Home Technical Talk

Unreal 3 Reflection Vector

I'm trying to setup my material to reflect an image I've created, but to no avail. I'm following one of Epic's materials, but for whatever reason mine isn't working. I don't know what the errors mean, therefore I don't know what I'm doing incorrectly.

EDIT: I just noticed in that my junk is plugged into the Diffuse instead of the proper EMISSIVE! Which solved part of the problem!

Lerp_troubles.jpg

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Add a ComponentMask node in between the Texture sample and the ReflectionVector. In the Mask properties, click on the R and G part, but not the B.

Might work. If you were using a cubemask to cast the fake reflections, it would work, but since your using a texture map, you need that mask , with the removed B to force the 2D to work . Alternatively, if you were using a Camera Vector, it would work without the node mask as well. However, the reflection won't follow the normals like a ReflectionVector does.

So says my limited knowledge on this, of course :]
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You were right! So was Epic. Don't know why I didn't put that in there, but now that I did, it's working just fine. Thanks for the speedy reply!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Any reason you're adding the reflection to your diffuse channel?
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm following a material Epic created for some of there models. Its "reflecting" a single image instead of say a cubemap. I'm going for a brushed metal sort of look. If you have any suggestions to get better results feel free to pass them along! And say Hi to Ott for me.

Reflection:
    Reflection01.jpg

WIP:
    WaterTankWIP.jpg
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting. I normally add the reflection to my specular via a lerp or multiply and use a Fresnel node to get some good looking glass.

As well, are your UV's stitched where that nasty seam shows up near the top of the glass (reflection texture seam)?

And I'll kick Don for ya.

-Tyler
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! I'll try that too. That seam is actually geometry that's sticking out a bit. Thanks Tyler!

EDIT: I just noticed in that first image that my junk is plugged into the Diffuse instead of the proper EMISSIVE!