Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

burner chick in bear suit

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
Ok, so Im ready to unwrap this lady. Shes wearing a camelback and gogs atm (for braving the desert), and the things around her feet are made of faux fur, as will be the cuff of the hood... Love that sillouette... and yeah, theres a strap missing, I know. Shell be sportin booty shorts and be topless.

file.php?id=5966&mode=view

file.php?id=5967&mode=view

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    The mesh flow is pretty nice man (face and the hood i very much like).

Only thing i'm nmot feeling is the "paws"... I think you should make her hands, and maybe leave fir cuffs around her wrists if anything... OR have the paws still, but have them hanging but connected to her wrists, like those winter mits :P

Has a cool "tank girl" kinda vibe, but to make her topless... why? As you said shes in the desert, so would you think she would be a bit smarter then that? I say put a cool bikini on her if anything (the shorts idea is nice) just to add some more character to her.

Good start man, can't wait to see the textures on her :P
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    If i saw her at burning man, Id sling some lines fo sho
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    The mesh flow is pretty nice man (face and the hood i very much like).

Only thing i'm nmot feeling is the "paws"... I think you should make her hands, and maybe leave fir cuffs around her wrists if anything... OR have the paws still, but have them hanging but connected to her wrists, like those winter mits :P

Has a cool "tank girl" kinda vibe, but to make her topless... why? As you said shes in the desert, so would you think she would be a bit smarter then that? I say put a cool bikini on her if anything (the shorts idea is nice) just to add some more character to her.

Good start man, can't wait to see the textures on her :P

Kind of agree with the paws-- make them furry too and that'd look interesting, I think.

Jason-- All I can say is, Critical Tits.

In fact Dabu, the first pic in that Critical Tits gallery looks an awful lot like your model, what with the furry boots and miniskirt... but your model is hotter.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt and well done. Nice job!

About the mittens... I think these, with her hands through the slits would be pretty cool.
    http://www.spoonsisters.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/41801.jpg
    Also how about some fur around the hood?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds-10/critical-tits-ride-2006-10.jpg - nudey... mmm

Yuh good website wipeout, ha ha. I'm just thinking, if she is like some sort of traveler in the desert, and if there is nasty winds and shit... i don't think it would be that pleasant to have her tits get like wind-rash or something, either way... you're gonna have to make em like dried up or something, be NASTY!
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, Jason, but she's a burner, ie, a Burning Man participant. So I'm sure one day into it, she'll still look hot. By the end of the week, though, I bet she will be all burned and shriveled up :P. I guess it's up to Dabu what day she's topless...
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh shit... so thats what Burner means? (just looking at the title).

Nm then, ha ha ha, interesting idea :P
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I didn't see my post appear, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm so stuck on low poly diffuse, I am only going into sculpting kicking and screaming. I told myself this is the last last gen piece til I master normal maps and all that current gen malarkey.

I hear you guys on the gloves, but I still don't know which I prefer. Just did a simple base pass with colored AO, and a fur test. Looks pretty sweet.

And yes, shes a party girl, not a wandering desert nomad +) Theres probably an RV or dome around somewhere to crash.

file.php?id=6170&mode=view
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a good start, the fur is looking pretty realistic, nice job!

Crits:
    The eyelashes are kind of funky. I think the upper lashes should be longer then the lower, at least that's the case with most of the ref I've ever looked at. It can also help to paint some mascara around the base of the eyelids, also doing the typical mascara runs helps give someone a little bit of a "I'm fried, the last mirror I saw had little white lines on it..."

It can also help to read up on makeup what are the typical types, how are they applied and what shades get used on what kind of people.
    http://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl=en&q=basic%20makeup%20tips&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweeeeeeet! at this stage of texturing it looks like alot of that geo in the torso could be omited b/c its not really doing anything. just an optimizing suggestion =) not sure what else u got planed, might need it after all!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, what Vig said about the eyelashes - don't make each one a uniform width, it just looks weird ... make them fatter around the base (so that maybe up to 1/4 towards the tip you basically have a "clump" of black) plus that way it's easier to make them blend in with the eyelids if you put black eyeliner around where the lashes meet the eye. It'll probably have the side effect of making her look "sexier" too. If that's what you're after.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    I hear you guys on the lashes, haven't really started on the face at all, had to do eyes and lashes as a demo for my class, so started them early. Ill make sure to try that when I get there, but the gogs are going to conceal them mostly anyway, most likely.

Im liking these colors, and trying to figure out what to do about the hands...

FUR IS GUD

file.php?id=6244&mode=view
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My vote's on the paws. I'd say since she has *ahem* very minimal clothing on, the paws add interest to her silhouette.

Looking good so far. Can't really comment on much else, I know you said this was the initial base pass for skin. But I would add some redness/sunburn around her shoulders and chest, considering the glaring sun at Black Rock...
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fur is looking nice,i would just recommend you to revise the anatomy a bit to get that more of a sexy look or a chick look.
    Vj
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    vj_box wrote: »
    The fur is looking nice,i would just recommend you to revise the anatomy a bit to get that more of a sexy look or a chick look.
    Vj

and go ahead and add 13.9% more awesome to her. and fix the coloring to make her look better at scrabble. :poly128:

i think she looks like a chick - she's not very voluptuous, but they exist.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She's way hotter then 70% of the chicks running around topless at Burning man... I think you have bigger fish to fry with the texture and you can always tweak the mesh's proportions with very little impact to the texture or UV layout.

It's time to push her flesh tones. Think about what effects skin color, blood, muscle, fat, pigment, depth of all those. You need to bring those things out in areas like the knees, thighs, torso arms... well everywhere.

You're doing great but not quite there =)
    And yea FUR = GRUD!
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    I intentionally went for an athletic build. I based her form off a yoga teacher I know. The other characters in my portfolio are sporting some heavier assets, and I wanted variety. Besides, theres always soft select, as mentioned. I figured since shes pretty much nekkid, that alone will drive the sex appeal without gratuitous proportions.

I have some more tweaking on the paws to do, and then Ill dive in with actual painting, this is still a base pass. Found some good tuts for painting fur. And for reference, this is the last character I painted (still wip, rig is test). I'm hoping to achieve the same level of detail.

file.php?id=6278&mode=view
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    alright, finally getting around to working more on this.

small update, still not happy with the skin, but its getting there. Still feels flat to me, like I need more colors in my shadows and hilites.

need better anatomy ref for her back...

file.php?id=7307&mode=view
  • mziskandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mziskandar polycounter lvl 14
    beautiful! i'll be waiting for your next post... i'm still learning texturing.. using blender n mudbox..
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your texturing (especially the shot of the seated woman struck me this way) looks like it's a normal-mapped model, displayed without normalmaps or specular.
    You don't just need more colour in your shadow and highlights, you need more shadow and highlights. Use sharpness and softness between two colours to create contrast in your texture, as well.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good. One area that draws my eye is her underwear, mostly because it's easy to pick out some straight line areas. I would work on the texture to give it a more flowing look.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    strange uv breakdown what are the other maps u are using? one for head and one for backpack? also the nippiercings are a nice touch adds a decent bit of character. Mightypea is right, needs more contrast as is also the skin needs some texture to it, seems too perfect for me. looks nice overall tho just needs a tiny bit more love.

-Woog
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Listen to MightyPea, his diffuse-only textures are awesome.

Quick paintover, hope you don't mind:
    burner_po.jpg

Quick hacky job, but basically as Pea pointed out, all you have here is midtones really. There are no bright areas and no dark areas. No highlights or shadows.
    Check out this image of Hunter from Q3A - notice that while her skin tone is a bit different to yours, the value range is quite wide - from very dark spots here and there to bright highlights on parts that would catch the light.

This is what you need to do here - maybe not as extreme as the Hunter example, but I think at the very least to the level of light/dark contrast that I painted over your image.

Also you could try more saturation in the shadows of the flesh, might look a bit more "alive", i dunno.

Coming on well though, it's a very clean texture, you just really need to push that value range and make the whole texture pop.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comin along nicely! i think shes vry cute. As for the skin, the shadow choices seem odd to me. I cant put my finger on it, but its taking the "life" feel of the skin away. Here is a book that might interest you, and be helpful. http://www.fwbookstore.com/product/294/253
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    excellent paint-over mop :D
    but i LUBB the purple shadows aka pior <3
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you for the paint over Mop, just what I was looking for, along with that character ref.

It took a lot of fine tuning to get her anatomy to read without looking like shes on steroids. I wanted subtle muscles.

Still not finished, am finally moving on to the paws. there are some seams to clean up, like where her neck meets her torso. And I feel like the camelbak could use.... something.

my screen grabs in osx get the colors crushed out of them, these are from a windows box.

file.php?id=7579&mode=view
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey there! Looking great!

You know what Mop, I think I'd disagree with you on that one. Even if the Hunter skin is a thing of beauty (top3 in my texture reference of all time!) I don't think it would fit that character here. I like the soft treatment on that last image by dabu, and I think that even the subtle light and shade on the belly musculature could be taken out. I think I feel that way because that character looks like she's out in the snow - hence suggesting a very ambient kind of lighting, that wouldn't emphasize any details since the ground would bounce up so much light. Maybe armpits and under edge of the boobs could be stronger but besides that I think its enough if not too much already?

Anyways! little things :P Congrats on a cool character! On with the pose!
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Wow pior, thank you. I have to admit, I find your work really inspiring. I use it to motivate my students when it comes to game art, a bar to aim for. I remember when you were working on that Bunny Mech, guess the impression stuck with me.

Ill be back with poses, oh, and this is a desert dwelling darling. And I can see her in the snow as well. But probably with a jacket on +)

honored.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Nice colors but there are some things that disturb me in anatomy :
    - She seems to have no feet
    - Her arms are too short
    - The volume of her legs seems different in the 3/4 views
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Hey FS,

Shes wearing fur leggings over platform boots.
    Shes wearing gloves that conceal her hands, and throw off proportions
    The way Ive modeled the thighs, they just look that way at the 3/4 angle. Still tweaking verts, trying to fix it. Good eye.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Yep I know all that, but I'm pretty sure there are some problems on these parts.
    Can you post a side view?
    and a top view for the arms?
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    awesome!!

Think her lower legs are a bit unrefined as compared to the rest of it. Not tooooo too sure about the lipstick line, seems a little far for the character.

should put a honey pot tattoo on her!!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    woop, nipple piercings.
    Err, nice! (thats my main point)
    Texturing makes me think GTA.
    DUnno why
  • imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
    i really like it. :thumbup:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Six kinds of awesome, really great improvements. Full of win!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    sexy. 'nuff Said.