Home Technical Talk

Maping a straight tile texture around a bend

Saidin311
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
I'm doing some flooring for a hallway and I thought I knew what I was doing when I got to the rounded corner section. Turns out I don't. This is for max (not maya)

test1-3.jpg

That's just a simpler version of what I'm trying to achieve. I want to bend those stripes around the corner. So that everything lines up.

For reference I was looking at Cholden's tutorial. He uses something in maya called unitize? Or something that faces all the polygons on the texture to make it easy to map everything.
http://chrisholden.net/tutor/util02.htm

And most recently Pernis does this on a section of modular flooring. At least I think he does, I'm not 100% sure.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=55458&page=2

Hopefully this makes sense.

Replies

• mookster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mookster polycounter lvl 18
    Im going to assume you want to use the same texture space/sheet as the square for the corner. Real quick I came up with this just cloning the square, adding more cross sections, and using a bend modifier then rotating till the edge lined up.
    cornersn6.jpg
    To clean up the inner curve, I collapsed to an editable poly, checked preserve uvs and then welded vertices.
    Hope thats what you are looking for.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    If you look closely at my example in that thread you can see i mirrored the tile in the middle seam, so i can have the tile edges align to the side and make them come together in a corner thanks to the mirroring. i don't usually like mirroring stuff but in this case it can work pretty well depending on how your texture looks.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Saidin311, i'm from Toronto as well :) moving to the UK in just a few weeks though. Well what I've done before when working on sidewalks for games is to create a separate texture for rounded corners in some cases (due to the sudden change of structure due to the bend and the cuts). I also think having a seperate texture proves beneficial; you're able to work on the grime and the wear buildup that would crust along the inside edge (the one that would be up against a brick wall).

Looking at Peris' work (It's awesome work too) and seeing as I didn't do it myself I cannot say 100% ....but from what I can tell visually: the corner ground pieces are definitely a separate texture from the square ground pieces. It's fantastic that you've found such great reference though!
    I'm sure it will help on your particular project.