Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winchester 1895

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
X-Convict polycounter lvl 18
Alright well I decided I wanted to see how a weapon would look in our engine at work with a decent material and good maps on it in comparison to other engines I've made FPS weapons for and seen be made for. so I finished this 1895 model I did a high poly for a few months ago and textured it.
I decided to stick with a pretty clean version for now to try to match good metal and wood materials. If I go back to it I will add cloth wrapped on the fore grip, kill notches on either the metal receiver base or on the stock or above the trigger guard, some rust in certain areas and deeper scratches and scrapes from use and bad handling, and maybe a scope addition.

The low is ~3500 tris, it's using pretty big maps right now because it's just to test this.

These are all shots from the model viewer in the INFERNAL engine except for the 2 wireframe shots in max.

High poly:
1895_renders.jpg

Low In-engine shots:
1895_infernalRenders.jpg

Textures:
1895_texturemaps.jpg

Just updating this thread with my revolver I finished up throwing it into our engine instead of making a new thread:

High:

coltPython_renders.jpg

In-Engine Low: ~4000 tris

coltPython_infernalRenders.jpg

Textures:

coltPython_textures.jpg

Replies

• super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Damn that's pretty, though the specularity seems to be a bit intense. Good work.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how you got the material definition of the polished wood :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    very nice indeed, you could paint the nmap scallop in a way the angle of the edges could not be seen, but thats a very nice work.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thats lovely.. want to shoot it
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    Real sweet, the specular looks to bright in the textures as caseofchill says, but in the engine i think it looks quite alright, a bit too much on the wood maybe, but the metal looks A OK
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Is the Infernal engine a custom engine, or the engine of the game "Infernal"?
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    very sweet texturing :) makes me actually wanna make my first ever gun model :D:D:D nice work!
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just have a question for the OP what technique did you use to create your spec map?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    awesome, you even remembered the ears so it can accept stripper clips.
    I love this weapon, and gunna make a lowpoly of it sometime soon.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera, caseofchill - Thanks! Someone else mentioned this and I wanted the wood to come off as very smooth but I can see how at certain angles the metal spec may come off a bit strong, it's hard to judge right now without getting it into a FPV model and seeing how it would be lit and the intensity that the spec map would need to be to accomodate that in our engine. It's just a matter of tweaking it but it's definitely something I am aware of :)

carlo_c, bugo, rooster - Thanks guys for the comments!

LEViATHAN - "Infernal" is our (Terminal Reality) in-house proprietary engine.

Razorb - Thanks man! Do itt!! :D

duxun - I create my spec map from my diffuse map, editing levels and colors and adding layers of wear and scratches to areas.

Harry - Yep, I gathered a bunch of good refs to make sure I was able to make it as accurate as possible. Thanks for the comment man, can't wait to see your lowpoly version!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Model and textures look nice, good work!

My main critique is on the presentation...
    The in-game shots look a bit weird... why are there occasionally tiny bright blue pixels around the outlines of the model, and what's the "outer glow" effect for? Seems like it's actually making it look not as good as it could.

Also the aliasing is pretty bad on those in-game shots, I noticed the same on you guys' Unearthly Challenge entry (Metzelei Haus), is that just something the engine does? Can't you turn on higher antialiasing/multisampling modes? That'd really help the in-game presentation I think. Right now the edges of your model just look really scrappy as a result of the aliasing + blue pixels + glow effect.

The highpoly render is much cleaner and nicer but again you've put an "outer glow" around everything which is hiding the silhouette in some places.

What's the map on the bottom of your textures for? I was thinking ambient occlusion but it can't be, the average surface colour is mid gray, and all the edges are highlighted - it looks more like a Crazybump pass.
    If it is ambient occlusion, how is it being used by the engine? Is it being multiplied down onto the diffuse, or is it actually used as a mask for the ambient lighting when not in direct light? Either way, I would have expected the majority of it to be much lighter. I'd be interested to know what it's for though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice model and texture dude, one thing i would look into is simplifying the wood in your specular. A lot of times people
    make the mistake of almost mirroring the detail level of their diffuse in their specular(just more or less contrast) and this
    really can be bad for certain types of materials. I like to really simplify, and pull out a lot of the values in the spec for that
    shiny, lacquered wood effect.

If you look at something like this
    g3woodbuttstock.jpg

You'll noticed that the reflection itself is a bit more diffused, and generally a lot less noisey than the detailing you
    would get in your diffuse/bump. There shouldn't ever really be any "highlights" in wood spec, really because when
    you wear/damage a surface like this its only going to get less shine, never more. So you start out with your base
    material, that = max shine, and only subtract from that, not add.

Now the way i usually go about doing this, is i'll copy the diffuse material, and then take a layer over it about 90-95%
    oppacity with my flat, blueish color and just fill that area, so you've got very very little contrast in it. And then i'll go back
    to the diffuse, and do a select by color on some of the darker pixels of the diffuse, and just flood fill that black, and adjust
    the opacity to my liking etc, maybe do this a couple times with a couple layers and varied sample points/ selection settings.
    And then multiply any sort of dirt layer you might have, etc.

Also another little general trick i like to do is to bake a slight gradient, usually a little darker around the barrel, lightest around
    the trigger area/sights area/whatever you want to be the focus, and the darker towards the buttstock as well, this will just help
    to get rid of the sort of flatness that you get without doing any hand painted lighting or any of that oldschool stuff. This is
    usually one of hte last things i do with a texture, and it can really help to just add a little bit of..... "depth" i guess you could say.

In the end you want to end up with something like this(sorry i dont have a copy of the diffuse here, maybe i'll post it later).

woodspec.jpg

Anyway, hope that helps a little.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop - Thanks! The tiny occasional blueish pixels are the background color I used in our editor to make it easier to seperate the model from the background so I could put each shot on it's own layer in a file and organize it, unfortunately I couldn't get all of them and didn't want to go in pixel by pixel to remove them. The glow effect is just a presentational glow around those individual layers, also to help remove some of the outer blue, didn't get them all as said earlier.

The aliasing issue is just our engine and model viewer, not sure how deeply this is being worked on but may be on a "to-do" list. I'm with you on it though, would be nice to have the options.

The highpoly render has the outer shadow for presentational purpose to seperate it from the background, I personally like it for some of my highs, so I do it every now and then, you're actually the first that's mentioned it bothering them.

Last map is actually the AO, it is brighter in the version used on the material, I guess I must have copied the wrong file as I checked after I read your post in comparison. It's an AO bake from our TRI normal mapper mixed with a light overlay of an AO crazy bump pass. There's only a slight difference honestly with it in the material so it really isn't a crucial map, but again this model and material was to test a few things out.

EQ - Thanks man! I liked the amount of spec coming off of the wood right now but that is a great tip and I'll run through the spec again to give it a better material finish with your suggestions. I appreciate the explanation dude.

Thanks guys for the comments!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as the aliasing is concerned, you could try forcing on anti-aliasing in your graphics drivers, just crank it up to the max setting. =D We also managed to get a function for our model viewer to export a really large screenshot(like 4096x****) and then just downsize in PS. Works really well, and i think it was a pretty easy add, code wise.

Also try maxing out anisotropic filtering, it can REALLY help for those FPV angle shots where you get the bad mip-mapping.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah see if you can get engine support for writing out huge screenshots. We have support for any resolution, and any level of multiple samples, so even if the hardware doesn't support it I can just type "screenshot 3000 2000 32" and i'll get a 3000x2000px screenshot with 32 antialiasing samples. Really handy for presentation shots. Pitch it to them that it's great for press/media screenshots, magazines will love you since you can provide them with huge-resolution ingame shots! :)

Fair enough with the blue pixels thing - I'd probably recommend just setting the engine background colour to be the colour you want to use in the background of your presentation (eg. dark grey here), then you won't even have to photoshop anything. As for the glow I guess it's just personal taste.
  • Lear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice gun man!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    EQ that looks like a CETME stock to me, they use a completely different style of finishing
    but having said that, i dont reckon this guy's wood finish looks *quite* right but I doubt it would bother most people.

edit: oh and what's with posting a massively oversized rifle with an unrealistic texture?
  • Ksan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, I like it. I think your spec on the wood looks good.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cranked up max settings on video card, did a little, having the options though in the model viewer plus exporting screenshots would be tight though.

Yeah that's slick MoP, definitely convenient for magazine screenshots as you mentioned. I went with your suggestion to just set the background to my usual dark gray, worked out better than I thought with selecting the background.

Lear: Thanks man! Where have you been??

Ksan: Thanks, I appreciate it :)

Just updating this thread with my revolver I finished up throwing it into our engine instead of making a new thread:

High:

coltPython_renders.jpg

In-Engine Low: ~4000 tris

coltPython_infernalRenders.jpg

Textures:

coltPython_textures.jpg
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    <3

Love the fact that you modeled the swinging arm of the revolver chamber correctly and the inside where it lines up with the barrel...so tasty
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    That Python is one of the sexiest handgun I`ve ever seen! Maybe add a rim light for the ones on the right as the grip fades into darkness losing the silhouette
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    really really nice! I actually get the sense of weight from it just b/c the materials are so spot on.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Really good work! I see guns modeled and textured all the time and its like... "big deal, its a gun". But these look so good, it really sets them apart from other guns I have seen. I Can't wait to see more.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slick stuff man, i think the materials read a lot better this time around, great job!
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work. Insane amount of detail in the textures.

Cheers!
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all the positive feedback. I'll have some more stuff here soon I hope :D
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Really good work! I see guns modeled and textured all the time and its like... "big deal, its a gun".

"guns" are like any other subject of art, they can be made properly or fucked up. Weapons are actually very rarely made well in commercial games beacause of this "big deal, its a gun" attitude. Same reason youll often come across trees and plants that are a completely fictitious species.
  • X-Convict
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't like the old shots of this I had taken from in-engine, so took new ones. Just screens, HUGE images:

1895_HUGEshots01.jpg

1895_HUGEshots02.jpg
  • coldkodiak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldkodiak polycounter lvl 17
    really nice. Clear you put some love into this.