Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SDK - Slaughtguy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
steady polycounter lvl 18
A while back I was making a generic dude player model for quake 3 and was studying Slaught's low poly models really closely. *kiss* *kiss* for Slaught

Well I forgot about it but I just wanted to give Unfold 3d a shot and it works great! Saves so much time!

So here is a simple low poly dude, its not the greatest but you can practice skinning if you would like, and once I figure out how to make and place tags (h_head, u_upper, l_lower) and rig this guy, you will probably see him running around in Quake 3. Cheers! :)

slaughtguy1.jpgslaughtguy_unwrap.jpg

SDK_Slaughtguy.zip - 136kb

Post your skins in this thread :)

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Cool to see someone still doing some oldschool Quake 3 stuff! He's quite boring though, it would be cool to see some sort of gear on him. Shouldn't hurt your budget or your current unwrap really, since the original models from Quake 3 were 800-900 tris, and often had some gear on its own 128x128 or 64x64 map.

Also, I would probably optimize the cranium a bit and use those polies to better define the face. I think it's worth checking out how they did that for the original models in Quake 3. They had modeled lips and hinted at eye sockets even at those budgets.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Aye, needs more shape to him, grab verts, move em about, make them all count dude :D

It's good base to work from though, just needs things like the brow looking at, and how the nose meets it too- seeing that the face texture is not mirrored, you could in theory do a flat surface from the front facing planes of the nose and that would help make the textures seem more convincing :)

The unwrap looks good, though it's always good to try and get seams running straight, that way it makes seam removal easier. And as DP said, can use a 256 for body (might squeeze nicely on to a 256x128 and 128x128 for the head and anything left over :)

might do a fiddle with a texture just to see what I can do, not done much game arty stuff for a bit :)

hope that helps fella

Chris
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Arms look a bit too short.

There are too many stacks in the arms which don't help define the shape, either remove them or pull them about and add some shape in them.

Head needs some revising; eyes and nose are too high plus the shape is a bit off overall.