Home Technical Talk

Painting in zbrush; seams can't be painted?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
This is really an odd problem. SOMETIMES when I paint textures, it will give me splotchiness along UV seams. Sometimes it doesn't, which is odd, sometimes subtools will or won't have this issue within the same Ztool! What causes this!?!? Solution???

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Projection Master's probably the more reliable way to go painting across seams (if you aren't already using it)
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i texture with zbrush/zapplink, i always keep perspective turned off and manually drop into and out of projection master using the G hotkey. technically, these restrictions are no longer necessary in z3, but i find i get much more reliable/clean projections when i stick to this setup.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i paint everything in polypaint mode, then just bake out my color map when i bake my normals. havent had any seam problems yet.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Arsh: when your polypainting do you just use the AUVtiles or does the mesh have existing uv's?
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i usually sculpt with very low base meshes and try and do a quick unwrap with roadkill. in the odd cases i dont make quick uvs i usually use guv tiles, but since i switched to maya working with obj files is a lot easier so if i forget to put down uvs i can export my lowest subdivision and do a quick uv in maya and re-import
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    It's an odd issue, but I think I solved it. Yes I switch projection master on and off with G. I also transfer some UVs to a separate quadrant in Max then in Zbrush use UV Groups + Group Split to separate the model into subtools really quickly. However oddly it gives you seam issues with painting on the geometry that has UVs outside of the regular quadrant.

So I just solve it by transferring the UVs back onto the one main sheet and importing that OBJ for final cleanup. Just odd how that works....
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Arsh. Yeah i recently had a model ( about 2 million polies ) that had no uv's, I polypainted it and when I AUV'd it is spazzed out. GUV had much better results. Although it wouldn't let me bake it out, as it said it was too large for zmapper, and when I tried to reconstruct the subdivs was told it had tris.........texturing it by hand now.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    gavku, you can bake the colour in xnormal