Home General Discussion

Fable II

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
Damn, suprised there's no threads on this yet, am I the only one playing it? So far I'm loving it. I haven't gotten super far yet, but I'm absolutly loving what I've seen so far.

The one part I really want to test I haven't gotten to yet is the co-op. I did however see the little floating bubble that was one of my friends playing on live, which was pretty damn cool.

Oh, and the dog totally kicks ass.

Replies

• Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Getting it tonight :) Can't wait!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I would have gotten it today (fucking GRRRR!!) but I bought a plane ticket to get to Toronto for the weekend instead. It'll have to wait until Tuesday :(

How's the art & animation in the game? Anyone?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    My bro has been playing it sense it came out the other day, and sense I've been at his house for a few days been seeing it. We tried co-op for a while but really the game is built for single player and co-op felt really pointless, online co-op may give you more to do but offline co-op you basically just follow them around without being able to do anything other then fight a bandit from time to time.

We've also seen a number of odd glitches including a large tower which had its bottom half never load in (and it was a story piece that had a cinematic play reguarding it afterwords). The dog seems to be little more then a glorified items detector and tends to randomly decide to not follow you anymore just to respawn when treasure is near or bandits show up. Theirs a glitering path that always shows you the way to go to move on with whatever your doing, but it also has a tendency to appear and dissapear at will. If you want theirs also a mini-map in your menu but theirs no markers on it to tell where things are and you can't zoom in/out either. Their's also many items to collect, but 90% of them are essentialy useless.

Art and animation are good, though not worth getting the game for alone.

Overall I'd say its sort of dissapointing. The game's not bad but it could have been better.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, I definitely disagree with you PolyHertz. Everyone to their own I guess, however the game is fantastic by any standard I know of. Sure you can nit pick it and find bugs. But you can do that with every other game in existance as well. What it comes down to is that Fable II has a hell of a lot more good than bad. Though you may actually need to play it a bit to find that out (usually good to do before commenting).

As to the art... the art is top notch. The direction is fantastic, it feels very whimisical, and I've had a couple of points where I've just stopped and enjoyed the view. Generally a good indicator that the art is good in my opinion. :) I'm a bit of a sucker for the style of it though so I imagine that makes a difference.

The animation tends to be a bit more weak than the rest of it though. There have been quite a few points where I've noticed glitches with it as well as things like feet sliding and stuff. Nothing so bad as to break my suspension of disbelief yet, but it's probably the weakest part of the game on the art side.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Game fucking pwnz.

I've seen a few graphical glitches, but seriously, whatever.

This game so far has all the little goodies that get me addicted to these 'sandbox rpgs', and much like fable 1 I wholly see myself playing through this game a few times over the next while. There's just so many things to do in different ways, as it is I'm trying to play through as the 'good guy' and there's just soooooo many temptations. Heck, I haven't even merged my Pub Games character with my player, and I probably wont with this run through, would feel like I've corrupted him (plenty of $ and all the goodies won).

Lionhead would have to do something seriously effed up with this game farther along to make me hate it nearly as much as I forsee loving this game.

Fallout 3's likely to be collecting some dust when it comes out.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparantly you can't play your own character in co-op, though, which is a bit of a letdown. You play a 'henchman', and you only collect gold and err... experience? Not sure, but in any even you can't take items you find in co-op to your own game, sadly.
    I've yet to play it, but I'm looking to find a console-owning person in London who has it, so I can play it there, heh.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Another game I don't have time to play! :P
    I must own it.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    decided to wait until i've mined all the fun out of deep space.

but i wants it... glad to hear it doesn't suck - i enjoyed the first one a lot
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    I reaalllly like this game so far... the side quests are all enjoyable and Albion feels much more lifelike this time around.

Biggest gripe: Why the hell do dialogues for quests take so long to get across?? NPCs literally give you a 5 word sentence then pause for another 5 seconds before saying the next... possibly a half assed way to work in localization, I guess.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    First Fable failed to deliver on all the lofty promises so I'm a bit wary about part 2. I did enjoy the first one but it wasn't a sandbox rpg, it was fairly linear and how you played your character was moot once you got to the good & evil altars. The one thing that stood out for me was the gladiatorial arena, I remember that being pretty exciting albeit not that difficult.

So is part 2 really an open sandbox, can I run into the deep forest or do I have to follow paths through small cordened off zones?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    Another game I don't have time to play! :P
    I must own it.

Sectaurs wrote: »
    decided to wait until i've mined all the fun out of deep space.

but i wants it... glad to hear it doesn't suck - i enjoyed the first one a lot
    +1
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So is part 2 really an open sandbox, can I run into the deep forest or do I have to follow paths through small cordened off zones?
    It's more open - the game world is considerably larger (the box says about 10 times the size of the first) and there's more chances to wander off the beaten path, but you're not exactly free to roam all that far without running into an impassable mountain, rock or building. You don't feel entirely penned in, but it would have been nice to have a bit more freedom to move.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Pre-ordered the CE through Amazon... Now waiting for USPS to take 5 days to ship it 4 hours. -__-
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Got burned with the first one...decided I wasn't as interested after that experience. I guess the moral of the fable was, "deliver on your promises."
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Just bought it last night.
    For the record:
    I HATE FABLE 1. Fable 1 was a giant piece of steaming shit. I felt completely ripped off when I played that game. It was THEE sole reason i bought an Xbox...and after all the waiting and apologizing. I could barely get into the game. Between the FORCED tutorials, crappy shadows that flickered to point of inducing a seizure, and loading points that reminded me of Willie Beamish I was totally let down. To me the original was a total F A I L.

THAT BEING SAID:
    I think Fable 2 is really what Fable 1 tried to be. I'm very little into it, and am already totally cool with it. No horrible shadow artifacts, and load points seem to be very easy to handle. My main gripe has to be the sound. There are no enviro effects added to voices so if you are in a giant cathedral no echoes. I'm constantly fiddling with the volume because peoples voice levels are all over the place. I realize this has to do if you are facing them. But with some cut-scenes they'll start so far away you can't hear the person...OR they'll turn away from you all dramatic and guess what?! YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!
    That is my super gripe. The art is good...it's pretty par for the course as AAA games go. I feel like they could've added some saturation in places as it's a little too desaturated for me. What is nice to see is the bloom isn't set to 11. Dog is fun so far and I haven't tried co-op but I'm excited to give it go.
    B
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Started playing last night, its pretty cool i guess, havent gotten into much combat yet... other than fighting a beetle or two & some henchmen. I enjoy all the customization, it seems pretty deep and fun!

I hate that fucking smith job thing though. I'm a level 3 blacksmith, and cant keep my multiplier going! arrrrrrrrrrrrgghh

looking forward to playing more of it, just wish it wouldnt need to load every time you change areas.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    it's a beautiful game. initially the movement pissed me off since its delayed but it didn't take long to get used to. I'm only two hours in currently, haven't done much yet, haven't tried co op.

but so far it's certainly pretty and a lot of fun
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Haha moose I saw you on that damn blacksmithing anvil for quite a while... I figured you were getting frustrated ;)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate any game that allows me to fill the world with my illegitimate children.
    I hate that fucking smith job thing though. I'm a level 3 blacksmith, and cant keep my multiplier going!arrrrrrrrrrrrgghh
    Just get enough to buy a market stall or two or a cheap house to rent out and you won't have to worry about mini games any more.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    gotta say so far co op is a complete let down. sure it's cool you can play with your friends...

but NOT when you are forced to share the same ONE camera at all times. UGH. It's ridiculously annoying. I can understand it doing that for offline co op, but online we should each have our own camera AT LEAST.

I mean, they go and add the back button working as an instant teleport to player one, but what's the point of this if you can't move 10 feet away from player 1 as it is?

please PLEASE fix this lionhead :(
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Train your dog.....
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am having tons of fun! Someone up there said they stopped to enjoy the view. I found myself doing that a couple of times. The mini games are fun! They keep my attention for a little bit, I like how when you kill baddies they it does not add to your purity anymore. I hated that in the first one. Also...

Why is that time played in seconds? I like 8 hours in?? But I cannot tell you specifically cause I have not done the math to figure out how many hours that is...

BIGGEST GRIPE!

I hate the menu's and the map sucks. Why does the menu have to move? it seems like it takes FOREVER to get to the bottom of the menu, and then it opens up, and then there are like 5 more options under each of the main options. Then each one of those opens up into like 5 more things. Pain in the arse to navigate. Also I wish you could zoom in and out in the map in the menu, and I wish it would tell you what exits lead where(In the map). I hate that I have to follow the road and it said your are going to go to old bowerstone, when you need to go somewhere else. So then you run to another road and it is the fairfax blah blah. I am not a big fast traveler. I love walking! lol.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    i wish you could use more than one item in the menu, it takes forever when you've got a bunch of books to read and a bunch of skill potions to use to use them, then go through the entire menu again to get to the next one etc.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a heads up that the shoulder buttons make it easier to go through the menus. That being said, I agree it can be a little tedious, but most of the time any of the items I would care to use would pop up in the lower left corner + menu anyways. I actually rarely look at the map, at least for travelling and quests. If I *need* to get somewhere I'll usually map-warp there or set a quest waypoint.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a great game, but the co op sucks dick.. it really bothers me that you are just there to follow the main character around.

I dont know how its done with the online co op, but i bet its the same.

I love it though, money well spend.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    It's a really good game, and I can't believe I just spent 2 hour straight hammering swords as a blacksmith. That's just wrong. Totally wrong.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East wrote: »
    It's a really good game, and I can't believe I just spent 2 hour straight hammering swords as a blacksmith. That's just wrong. Totally wrong.

Only two hours?

Pffft, beginner.

Oh, and I just messed up. Right before a big mission that I know is gonna take me away for a while from the mainland, I went and got married. That wouldn't be so bad, if I hadn't done the 'unprotected sex' bit and on the first go had a kid. Now it's like... "damn, I've gotta leave, but I just started a family". :poly122:

Oh, and I've learned the hard way, be very picky about what foodstuffs you're carrying. I gorged on foods during a particularly nasty battle, and now my big buff hero is a lard-ass. This is gonna take a while to remedy. :shifty:
  • Zephir62
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
    Beat the game and did everything including own all of albion.. gotta admit though they pulled almost all the level design and a lot of the quests from Fable 1. Sure, the arena was great in the first game, but playing through it again as if it were fresh? No thanks, kinda weak.

Not really "Fable 2," but "What we wanted Fable 1 to be like"
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    Oh, and I've learned the hard way, be very picky about what foodstuffs you're carrying. I gorged on foods during a particularly nasty battle, and now my big buff hero is a lard-ass. This is gonna take a while to remedy. :shifty:
    Celery has a -2 fatness modifier if you want to slim down quickly.

On earning money, I reccomend bartending over forging and definitely over wood chopping. It's easier and you get money faster. Once you've got your artisan level, you'll have enough to buy yourself a nice shop and then you'll be set for life.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been munching on celery non-stop, need to find somewhere that's selling more than one at a time. What's wierd is, for how many pieces I've eaten (and nothing else), I can't really see any change just yet; also, despite my guy having a good bit o' paunch, it doesn't really read that way in the character profile.

I ended up merging my Pub Games character with my current player, spent the money thriftily on a few better weapons and one or two stores, and that quickly grew to the point where I own most of the stalls in Bowerstone Market, the Cow & Corset, and the house right next to it. That's making a decent income for me.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I discovered the gold "exploit" by mistake, where if you set your system clock forward a year or so you get all the money you'd have earned during that time immediately when you log back in. For some reason my system clock is always on 2005, so I keep having to put it back to 2008, and when I logged back in I got 200,000 gold.

Nice surprise. Fable 2 is a kind of game where I don't feel bad about exploiting, and it won't ruin my experience, since it lends itself well to it anyway :)