Home General Discussion

Working in the industry AND professional game reporter?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
East polycounter lvl 14
[EDIT] I guess I should have put "journalist" in the title instead of "reporter".

Just a little question how the rest of you guys look at this.

Say someone is employed at a game developer, while at the same time freelances for a gaming publication, writing reviews, and articles.

Is this ethical? Does this, in your eyes, make this person less credible as a professional?

In my eyes, yes it does, and I can't but feel this is a really bad combination of professions. If said person had decided to freelance reviewing music, or movies, or food, then I'd have no problem at all. But games?

If you disagree with me on this one, I'd love to hear abouot it.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I dont pay attention to game reporters because i prefer to see by muself if it is possible for me to like a game . But if you are a good professional you will avoid beeing biased , it all depends on the professionalism of the individual :)
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I would think that it is, at minimum, a conflict of interest.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I would think that it is, at minimum, a conflict of interest.

only if you were reviewing your own game other than that i think its fine.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I think it's fine as long as he doesnt review anything his company/studio worked on.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    You've also got to consider what your (game) company's policy is on employees putting out public opinion of other games / companies. There can definitely be legal issues raised from that.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. wrote: »

Ok, but what if you were reviewing a competitor's game? For example, do you think it would be fine if someone from Blizzard were to write a review of Warhammer Online.

I still say it's a conflict of interest to work for a dev and write reviews, regardless of what you are reviewing.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    The thing is i doubt developers would give or let you play preview copies of their games if you were working for competition.
    Also game publications allready have a pretty bad name for biased reviews so i doubt they would want to make it even worse by hiring someone from the industry.
    I guess you could write about how the industry works and maybe enlighten people about the technical aspects behind the games sorta like an expert.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think 'games journalism' is particularly credible anyways, but I think this is a conflict of interest.

Writing articles about the industry, etc, is OK, but reviewing is really not a good idea.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    video game journalists have always struck me as retarded. i think a prerequisite for being a journalist is that you're intelligent. if you can't get over your own personal bias enough to not slant the games that you review to an uneven extent, then you shouldn't be a journalist. if you can do that, then it doesn't matter what else you do with your time.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    video game "journalists" have always struck me as retarded

fixed and +1
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Some interesting feedback.

Odd though to see the kind of hostility against game journalists. They do fill a place, even if there's a certian amount of corruption that's unavoidable, but to be honest that's just as much our fault (and our publishers') as theirs. While most of us who are in the industry can tell a good game from a bad one, and make the decision ourselves, a majority of buyers don't have that option. People need some kind of guidelines so they don't waste money on some of the shit we try to push out onto people.
  • [Deleted User]
    I don't even get why they're called journalists. Is Roger Ebert a film journalist?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    ae. wrote: »

Freelancing could work as a side job. But you get your biases while in the biz and that could effect one's journalistic integrity. But then again no one should have die hard readers that only listen to the articles of one journalist, especially for determining if one likes a game, I would argue the ethics a bit on that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there are a few subjects dev's can write about and not get themselves into trouble. Reviewing is not one of those subjects...