Home Technical Talk

Shop front window texturing?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
When texturing windows in an urban environment whats the best way?

I've read people criticising the plastered on, real shop window method, stating that using an environment map for reflections would be best. However, does that not require the materials to be black so that the reflections show up? If a player is close to the window won't it look a bit boring having all windows black/dark? I'm working on a tall building so the top floors won't require a high res texture and almost certainly no normal map, whereas the lower windows will be seen close up by the player. How do you make it look realistic?

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interior Mapping

Seriously though, mostly games just shutter the windows so there are no interiors. A flat image of an interior looks pretty bad when you're closeup to it, but it does look OK for something like a racing game.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    maybe some really lowpoly props (shelfs and other cubic geometry) and commercial stuff on the windows to cover the most visible stuff.

this interiour mapping is aweseome
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi: When it was first posted there was debate about whether it'd actually be better, though. I believe it was stated that it was quite resource-heavy, even when compared to just modeling it all out in lowpoly.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input maynes, it seems that the shop front window isssue will not be resolved fully until the amazing interior mapping is implemented. Might go the shutter route, if not plastered on images here I come.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Interior mapping's already been used in Crackdown on xbox360 and you'll see it in Skate2 as well on xbox360 when that ships.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent, I was already looking forward to Skate 2, completed the first one.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    If it's an FPS or similarly detailed game, and you have the polys/textures/memory to spare, modeling out some basic props to make an actual window display would be great, and then just have some dark, generic interior texture on a plane behind that.

If not, most people just have some plastered image on the outside.

Personally, if you're down to a single poly for the window, I would much prefer a dark, generic glass texture for a store window, than a brightly lit image of the interior of the shop.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Personally, if you're down to a single poly for the window, I would much prefer a dark, generic glass texture for a store window, than a brightly lit image of the interior of the shop.

For sure. Pasted on photos look terrrrrible. Better to just do a nice reflected glass texture, or maybe those security type bar things than an interior with a single plane
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Do not put textured/painted reflections or interiors on the glass. Even in racing games. It just looks bad. They have no perspective to them as you move by, and this sticks out like a sore thumb.

If there are closed blinds a few inches behind the window, those can be OK in texture. The slight error in perspective is not noticable.

If your glass is not transparent, just paint them black if it is bright outside. For night, you can self-illuminate and paint them yellow for lights on, or any other color you want.

If your glass is transparent, make some simple false backdrops. Just a box or something similar with textures mapped on the walls. If you like, add a simple prop or two in the foreground behind the window to give it some more depth. Just butt these little interior facades right up close to the inner portion of your window. Even if it's a fairly low resolution texture, it shouldn't be too noticeable if the glass has reflections of the exterior environment.

Doing a mix of painted/closed blind windows with texture, along with some transparent glass windows with false backdrops seems to be a nice combination. I personally prefer to paint 6 or 8 false backdrops on a texture sheet (reduce calls) with a variety of different lighting conditions. (i.e. room with bright lights on, a dark room, a dim room with one lamp on in the corner, etc) Then I apply the textures to my interior facade boxes, and just set the shader to self-illuminated. That way they show up nice, and there's no niggling with lights to get them to show up correctly.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips, exactly what I was after.
  • [Deleted User]
    Frankly it depends on the scale of the environment as well. In GTA4 for example they do use plastered on storefronts because the city is so large that it would not make sense for every store to be shuttered and it wouldn't be efficient to model out interiors, even if only to a basic degree.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    one of the eat 3d dvds has a cool technique for an interior image that shifts depending on viewing angle and looks like it has depth. they did this by using parallax mapping tied to a camera vector i believe, check out the site for more info, its really convincing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're not thinking post-apocalyptic enough. Smash everything, dirty it up, bar it up, plaster it with ads, news paper or graffiti. Done. Works for 90% of games today... sad but true.

On a serious note, simple scene behind some windows like a display is a great way to get the job done for shops. For the large majority of the windows cover them up, most people draw their blinds for privacy at least at street/player level they do. But blacking them out with some simple details over the black is good too.