Home Contests & Challenges Archives

LPC: Time 2 Die- Saad Butt

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
Ok so im reserving my spot :)
Hopefully ill be able to start working on this when im done with my texture for the marine.

OK so ive come up with a better brief;
So im probably going to make a comic strip out of it, something like 6 frames. Im going to have a dark alley. Theres is a trash dumpster in the corner of the rundown alley. Right in the middle of the alley infront of the dumpster is a bottle of beer. One of the two cover flaps of the dumspter bin opens, you can see 2 eyes clearing out the area. A hobo jumps out of the dumpster. Crouched, he starts hand-loving the bottle. Right behind him, a couple of zombies gang up on him ever so silently. BOOM

Hope it sounds exciting! will up with an update soon! :)

Replies

• butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello eveyrone!
    Didnt have any internet access so i couldnt post anything :P
    Im done with the modeling! :D

Here is the hobo (at 812 tris)
    wippy1.jpg

And the environment (its at 1500 tris i think )
    preunwrap.jpg
    Dont know if ill do a zombie or not though.

Next is unwrapping! Will update when i have the basic colurs down :)
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    looking good, nice silhouette.
    poor Hobo :( will he have any defense?
  • Carl Brannstrom
    claydough wrote: »
    looking good, nice silhouette.
    poor Hobo :( will he have any defense?

The zombies will know when they realize they got HIV!!!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thanks claydough :P
    HIV? i'd put my money on cooties :)

I have seriously no idea what i should do about the weapon though. Do you guys have any ideas? maybe like a syringe (;)) or something? he is at 813 and i think i can lower the count to 800 with some work on the hands. TELL MAY which waepon i could use with 30 tris XD
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Only thing off the top of my head is he could use a glass bottle (whisky, wine, that sort of bottle)? he could even have a paper bag which could act as a sheath for it?
    Soup can grenades ? I don't know :p
    Or he could be so hungry that he'd be the one eating the zombies with a knife and fork, reverse roles !

Looks good by the way.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    He needs a shopping cart! :)
  • islipaway
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    islipaway polycounter lvl 10
    A bag full of pennies?
  • il Duce Primo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    il Duce Primo polycounter lvl 15
    I like the idea of a whisky bottle and give him a plastic bag where he holds his stuff. Or you could make him where he took off his boot.
    Make a scene where he's desperate to get into the house.
  • cptincognito
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help guys! :D
    I do like the ideas youve mentioned, but i want to stay away from anyting that MIGHT add humour to the model :P

@ il duce:
    yeah i think im going to go with that idea. About him tryin to get into the ouse,i was thinking mroe like him being in the dumspter creeping out just a little bit?

cheers to alexl for the idea, i think ill go with that. Just a simple bag hanging from his waist with a bottle in it :)
    Edit:
    Will only do the bottle, no bag :P the bottle turned out to be around 38 tris lol so the total now is 831. Sounds ok to me?
    its roughly 800 tris right? XD

ill probably be going for a prostitute zombie (they ARE what you find in dark alleys at night eh? ;))

ok HELP
    So this is my unwrap. The whole envo on a 512 map. Is this how i should do this? dont have/nned any tiling btw.i had the dumpster on a seperate 128, but after reading the rules again and again, i joined everything. Can i get ob with the texturing now please? :)
    preview-2.jpg

EDIT:
    changed the sucky unwrap :)

EDIT 2:
    Ok so i DONT have any tiling textures,but i DO have things that im mirroring. Like half the dumpster,lights,grills and things like these:
    3096,gdsahgadsY38NZ.jpg

so does this count as tiling textures? what makes a tiling texture? if its tiled more than once? :/
    If its not counted as tiling, then butt-> :)
    If not, then that means that all the pieces i want to mirror/instance have to be on a 128? :/

Sorry first environment (bet you can tell) :(
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good so far. You might need to add another loop to the lower part of the jacket or you could be very restricted in the poses available.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone!

Ok so here is what i did, i set up the lights like in the second picture so that i could render out a light map to overlay ontop of my diffuse. The second picture shows how the render looks with my current light set-up. Now, when i render out the light/shadow map, i get the map on its right. Now there is no overlappig of uvs as all the mirrored shit was offset'd. What gives? isnt there a way i could render out a lightmap like the redner i have?
    I then tried a skylight and rendered out a map using a light tracer. Did a normal render as shown in the top. And the map on the right shows it as map. I dont see any light from the spot ligths and stuff.
    What gives? :/ why cant i render out a lightmap properly with the standard lights? i also have two photometric lights and i tried everything (radiosity,mental shaders,etc)
    3097,wtfLRG7P.jpg
    Oh yeah, thanks ric, yeah i knew i had to tackle that problem. I had geometry for the ear that i got rid of and added that loop in the coat. The total is now 820 :P
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the brim on my hat I just made a plane and then used alpha to make it round. Actually, I then split that into 4 quads so that I could use 1/4 of the texture 4 times.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooooh. very clever. reallly feel like a dumbass for not thnking that :/ maybe i wanted some depth :/

so ric, could you help with the above posted question? any idea wtf is going on? :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not just render the lighting directly into the mesh as vertex colours? Most games with these poly and texture restrictions would probably do that. You can have the skylight and your point lights and even bake in colours.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick, you have no idea how much helpful you have been. Learned alot of new things today, glad i did :D
    Props to rick for helping me take the polycount down and helping me with the lighting situation :)
    Heres the final hobo. I added a syringe ;) total count is whats on the image (i forgot already :s) Will alpha map that bottle and have it broken at one end
    3104,hobo2GNZ0T.jpg

And here is the final environment before i start texturing. The light map is untouched as of now, will tweak it in photoshop!
    3105,hobo2bAHMMG.jpg
    Can anyone spot the hobo? coke flavoured cookies for the one who guesses farst!
    thanks again rick :D

Also,
    thanks teriyaki! :D hope you like the update :)
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Zomg, dumpster hobo :poly124:
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^_^ lol

Ok so i started the texture, didnt know how to go about it, so start cropping out photos. It sucked ass. It looked lame and seemed like an easy way out. SO to learn as much as i can on this damn project, i went ahead and tried handpainting the environmebt.
    Everything is handpainted at the moment except two obvious dirt overlays (for the dumpster and the door). The window is a photo atm btw :)
    3109,texturewip1G87ZD.jpg
    You should be seeing some weird opactiy screw-ups which i wont fix till the end XD i just did a quick opacity map for the window grill.
    Refuse to do the dirty pass till the very end :)
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really good, the face on the character looks cool even before texturing!
    The grills over the windows arent working too well for me though, maybe the dirt will help. They look a little too chunky maybe?
    Excellent stuff though, killer hobo scene :)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello All,

First, thanks for dropping by ploon.Appreciate it :)
    Yeah teh grills really werent working for me either. I actually had more bars for it before, after which i reduced their number, but after reading your comment, i thougth i shouldnt have done that :) However, i thought reworking it was a much better choice :)
    Hope you like the update :) Let me know what you be thinking ;)
    Ok guys so im done with the environment :) I might do some particles for the steam coming out of the sewer cap/manhole, just to add interest and variety to the scene.So volumetric effects can be easily baked onto a map right? i dont have to do anything extra like i did with the vertex lighting?
    Pretty much everything is handpainted except the dirt overlays,the graffiti and unfortunately, the wall (base colors) :( oh and the trash in the dumpster too :(
    IMG%5D3113,lpcenvoY53E5.jpg
    Oh and by the way, that blue poster on the wall? right in the middle, it was made by my brother for a concert here :)
    Dont know if ill have time for the prostitute though. Im thinking of having her limb-les/capacited or something. Do you guys think i should? :)
    Hope you see some clever uv-reuses and hope yo cant tell whats mirrored and whats not :D
    Onto the character! :)

Please comment! :)
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was some quick work mate, cool scene:thumbup:
    I dont know if volumetrics can be baked, never tried that and I dont see how it could be done.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe thanks alot ploon :D
    I scrapped the volumetric issue.Too much of a hassle,too little knowledge :)
    Well, i textured the hobo :)
    Tried to be as asymmetric as i could. Everything is cut right through the middle but the patches have their own unique space. SOrry for the quality, i used MSpaint <3 cant be bothered opening PS :P
    3163,hoboupdateXZBT1.jpg
    Please comment! :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill dirty-fy it up now.
    I do see where your coming from with the stink line issue,so do you guess i shold take it out? I'd rather not, so maybe tell me how to make it more read-friendly! :D
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    His striped shirt should be sticking out of his open fly. Speaking of flies, he should have some, buzzing around his head and crotch.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    WOO! STINK LINES!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Looks like an alley with a bum. Where's the zombie? The safe house'ness?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micron:
    Hehe yeah :P shirt out the fly sounds crazy.yet arousing. i wanted to have flies aswell, but on a 128 diffuse/opacity, they looked like black dots XD

Tumerboy:
    Haha yeah :D

adam brome:
    yeah, i know! i thought the idea was pretty good right upto the end.And then when im done, i look at it, and i see exactly what you said, an alley with a bum.I was going to have a prositute zombie, but i couldnt make her in time :/I think i should have fortified the dumpster.... im fucked.My first contest and i dont know even if its fucking eligible to enter :/ GAH screw me :(

Well, waiting for the submission thread to open up
    Beauty shot 1
    BEAUTYSHOT1.jpg
    Beauty shot 2
    BEAUTYSHOT2.jpg
    Construction
    beautyshot3.jpg

and now....im sad :( *goes into a corner,crawls up..and dies*
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    this turned out sweet man! i love the hobo design, his shirt is really cool. you finished more than i could manage in this time frame :).
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe thanks japhir.but i failed :(
    You should have had a go at an envo aswell.Too much fun!
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, wicked! Excellent concept and execution dude. :D
  • ploon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats brilliant Sahib! :) I dont know if its eligible either but it looks sweet from
    where I'm sitting. Damn gotta do mine now, tough act to follow dude!
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    Moar blood and bodily excretions please. Human slurry, can I have it?

You have to fix the enviro texture quickly to get it entered! just redo that wall texture, the rest is passable im sure.

PS: I dont accept your excuse about the flies...add the flys to your Enviro texture and put your character under that part of the environment. :P
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WhiteEagle:
    Thank you very much for the support :D<3

Ploon:
    I highly doubt that ;) im sure youl manage haha
    Though you should think about adding more of your excellent environment in your beauty shots :)

Microneezia:
    Hehe wouldnt that be cheating?:P using the space on the environment map fro something that will be used for the character? If i had to move the flies somewhere,it would have been maybe in the accessories map,but its a 64 :P
    As you can HOPEFULLY see from the wall texture on the map, that i have used the same uv space AS MUCH as I could.Adding blood eh? Ill have to add that to a plane i guess, as even the slightest distinct spot on the texture mirrors horrifically :P Maybe, i could use that window grill texture to make like a cage around the dumpster.hmmm
    man i REALLY dont want to touch this project again :/
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    mmmm... this is BUTT-TASTIC my friend.

I'm gonna echo what everyone has said, great execution, and well done on getting it done in time, you really have proven how good of an artist you are becoming man :)

Top notch work for a top notch fellow :P

Hugz