Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barbarian chick

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
Hey guys :D.

I realised i never do any chicks (heheh :poly121:) so here's one for ya :).
it's based off of blizzards concept for diablo 3.

first wip, looooong way to go so crits are most welcome!
barbarianchickwipkn0.jpg

I tried capturing it, so i could make a video tutorial. the first part worked, but somehow it wouldn't work today, so no head video. when i'm done i'll all edit it together and hope to make some timelapse/tutorial. mainly focusing on how to set up your textures efficiently and doing uv's etc. (i think i've got a GREAT workflow from finished model to start of texture).

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good Japhir, she has some thunder thighs and a bit of a small head but other than that looks like shes on the right track. It would also be helpful to see the concept art (too lazy to search the d3 site for it). Boobs could probably use some more cuts to help make them more rounder. Lookin forward to the video tutorial!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks mate!
    the boobs where killing me, i'll add in some loops there.
    oh, for the concept klick the link i posted haha. i hid it under diablo concept.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    holy built woman batman yea shes a little thick around the ridges even for a barbarian girl.

Go back and tighten it up a bit with the overall more thing more slinder but not ALOT

also torso seems a bit short could be perspective though
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wiliams sister :) yea little bit longer torso i think also you can tone down the arms and legs a bit they are big as everyone has said also on the boobs build with gravity in mind the bottom half should be much heavier and rounder and the top much flater i think yours are modeled a bit wide and a bit low on her torso as well, and yea head is a bit small and a bit thin for that body type. good base tho should be easy to smooth out those areas. also with the acception of the upper chest the loops are pretty well spaced and should allow for good normals if your going to make some for it.

Gl on the fixes!

-Woog
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    I think its pretty tops man now its time to accessorize!
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I was going to comment on those Chun-Li thighs, then I saw the concept & shut my mouth...haha.

Pretty much everything has already been said, for the calves, maybe give them more of a tapering curve as it goes down to the ankle: not too much, but enough to still read as female. The model over all, I'd say the form needs more of the S curve: right now it's pretty stiff.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Maybe it's because the head is angled down somewhat in the concept, and you took that into consideration, but is the chin too strong? Eyes too high? And perhaps the curve of the butt muscles in side view are also too high. But you probably don't need to dwell on stuff like that too much, if you can get the proportions accurate for the bodytype.

Other than having those suggestions, I like the bulkiness of the character. Will look good when you put some hair up top.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea good call after looking more closely at the concept i think the thighs are good, the other points still stand tho. still looking good .

-woog
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Can you post a slightly larger picture of an orthographic front and side view, with the arms hidden in the side view? That would help a lot with the paintover goodness. :poly128:
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    meh, i'm all for the thunder thighs...i'd assume a female barbarian would normally her xena-esk thigh crushing move to counter her foes..

just imagine, the new barbarian female in diablo 3 gets a special wirlwind THIGHS of DEATH! move...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow so many great crits! i got my video capturing stuff working again, so the video tutorial is still in the making :D.

barbarianchickwip2ox7.jpg

Seforin: thanks, changed it.

Cholden: lol, had to look that up and was SCARED. hehe.

Woogity: thanks! are the boobs better now? i don't think i'll be going for normals, because this is for a video tutorial and it doesn't really make sense to make a video tutorial about something i'm not familiar with myself...

J Randall: thanks! started on them.

Kaoticvisions: thanks! i forgot about the calves for this update :(.

Vrav: thanks! included them.

DemonPrincess: wooh seriously? the queen of female modeling ;). here it is.

achmedthesnake: hahah who wouldn't want those!

I hope it's better now!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its lacking alot of shape atm, specialy in the side view.
    Throw in some curves and get rid of the cylinder look.

The croch is realy high,
    the neck is a bit short,
    her shoulders can be a bit bigger.

The area around her boobs is sticking out too much. The boobs lay ontop of the ribcage, so its easier to create the ribcage first, and then add two tear-drop-shaped boobs and go from there.

I would also suggest cleaning up the face and the pelvis area, it looks a bit messy.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'm with rens. This is bulky in a vague way, but lacks the shapes to look like a strong woman, and many of the shapes from the concept.

shitty paintover (drawover?) --

2mhyh54.jpg

Major things to look out for:
    -Skeletal structure! Women have leaner skeletons than men. Muscle then curves into these set points. Shoulders are WAYY too wide from the side for a woman, no matter how muscular.
    -The ribs (or more specifically, the muscles that line the outside of them, and their relationship to the obliques) are not properly defined.
    -Same with the hips.
    -Profile in general. Note some of the stuff i did in my paintover. You have universal bulk, that doesnt really look right. She should have mass where there are muscles that gain mass, and not where the body contours more closely to the skeleton. Bring the lower back in, consider putting some bulk into the upper abs -- it's a style thing really, a very strong fighter would have it, but it may not look good for a stylized woman.

Specific tweaks:
    -Smooth out the nose a bit if you want to match the concept, the bridge isnt that strong.
    -Check the relationship between the neck and shoulders.
    -Check the relationship between the chest, ribs, and obliques/hips. They flow vaguely, there's a specific meeting between her ribs and her hips in the concept, that's important to sell the shapes.
    -The shoulders. Muscles are too small/undefined, the shoulder is one of the places where you REALLY see different forms nestling into eachother. Make sure you get the right forms there!
    -The Arms! She has big forearms atm, but no visible muscular contour in them. That's really a big issue. Tried to exaggerate it in my paintover, that's a serious point to make sure you have right if she's gonna be capable of swinging swords or axes (or hell, throwing a punch)
    -Crotch is too high, im pretty certain. Definitely judging by the concept. It makes the legs look weak.
    -Leg shapes. Opposing curves on the inside and outside of the thigh (get ref), same on the calves, inside of knee is to vague atm.

... this is a lot of crits, but i like the model overall. The basic form of the sillouette is there, you just need to push every portion of it to really get the right look.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I hate to say it, but I liked it a lot better before man. :(
    She felt really solid before, like she could really destroy someone, now...not so much. I think if you took what you had before and tapered the ankles a bit, bulked up the biceps, forearms, shoulders and breasts and scaled up the head a smidge, I think it would look much better. Now she just looks..generic. Keep it up man.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suprore beat me to the paintover, and basically said what I was going to say as well.

Oh well, here it is anyway. :D!!

barbarianchick_example.gif

Now in addition to what Suprore said:

-Thighs need to taper much more towards the bottom, and be much wider at the top, especially in side view.
    -The ankles appear broken with the feet shifted backwards
    -Thickest part of the upper arm should be at the top, not at the bottom.
    -Define the collarbones.
    -Use smoothgroups to create a hard edge below the boobs, where the lips part and around the back of the ear. That way the mesh will shade much better.
    -Planes of the face are incorrect. I tried to address that by tweaking the shading, but close-ups of the face are necessary to go into detail.
    -Eye area is too wide and slightly too high up in the head.
    -Jaw can be fairly wide and chiseled, but the chin should be finer to show that she is in fact female.
    -Tapering the fingers will create more feminine elegance in the hands while keeping their mass.
    -Curve the shin bone lightly.
    -Breasts are too tubular in shape.
    -The breasts in the concept are larger, and I recommend following that to offset the massive shoulders.
    -Be sure to capture the pinch point at the top of the breast just before it flows into the shoulder.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Damn DemonPrincess, your paintovers are awesome. Always good to see so much effort put into a critique. I agree with your crits too.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The first character I make in Diablo 3 will be a female Barbarian.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay! I love you guys/girls! thanks sooo much for the extensive criticism. (i'm a crit addict).

update:
    barbarianchickwip3db6.jpg

Rens: thanks. i hope it's better now, i redid the pelvic area, but i still need to clean up the face a bit.

Suprore: thanks!! i tried to define the skeletal structure especially in the elbow area, and the hip area. I also tweaked the boobs/ribcage quite a bit.

oglemeanimitations: hmm too bad i didn't save iterations ;). i hope this is better?

DemonPrincess: thank you very much! i really like your paintover, and basically used it as direct ortho's for the update :P. thank you so much for putting so much time and effort into helping me (and possibly/probably others as well).

Xaltar: agreed :D

killingpeople: hehe, yeah the concept is pretty awesome.

edit: i just layed out some heads next to her, and i think i'm gonna lower the crotch some more.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Japhir,

Looking good. How are you going to go about tackling the hair from the concept?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    hellllo japhir
    Dayum thats a nice concept! @_@
    Everything looks to be in shape
    Whats the polycount on this model atm? :/
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good now man. Only one small crit, the upper forearm (this muscle in specific http://brauche.eine.praezise.info/image82.jpg ) is really lacking shape for someone with arm strength -- that's gonna bulk way up if one boxes or fights with a weapon.

Looking forward to the equipment and hair!
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    good start dude, u plan on making a highpoly ?
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!

I'm having some trouble: I really don't know how much detail to put in here.. should i model all the straps or would that be overkill? and what about the breast armor? usually i let the diffuse define most of my work, but once i started doing it this way it was hard to decide: nah that strap is so small, i'll just paint it. or something.
    any thoughts?

barbarianchickwip4vh0.jpg

pixelmitherer: thanks! i'm going with alpha mapped planes. should be fun to do :D.

butt_sahib: yeah it is that's why i chose it :P. 2468 tris for the female shape itself, and 851 tris for the accessories.

SupRore: thanks! i didn't really know how to define it with such limited amount of polys... i hope it's alright this way?

Johnny Raptor: thanks! i don't think so, because i'm videocapturing this to be a tutorial, and it hardly makes sense to do a video tutorial about something at which i SUCK :P. (i should have picked a man for the tutorial though, now there is sooo much tweaking going on all the time).

edit: oh crap, after tweaking the female proportions i forgot to move those shoe-thingies in the correct place again, so the ankles are coming through.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I to , am interested on how you will approach the hair of this character

also looking at your concept wheres the upper half of the character with the fur/chain guard thing?

also make flat alphas for the feet//hand area so you can paint a fur alpha and have that kinda wooly fur look to this character.

keep it up its looking rather nice!

I say for the chains make flat alphas and have those be tileable so you can have those around and give the character more depth without the sake of alot of geo being eaten
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Figure looks better now. I would still add another section to the inside of the breasts, and then use those extra polies to soften the transition between her breast and the rest of her chest. I would also add two more polies to the underside of each breast.

Like this:
    barbarianchick_example2.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks!
    barbarianchickwip5ux5.jpg

hmm... i don't if i'm going to keep all of the floating stuff, it is pretty messy and i don't know if this is the right way to do it...

seforin: good to see you had the exact same things in mind as i did ;). i wanted to keep the fur stuff for last. i'll model it all next time.

demonprincess: thanks! that's way better! you can't see it very good in this image though, because of the bra thingy. (which also still needs fur).
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet progression my friend. Looking forward to the details.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The forearm crit i kept bringing up is a minor silhouette issue, and it looks fixed in the latest update. The curve of the forearm was starting too low -- the muscle in question comes from BEHIND the arm, and with the way the forearm was shaped before it didn't look like it existed at all.

This is looking sweet now man, keep going!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! here's some furrrrr.
    next up is the hair, that should be interesting ;). after that i need to put together the modeling video and find someplace to upload it to. hmm...

moz-screenshot-3.jpgbarbarianchickwip6fv8.jpg

caseofchill: thanks :D

SupRore: ah ok, i did tweak it a bit. I've also been doing some anatomy drawings lately (focusing on the arms) so now i actually have a clue about what you where talking there ;).
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hairhairhair :D

sketches12yt3.jpg
    after this i'll have to optimise her (lots of geometry that can't be seen because it's hidden by the shoes/bra etc.) and then i'll edit the video and upload it somewhere. I'll also release an sdk once everything is finished, but probably not until after i textured her myself :P.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet progress, keep kickin it out. Awesome crits in this thread, its great you listened to em all, its really starting to shape up.

Crit:
    The shin guard pieces seem a bit thick and stubby.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm so you layed out all your hair before you uv unwrapped it? I usually only lay a few key pieces and then start copying them once I make a base texture to those pieces to see how it fits in the entire model..intrested on how you will handle the hair..and I agree with vig shinguards are a bit big
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Cool concept and I know why I'd like to model her. The only suggestion I have is to tuck the edge loop below the breast in a bit.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude first of all let me say this is lookin real nice, something i just noticed a second ago and was hoping to sneak in before you hit the next stage, it looks like the crease in the middle of her back is a bit wide and also a bit deep. armor looks nice , hair is great, cant wait to see some textures :)

-Woog
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    when i look at the concept and the model side by side, your version seems a lot more streched and less buff, mostly missing muscle mass in the upper body.

sorry to tell you so late, but i only just saw the combined image
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the hair may give you problems where it's framing her face. I think you'll see too much of the "sides" of the polygons rather than the main surfaces. You'll be able to see inbetween the hair layers too much, showing that it is in fact just a few layers and not a full head of hair. You could relieve this problem by adding a vertical cut to the frontmost layers, and then curving them in to frame the face more closely.

Also, seforin is suggesting a really good method for hair. And the same method would work really well for the fur as well.

You'll be able to see much better what the final effect will be if you already have some temporary alphas on the hair planes as you're modeling!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the replies guys/girl!
    no update in this post yet, just some replies.

Vig: thanks :D. i'll tweak it next time.

seforin: yeah i usually do it that way too but this time i felt pretty sure where the geo was supposed to go, so i modeled it all (everything copied from one hairplane so the uv's are ok for later) and will tweak it more after i unwrap everything and start the texture. i just wanted to see what the hair would add to the character (and i didn't feel like starting on the uv's just yet ;)).

Target_Renegade: thanks! will do.

woogity: aaight thanks!

Snader: hmm i agree... i think the texture will make up for that mostly, but i'll tweak teh geo aswell.

DemonPrincess: thanks! as said i'll tweak it to my liking once i started on the texture, this was just a quick blockin. (in total it actually took me about 10 minutes for the head hair, and about 10-15 for the fur.)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALLLO!

Its really bugging me so i'll just come out and say it. I know you might work on it later...but are the boots not attached to the model?or is it floating geometry?

Great work :D
    Loking forward to the tutorial ;) i myself am making one for some peoplez :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's floating geo ;).

i have all of the video parts done (and edited) but should i add audio cometary or not? i do have some stuff to explain (about custom settings and my procedure etc.), but speaking in the mic is pretty silly (and my mic sucks). any thoughts?
    and once i'm done, does anybody know of good places to upload it to? (it's pretty big, about 700 MB or so..)
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your actually making a video to this character :p Top notch my friend!

pm privately and I'll let yah host it on my site. But if not you can use things like rapidshare and such

only bad side with that is that they delete over time.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    nice , looking forward for your tuts ..
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everybody, I finished the video tutorial!
    Adding sound felt very silly, and I should note that I am actually Dutch and English is not my native language (for example: i keep saying: but uhh.. whatever).
    I really hope this is useful to some people, because it was pretty annoying to have to record everything. (and compressing the video somehow took windows movie maker 7,5 hours, and then uploading took another 3 hours :().

videopt1titlescreencopyem0.jpg

comments i didn't think about while recording:

Find out about the lights plugin overhere:
    Technical talk thread

Find out about the tutorial where I got my keyboard shortcuts from:
    How you model them shapes thread (the url to the tutorial itself is broken now).

I set up my reference planes by making a plane with the same dimensions as my image (so if my image was say.. 700x600 my plane would be 6,0x7,0)

The actual time it took me to model all of this was 6 hours and 11 minutes. (it was sped up 2^3 times so multiplied by 8 ;)). (but since i didn't capture the second head, it was probably half an hour longer).

The annoying sound in the background (squeky noise) was actually the sound of my speeded up video playing in the background. i only found out that i exidently left on some sound when i was already halfway through.

I highly recommend that you turn on some music or something if your watching this, because it isn't very exciting hehe. (i could have included music but i thought you'd probably like your own music better.)

And yes, I know I was mumbling.

(oh, and seforin might host it for me, but we'll see if it's necessary.)

EDIT: i'm going to upload it to Vimeo tomorrow, should be better :D.
  • Japhir
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Liked the video very much. Learned some new tricks from you.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everybody. My videocapture of the uv's worked, but somehow the sound really messed up. i'll try to fix it, but just in case it doesn't work: here's the basic process in writing.

Barbarian Chick Tutorial Part 2: unwrapping.

uv's:
    make sure all the fur and hair and chains are out of the way (move them off to the side for later on)

convert it all to editable polys and merge it all together (attatch tool).

delete all the geometry that i will mirror.

add a simple planar map to the whole model (except for the fur/hair/chains)

select edges that will become seems later on.

in the edit uv window go rightclick>break to make the selection a seem.

select the uv chunks and relax them (i have it set to shift+r)

straighten out all the uv's that need it (all the bands, belts etc.)

start putting the puzzle together. (start with the big chunks and work your way down).

if you're done, and still have some space left create unique uv's for areas of the fur and hair (by selecting it all, then deselecting some in the 3d view and then moving it away).

photoshop:
    now to prepare everything for photoshop go to texporter (download it if you don't have it already) and export a .tga with alpha of 512x512.

use .psd pathunwrapper to create a working path with the uv data in it. (way better than a regular image with the wires on it).

ctrl+click the alpha channel of the .tga file to select it. then drag it out to the .psd file.

copy the layer, select the lower one and go filter>other>minimum and set it to about 2 or 3.

and that's it!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for the tutorial japhir. Great work and a great thanks from the gameart community! :)

p.s.
    You sound excellent :) i understand how you must be feeling about how your voice wil turn out, i myself did a 8hr long tut for some company along time ago (english is not my native tongue either! . But as comforting as it may be, i couldnt tell a difference ;)
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should pull the outer jaw line up a bit to match the concept. Jawline looks a little manly
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    lookin pretty good japhir! nice choice in concept :D
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    butt_sahib: thanks :D wow 8 hours :O. your crazy.

cep: done and done. thanks! (maybe not visible in this video yet).

razorb: thanks! yeah, though i shouldn't have done a chick for this tutorial ;) way too much tweaking going on in the modeling video.

ok here's the next part, i just re-recorded the audio for it:

videopt2titlescreencopyua0.jpg

plugins i use are:
    chuggnut's unwrap tools:
    - http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/unwrap-tools

psdpathunwrapper:
    - http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/psdpathunwrapper