Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

urban environment WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone,
here’s stuff I’m working on right now.
I’ve done general structure of buildings that are close to spectator with their main shaders. There’s only diffuse pass. Spec, normal, environmental maps are not there yet.

Background stuff, skyscraper and some objects inside “player area” are still untextured or have some temporary quick texture. There is also some shadow map problem on some untextured faces, sry :(
More props and dirt/graffiti decals are still to come :)

Shots are done in UT3:

01wj9.jpg

02ts0.jpg

03up2.jpg

04ui3.jpg

And here r some photos that I did a while ago that I used as “idea providers” and some inspirations:

img0475wd4.th.jpg

img1343li8.th.jpg

Replies

• Filbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot polycounter lvl 12
    Textures look great. Mind showing the flats so I can get a sense of how you set them up?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looking like a very solid env. so far, would be great to see some higher frequency stuff in the form of props around edges of the courtyard.
    a touch more spec on the glass aswell
    the puddle in the photo would provide a good focal point, possibly reflecting the skyscraper
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start. It needs a little more personality. In addition to your grunge pass, some broken panes on the windows and damage/dents to the fence to could help.

The panoramic buildings in that 3rd pic are too low res and lit weird. You may get better results modeling some simple buildings and putting them in your skybox. The tress are also too flat. Model out some simple trunks and use a few leaf planes.

Those two long rectangular things going across the buildings, although temp, don't look right. You could model some sets of wires strewn across to generate vertical interest.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Off to a good start. You could desaturated the brick texture a bit and add some dirt/water stain, and painted brick section overlays to help age everything a bit. Right now they're looking pretty clean and new.

I'm pretty sure the pipes going from one building to the next are just blocked in, but don't forget they normally are hung or sit on some kind of support.

Also don't be afraid to change up the buildings materials. Not all buildings are built at the same time or use the same construction methods.

I'm also not sure how modular your pieces are?
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filbot, thanks. I am taking soon my plane lol, but i'll post more texture related images as soon as i'm back from vacations. but basically, there several tiled textures that are mixed trough vertex color and image mask, plus brightness tweaks in Unreal Editor.

Shepiero, thanks, I agree about spec on windows and more props. My next step will be doing more props ;)

FunkaDelicDass, lol, yes it sometimes a mess with some objects. Most of them r now just as placeholders, so that later i can just import new meshes and stuff but the composition will be already in place.

Vig, thanks man, definetely more grunge :)
    I started my buildings by doing several modular pieces but when i was more or less happy with them i merged them into one mesh per building and added some stuff to connect them together:

05np3.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh I see.

The benefits of working with modules comes into play when you export a handful pieces and arrange them in UnrealEd to be an entire city block. Exporting one big mesh could lead to performance issues and wasted resources.

Since most of the brick around the windows is the same, you can break that down into one or two variations. Then take the window variations and make separate props.

You should also think about turning the window ledges and trim into separate props using all 4 sides as different variations. 4 pieces of window ledge for the cost of one prop, pretty sweet deal.

Things like the street could be handled by UnrealEd's terrain generation and it would probably allow for better faster player interaction then a large custom prop?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vig this is very dependant on engine- depending on how your lighting works and the cost/benefit of instances

at work i would do what hes done, as this would actually allow me greter flexibility and helps the lighting no-end

edit-but as its for Unreal ill shut up ;-)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks 4 feedbacks!
    I agree, Vig, regarding splitting into many peices cause this saves memory and many ohter things.
    In my current case I just want to concentrate on visual look, so i dont think as if this would be a part of a giant level, but just this piece, and so I cheat a bit ;)

For example, since each building is one mesh (ecept 4 small details like grids and decals -in future-) I have several map channels on them. Some of map channels stay same as i did them for modular pieces but some take into consideration whole surface of final wall. Such a mapping is used by masks to mix several shadrs for example.
    Street piece is very small so 4 me it was faster and better to do it as a mesh and use vertex color to mix textures.

So since it is not a big level production, i prefer not to do many small instances in this case because i need speed and flexibility, but I agree with this as the way to do stuff for many real levels.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here r some updates.
    SHEPEIRO, no props yet :(

Major changes: added more material variety to buildings, plus some additional major objects like exterior elevator and modified yet untextured pipes:

01ym8.jpg

02vm0.jpg

03fv7.jpg
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good:)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far, clean texture work :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    nice update man, good to see more material types showing up
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Like the new update a lot! :)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great stuff! *virtual high five!*
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice lighting. Very natural. Also Really like the gate model and texture
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for feedbacks :)
    lol, after a looong break finally some more updates :P

I redid one section of building group (once again, that's why it took so long - i feel demotivated when i redo things several times but i'm glad now lol):

06ax5.jpg

Also i added and textured (again, diffuse only by now) several pipes though i am still experiencing some shadow issues, so sometimes shading looks odd:

07kt3.jpg

Also i followed suggestions regarding transparency for windows, so now elevator and buildings have some basic shapes inside and window glass is a sort of "dirty semi-transparent" :

08nv3.jpg

Now after i reworked the damn dead end section i think my progress will go faster...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    This is looking rad. Nice work dude.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    I think this'll really start taking shape once you add a buncha props, spec and normal pass. Lookin good so far
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    The windows on the far back building (the one w/ the ladder) look a bit haphazardly placed. Its coming along though.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks people :)
    gamedev, i actually wanted them to be haphazardly placed in this place, i hope that doesn't look messy :P

Ok, going on now with some props.
    This is a rubble pile messy thing :) as one object plus several individual sub-props to support it:

09qw7.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    orionburcham, lol, thanks, yep, the sky. Btw, that cloth/cellophane thing is not projected because it is rather low-poly and it didn't take long to just manually move vertexes around. But since u mentioned that i probably need to check out the cloth technique as well.
    Got one more tiny update :)

Btw, since several people keep asking about textures and mapping I'll make a post about it next time, just gotta go to sleep now :P I wanted to do so before but i always forget :(

For now i retouched rubble pile by making bricks' color fitting more the nearby building (i already got used to that color so tell me if u see that it doesn't quite fit), added more 3d bricks and made 2d brick patch smaller and a bit more subtle:

11dd6.jpg

and also i did several wooden em... things :) dunno how they could be called:

10kk2.jpg

thanks again for any critics u might have or had :)
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    I really enjoy this thread so far, Ive been waiting for one as detailed as this to come up. I only say that because I'm aspiring to become an environment artist and these detailed suggestions and step by step posting is helping me read in pretty well. Only thing I have to say is that everything here seems photo sourced. I know That there are many games that take this approach, and I bring this up because I always try to paint my own textures (most from looking at references of course). Should this not be a skill for environment artist? but I digress, I really Like the work so far, I hope it becomes as a chaotically detailed environment as it seems to potential have.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walknTalknMonkey, thanks man. Yes, i did use mostly photos as my source because these are mainly generic and realistic surfaces so that was the fastest way, not the worst one either i hope :) At work i mostly do painted textures because the games are mainly cartoonish so i need a break, lol.

As promised, here i got some breakdown of texturing. Basically, nothing new, just got different approaches from several people whom i saw sharing their techniques on the web.

I need to split this in 2 parts cause otherwise i can't post it :(

1)--
    The building starts with a couple of modular pieces that are mapped individually but they use tiled textures because this way I could keep texture res lower but get more detail by tiling it. However, edges of modules that touch neighbour module were mapped so that their UVs are 1 or 2 or 3 etc. In this case there won't be a seam between modular pieces:

tex01zx9.jpg

Each piece also has another channel for basic ambient occlusion bake. UVs of all different pieces are combined within 1 texture space:

tex02af3.jpg

When pieces are combined together into a building and imported into Unreal with only 1 base diffuse texture it looks like this :

tex03kc6.jpg

Then, using the same brick texture it is possible to create several color variations of it in order to mix them later using vertex color or image mask. In my case each color variation looks like this:

tex04ou8.jpg

Next, there is a third texture channel that is just a planar map over the whole facade and is used to apply an image mask. Looks messy on some polys due to the mapping plane being parallel to the whole building but it wont bother in this case:

tex05by7.jpg

Now, using Linear Interpolate for brick color variations one can get something like this (2 color variations used):

tex06qh1.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2)--
    After, I added vertex color in order to mix this with another texture. By using vertex color one can mix up to 4 things (2 with, say, red channel and then next 2 with remaining blue and green). In this case i did only 1 mix since that was sufficient i guess:

tex07ow3.jpg

and that's the second texture I used. I did not care too much about the pattern cause it appears only in several spots so repetition won't be too evident:

tex08zg6.jpg

And here is the result of all texture blendings:

tex09ol9.jpg

Plus I multiplied AO at the end:

tex10tj7.jpg

And that's how my node tree looks for the diffuse channel:

tex11vl8.jpg

On top of everything, there is another unwrap for shadow map where needed.

And these are several tileable textures that I used. Most of them are done from those available on cgtextures or environment-textures plus some of my photos, nothing original here :P

tex12cx3.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Similar approach goes for other buildings.
    The ground texturing is done by mixing 4 textures through vertex colors.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Props r done in more usual way - they have 1 or more IDs with one texture in each and sometimes 2nd mapping channel for AO
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Cheers bud, very informative.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking sweet! Can't wait to see the final product. What's the lighting setup look like sofar? I imagine a couple directional and probably a sky light so the shadows aren't black?

Also, great explanations there. Thanks for sharing that! It's nice to hear some exact technical explanations as sometimes things can get lost in translation. Saved to my reference folder for sure!

I'm curious about the AO stuff in Unreal. Are you using a lightmap as well? Whats the purpose of the texcoord node on that AO bake?

edit: I also really like the shapes of that building in the background. I was checking out the progress of the Burj Dubai the other day and was reminded of your project here.

edit2: I also don't understand that pink and multicoloured texsample node that comes on the two colour variations. Where did you generate that from?
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    this is becoming one great reference thread. keep it up! i love your work so far. attention to detail is great, and the way your executing your work is inspiring.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome info so far I'm going to be making a fair share of buildings in UE3 over the next couple of months so this is great info.

One question, do you import the modular parts into UE3 and snap the building together in the editor or would you export it out of max as a buiding?
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    whats the total upk package size for this? :D
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, happy to see that it was informative enough :)

Saidin311 -- u r right, in general it is a skylight plus 1 main directional light (for the sun) and a couple of secondary directional lights to make a sort of bounced and reflected rays. Anyways, I am changing the lighting theme right now so it won't be the same but the setup principle stays the same.
    AO is baked in max using Sky light and Light Tracer (can be done with mental ray AO shader as well). AO is multiplied with the Diffuse in UT3. Shadowmaps r engine generated. Some meshes still receive vertex lighting though. The Tex Coord node plugged into AO is to use the second UV channel. About the Dubai, lol, honestly, i was actually using that as inspiration :)
    The "multicolored' textures are actually AO and different masks that are combined in one texture. Such a texture is used to store up to 3 different B&W images - each image goes into one of RGB channels. This way one can have 3 textures for the price of 1 :) You can do them in PhotoShop. U just need to paste each B&W image into R, G or B channel of a white filled layer. In the case that u mentioned the texture had a mask in one of its channel to mixt 2 color variations together.
    U can check that in tutorials from Eat3D.com - great source about UE3.

carlo_c -- i assemble buildings in max because they r modular only in terms of geometry, but the vertex color and image mask are applied over the whole building.

JohnnyRaptor -- it is around 130 megs :( Pretty big, i know, but it is not because of geometry i guess but just because some textures i think might be rather big.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I decided to change the mood and lighting cause with evening or night it seems to have more opportunities to put some local and colorful lighting that also can help to reveal normal and spec maps :)

...a HUGE question to all possible Unreal folks How to get the masked opacity being calculated during static lighting build cause now my wire fence casts solid shadow even where there is opacity mask in my texture :( BeyondUnreal forums did not help till now :( Please someone....

Here is a general overview of what i am after (hopefully:) )

12np7.jpg

I also started adding some spec and normals (ground and rubble pile, woodn beams and other small props):

13wo4.jpg

And also i mostly finished some basic interiors by adding neon lights and a bit more shapes inside:

14tt9.jpg
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty sweet. Personally I like the daytime renders over the evening ones. I really like the way you did those interior's and the windows in general. Looks great.

As for alpha shadows. Not 100% sure but I've seen it done before.
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=51687&page=141
    about 6 or 7 posts from the bottom. He also explains how he did it on the first post of page 142. I think it has to do with setting the lighting component of the static mesh. I haven't done it myself though so I don't know the process.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I suppose some of the buildings in the far end are alpha'd? Even so there's lots of depth and as simple and the main buildings look they have a nice composition.

As for the shadows I think playing with the light map settings maybe with the dynamic lighting setup would help. Haven't gone too far into it. The chain link fence so far has a whole shadow.

Looking good.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    even i would agree regarding splitting the work flow between 3ds max and unreal.If you notice some of the UT3 buidings levels in the editor,the basic blocks are just bsps with the shaders applied and for the broken pieces,external static mesh is thrown in with multiple variations for the visual variety.
    But as far as the pure max workflow is concerned,the building could be a single mesh,but again it might pose problems in the engine,as the entire mesh has to be rendered in a single draw call.
    You could try and separate the buildings and then export to unreal for a more effiecient performance.Or if this is just for showcasing the art,this is fair enough.

Vj
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Saidin311, pliang, thanks for a hints guys. Unfortunately that post that u mentioned Saidin311 was not this particular case, but thanks anyways for help ;)
    Pliang, I'll probably just do a real 3d wire and put behind the fence for shadowmap bake and after I'll just delete it and leave low-poly opacity based fence. I just didn't find any option that could enable correct shadow casting from opacity-masked textures.

- vj_box, as far as i know about UnrealEngine, splitting model into repetitive pieces is intended to save on memory and to add flexibility for level designers. What concerns rendering, actually less objects render faster than bigger quantity of small objects even is total polycount is the same (considering that there is no dynamic lighting). In my case I still have smaller objects (props, some window elements etc.) but since i am just showcasing graphical aspect it goes faster if i assemble larger structures in max.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meanwhile here is some update.

I added fire escapes:

15sm9.jpg

Also quick illustration of lamp shader setup:

16me8.jpg

And some more rubble elements, like brick wall pieces and plywood piles.
    Bricks' mesh is pretty messy, lol, I was experimenting with hi- to low-poly conversions but not 100% well :P

17dl3.jpg
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Its looking really nice.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    It looks a bit monotone. Try adding in some blues to contrast with the oranges.

The fence shadows are a bit of a drag to. Maybe a light function to fake the cutout shadows.

Overall, good mate.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Looking good dude. Keep up the good work. I have a quick noobish UE3 question. Does the post processing effects work only after you package your map for distribution or is there an option i'm missing in the editor. Thanks a lot.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man, thanks for taking a little extra time to post some of your wires and unreal shader setups. Great learning tools!

I have a question mostly out of curiosity. I'm setting up some ideas for an urban scene myself for my portfolio. When you do things like fire escapes did you unwrap that whole thing uniquely? I'm considering creating some sort of blanket rust metal and mesh/grate to apply to my fire escape rather than unwrapping a whole bunch of planes and boxes.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for C&C :)

whats_true: i did add some bluish lights (outside lamps and sometimes inside windows), maybe it did not look enough though. I also wanted to have that sort of contrast that u mentioned but i don't want it to be too colorful. I want it still to feel sort of real so i don't want to push saturation of lights too much ;)

EvilPixills : i haven't actually tried post-processing yet :( But it supposed to work even in the editor as soon as u navigate the camera into the post-process volume (if your volume actually has some effects set in it). Check 3dbuzz.com in the "How do I..." videos section for Unreal Tech - there is a video showing how u create post-process volumes.

Saidin311 : in my case fire escapes, pipes, grids and other large objects don't have their unique non-tiled unwrap like props or characters because otherwise it would result in huge textures.

But they do have their own textures (not essential to do that, i just did that for more texture variation).

Most of them are tileable in one direction in order to map them on long pipes or wires for example. For example I lighten or darken certain areas of a texture to add more definition to the edge of some metal element for example but i do it all the way throughout he texture so that it stays tileable. The way u described is close to that as well.

Meanwhile here is some update after my vacation time :)

I mostly finished the court area. Maybe some minor details remain to add or if you guys see some mistakes :)
    I added cables, more rubble here and there, other objects, plants, normals and specs and a mirror. I struggled a lot with that damn mirror thing and for me it only works in the editor but it does to allow me to bake the map (which is not that big deal since i'm not doing a real UT3 map but still it is unpleasant).

Now the next step will be the background area :)

52535181ai1.jpg

91454019br1.jpg

81487844cu4.jpg

30949513vq8.jpg

64068882yh1.jpg

also some spec and a subtle environment map on windows:
    20941216yg9.jpg
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Now that looks good :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That's a sexy environment, really nice work :thumbup:
    Could you show some texture maps and sizes used? Me wants to know!!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats really nice but i think your lighting could be a little more subtle, its a touch too monochrome cos there is not enough g and b in the main light, i know what your going for but it just seams like your killing it a bit
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ GCMP : sure man, next update will have some more texture sheets ;)

@ SHEPEIRO: did u mean not to go with higher saturation? Or u mean saturate more lamps and reduse saturation ambient/sun lights?
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ GCMP and anyone else who is interested in more texturing stuff :)

Here I did a quick breakdown of some objects' texturing.

For other objects it looks similar. For architecture, as mentioned before, there are mostly multiple IDs that use tiled textures that are blended with image mask or vertex color.

breakdown01dn1.jpg

breakdown02xo3.jpg

breakdown03ij0.jpg

breakdown04gu8.jpg

breakdown05eh5.jpg

Texture sizes are different. Walls mostly use 512 or 512x1024 tiled textures. Objects vary from 256 (lamps, bucket etc.) to 1024 or even 2048 (like big rubble pile but that can be reduced to 1024).

Nothing much new here but i hope that still can be of some help for those who r curious about texture stuff :P
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very inspiring work. good job. that mirror looks waaaaaay complicated. did you use a camera? i love the way you did the windows. mmm i want to make something similiar now... haha.

good job man.
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i totally love this,i started to imagine a nice gameplay in this environment. some parts resemble resistance 2 for me in some ways. not sure about how others feel.
    any way,keep up the good work.

Vj