Home Technical Talk

Max 2009 - Cloning in place. . .

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
yes, the issue has arisen again. This time I HAVE to figure out a way around it.

Cryptic just upgraded from Max 8 to 2k9.

I (like many) have been using Shift-LMB to clone objects, and more importantly, sub-objects in place, for as long as I can remember. In max 2008, they removed this feature. You can Shift-Drag to clone things, but shift-clicking does not clone in place as it once did.

Now, there are work arounds for cloning the entire object, RMB -> Clone, or CTRL-V. I don't like them, but I can get used to that in time I'm sure.

The problem is, I have no idea how to JUST clone some sub-object selection in place. Both of the above options clone the entire object, even if you're in sub-object mode with a selection. My usual modeling process involves a fair bit of cloning polys in place, for extrusion, manual movement, etc.

So. . . I know some people here must have been using 2k8/9 for a while now, any tips to someone newly thrown to the wolves?

Thanks in advance.

-Nick

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    For whole objects: Right click > lower right quad menu > Clone.

For sub objects: Edit Poly > Detach Options > Detach as element.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    sucks big time, really i don't understand why thy removed the shift+click cloning

on object level the standard shortcut is ctrl+v like paste in other tools, that should work on subobject level too, but noooooo it has to be done with detach, oh man that is really annoying
  • Mark Dygert
    I don't think it would be too difficult to script up a keyboard shortcut to offer a paste like feature for edit poly.

But yea its kind of annoying when they take something out and refuse to remove other actual useless garbage...
  • Rob Galanakis
    There is no solution for this that anyone has found (I've tried contacting autodesk people to no avail). You may not get used to it but you'll stop complaining about it, our character art department went through the same thing :(
  • Mark Dygert
    Personally its little inflexible things like this, that make working with silo so enjoyable. If you haven't checked it out yet, I suggest you do, it works pretty much how you imagine these types of tools do. Speed and ease of use make it great, its low price make it easier to get into the pipeline, but understand some places just won't want to support another app =/
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Commander Keen (sitting next to me, and tired of hearing me bitch about this problem) wrote a quick max script to at least let me clone sub-objects in place using CTRL-V

If anyone wants it, send me an email and I'll send it over

[email]nduguid@@crypticstudios.com[/email] (only 1 @)
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    For Sub-Object, I just turn on vertex snap (S), drag the element away (keeping left mouse pressed), then snap it back to where I got it from. Hit S again to turn off snaps. For objects, Ctrl V.