I will try to. Flute!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hell yea i'd be a part of that
    except i either compose and then use either synths or fl studio, or use fl studio directly
    the only instrument i play is my wind pipe [beat boxing] and a teeny bit of piano

but id love to see sommin like that come up ^

id take part, if i get the time!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FL Studio, beatboxing, rapping... your poor spelling and grammar suddenly make a lot of sense, indian_boy!

Straight out of compt... 4chan.

(it's a joke)