Home Technical Talk

How to model a chain link fence?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
For example...(not my pic)

chainlinkfencelm9.jpg

I'm using 3dsMax... totally drawing a blank, especially with how the wires are twisting and connecting and the spaces are even. Is this some how done procedurally?

Replies

• Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    looks like you have it down pretty good...just bake it to a alpha plane and you're set IMO. unless that isn't your pic......
  • Rated Rrr
    Offline / Send Message
    Rated Rrr polycounter lvl 17
    Not quite sure what type of answer you're looking for but depending on what this is for but I'd say most of the time the fence is usually a low poly plane with alpha on it.

What you got looks like a good enough high poly for baking out normals/alpha. Hope this helps.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Lofting it would probly be the easiest way....Draw out the shape with a spline ....loft the spline with the proper width elipse..then mirror
  • Eric Chadwick
    This is super simple. Just draw out one strand, as a renderable spline, and make an array.
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    oh that's not my pic... i'll try your guys suggestions tommorow. I'm pretty noob hence the post :)
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    yea, it's just one chain that twists back and forth all the way up. Then copy and mirror it over, and then you have the interlocking parts. Just copy and paste yourself a whole fence.
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    my only tip is when you render it to a alpha texture do it at a 45 ° angel so that the lines run perfectly vertical and horizontal than map it onto your geometry minus the 45° angel and you got Jaggies less alpha :)
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    dude, warby great tip! never thought of that! could waste a bit of texture space, but worth it.
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    that trick is a classic really i just recently saw it used again in far cry 2 and it doesn't waste any texture space if the texture is made to tile anyway :)
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    word? so you would have, say, a tiling 256 map for the chain link, and another 256 for pipes and supports?
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    i don't see any poles or anything like that on his pic ?! i thought he wanted to make a universally usable wire link texture that you could also put between 2 buildings or rolled up or anything / anywhere really.

i know batch ability is all the hot buzz right now so having as much stuff on one texture sheet is always a good thing for performance but when it comes to transparent materials you want as little as possible to use transparency in screen space so id say support poles and the likes definitely give them their own opaque material
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, warby is on the money here. I would just have this on its own small tiling texture, then any supporting geometry on a different sheet (tiling or unique, depends on what you're doing I guess).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet tip, warby!

-caseyjones
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to actually create a 3D chain link fence, than here's how. First off you need to create a spline, and then loft a circular piece of geometry along the spline. The spline itself needs to be a helix in shape. Now flatten the sides of the helix, while keeping it rounded about the ends. You should end up with something that looks like saw teeth from one side. It is essentially switchbacks in the shape of a helix. Once you have it there, just reproduce it, reposition it, and adjust it along the up-down axis. Rinse and repeat until your chain-link fence is as wide as it needs to be.

Keep in mind that this sort of method is intended to create a high-poly chain link fence. It should ideally be used for up-close shots in a high-poly rendering. It's a waste of time to create something that intricate for an in-game model. You can just use an alpha-mapped texture for that. Much faster and much better for performance.
  • Richard Kain
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Here's an example that I built real quick.

chain_link01.jpg

If you look closely, you can tell that it's just made up flattened helix that are iterated horizontally. You only need to create and adjust two base helix, and after that its just copy and paste. This example was made using simple paths, and a Bezier circle as the base for the path extrusion.
  • Makeitcg
    Hey Guys I did a tutorial on the same topic.how to model chain link fence in 3ds max. It's in 3ds max but you can follow the same procedure for other softwares. Here is the link:

http://makeitcg.com/model-chain-link-fence-in-3ds-max/287/

Thanks