Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Carlo Carfora (carlo_c)

Been comtemplating whether to start a sketchbook for a while now, and I've decided that it will do me no harm to start one and will push me to better myself. I'm quite keen on getting C&C to improve so I don't mind the harsh comments.

First up here's a modular building I'm tackling, still progress to be made and I'm slowly figuring things out. Will use it as a testbed for getting to grips with the more advanced stuff in UE3's material editor. Oh i've fixed that corner since this screenshot lol.

Capture11.JPG

Replies

• carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been thinking I should post in here, so here's a bit more progress on my building.

sketchbook1.jpg

Have not had a chance to try some more advanced material editor stuff yet so its pretty much just diffuse, spec and normal.

Also, been working on the start of a showreel so I'll post it up here too. I'm going to be adding to it/changing it up for the next 6 months so it's really just the start here hehe.

Showreel Link - it's a 30mb .mov file so right-click save as :)

I'm going to set myself a realistic target of updating this sketchbook at least weekly, it'll be a great way to document my progress.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeep sketch I'm working on, going to try that technique with bringing it into photoshop and painting over it. Just gotta get the form down a bit more at the front.

jeep_sketch.jpg
  • ru4it
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ru4it polygon
    the front end is a little big to be jeep, and if ur going to put flood ligts on the top use a bar instead of a box, also most jeeps that i am aware of are more boxie looking except the hurricane concept.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a 50mm f1.8 for my canon 350d yesterday so went to central and took some shots. Also got to play with my mates sigma 10-20mm, here's a snap with some tweaking.

Happy new year everyone! :)

Edit: Thanks for the advice with the jeep shape I'll definately play with that a bit more I was working off a small thumbnail I did but will defo change the front shape before I paintover.
    IMG_0205.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got round to finishing up the jeep concept. Thanks for the advice with the front ru4it, really helped with the overall design, hehe I called it a mini jeep since most pics I saw of jeeps were a lot bigger and bulkier!

jeep_concept_final.jpg

My first try at one of these concept paintovers (watched the el_coro dvd was really inspiring) and I really enjoyed the whole process from 3D to finished product :) I'll definately be knocking out more of these when I can.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :( not much to post lately, here's what I've been working on this week should have it finished by tomorrow when I texture it all and get it into engine.

sketchbook2.JPG
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The start of a street

sketchbook3.JPG
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    generator.jpg

Yay for blurry jpg's lol, would post something better but it's only a small asset

EDIT: better quality jpg lol
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more building work getting done.

buildings.JPG

Got mightypea's brushes too which are awesome, knocked this up while waiting for a download... not much of a painter but I hope that will improve will time.

speed_paint_1.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK time for a long overdue update lol

building_grouped.jpg
    Various Modular Buildings, dirt + grime to be added via decals

pavement.JPG
    pavement_HP.JPG
    Tiling Pavement, low poly in marmoset and mudbox screen

traffic_light.jpg
    Traffic Light Prop

car_HP.jpg
    car_wip_1_Medium.jpg
    High Poly Car and low poly bake, normal and AO in xnormal

truck_wip_1.JPG
    truck_wip_2.JPG
    High Poly truck mesh, wip

They are all for a current wip project I'm working on with a friend using UE3 which you can check out here.

Thanks for reading, comments welcome! :)
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Those are looking really great, the engine renders the buildings beautifully too!

The concept jeep has to long of a hood/front thing though. :p
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope I'm not abusing by posting twice in a short space of time hehe.

I found some time when I should have been sleeping to render out a few of my high poly meshes for my portfolio. Thanks to x-convict for the awesome material tutorial, I wouldn't have got them rendered out so quickly and looking as professional without your tutorial!

EDIT: Broken images sorry

I'll be applying to studios for my first job in the next few weeks and while I'm not expecting to hear back from anybody straight away, it'll be nice to know that I put as much time and effort as I could into my portfolio so I don't feel like I short-changed myself if I don't get the replies.

I've still got the vehicles to texture and if anybody is curious as to what it's all for the link in my previous post has all the details :)

As always, thanks for reading and any C+C is much appreciated!
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    u are becoming better and better. Keep up the good work dude!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks vofff! :)

Here's some more stuff, just getting more work done on the project. For the life of me I couldn't get shadows to work properly on the terrain so we've just decided to go with BSP for the floor which works fine.

street_markings.jpg
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post but just recently discovred artrage, and it's loads of fun! I'm not that good at digital painting, or drawing in general so it's a great way for me to experiment with "traditional" tools in a sense.

I'm really enjoying the tools, the pencil tool really does look and feel like I'm using a pencil especially.

under_a_tree.jpg

This was just me using the roller to try a landscape and getting a bit into it :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some finished screenshots of our UT3 project, there was just me and my team mate Colin Ross working on this. It's been a long haul, I have learnt so much about the Unreal Editor, good workflow, normal mapping and baking, modularity and I have realised how much I still have to learn but I'm really eager to diversify and try something a bit more fantasy based next.

EDIT: More broken image links, sorry!

I'll hopefully get some breakdown shots too for my folio too, and then it'll be time to start something new! :)

As always, any crits and comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a long time since I updated this, I see some pictures are broken :( I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen in the future.

So I started life drawing in September and I thought I'd post up a few images of how its coming along. The time drawn for the images vary from 15 mins to an hour, I'm really surprised at how I've come along. I've always thought I wasn't very good at drawing and it's nice to see some improvement as I find it a real challenge :)

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

I'd love some advice on what I could do to improve and I will try to start updating this weekly with my life drawing.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another charcoal drawing, last life drawing class of the year but will keep drawing over the holidays!

lifedraw_30_12_09.jpg