Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Soldier - Second Attempt.

Originally I did a piece called 'Futuristic Soldier' and received some fantastic crit on it,
most of which was focused predominantly on anatomical structure and proportion as opposed to
actual style and substance. Therefore I decided to purchase some anatomy books and do some practice
which this being my first attempt.

Ive had a look around and decided to try a new workflow. In this case I want to try and start with a
high poly model and then create the low poly using the retopology method. Its not something ive
attempted to do before so it should be an interesting experience. As before, all crit will be
welcomed as im hoping this soldier will turn out much better than my old soldier and putting them
side by side will show clear progression and a better understanding of both anatomy and proportion.

My current plan for a workflow:

Create the base for a high poly model (see below).
Sculpt the high poly model.
Create assets such as armour, attire, etc and either sculpt them or model them high poly in Max.
Create a low poly model using retopology (via Polyboost tools).
Textures, normal/specular maps, etc

Thanks in advance for any advice or crit that you have to offer.

frontbackrenderhy7.jpg
w833.png

perspectiveld0.jpg
w812.png

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Even if it's high poly, personally I think the legs shouldn't be modeled like a tube, it needs knee caps.

And a defined back wouldn't hurt either.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He looks like he's leaning backwards.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys.

The reason there is no real definition on the model yet is because I havnt taken it into a sculpting program yet.

I just wanted to start off with a model base that had good proportions without delving into anatomical detail.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Whats with all the loops running down the center? Take a que from the loops in the neck and remove the ones not flowing up to the head. All those extra loops are not helping for poly density and serve no purpose seeing as they only run verticaly. They won't help you sculpt and they don't add to the models shape so loose them.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the thighs are a bit thick all else looks good if your waiting to add more detail, tho with the amount of edges you have you could define much more of your characters musculature in this stage, making the silhouette of the n mapped version look much more convincing. just a thought looks much better tho, also the bulky thighs tend to make the legs look shorter.

-Woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, showed it to some people at work and I think the general consensus is as follows:

- Top of the arm needs to be longer.
    - Thinner thighs.
    - Bum looks a bit funny.
    - Torso needs to be a big bigger (may be personal prefererence though).
    - Head looks funny.

I was going to modify the mesh further in Max but personally for me it would be quicker to use the tablet in Mudbox.

Also, about the edge loops....dont know what happened there so those will be gone shortly.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick update.

Changed some of the proportions of the character (longer legs, arms) and added some detail using the existing tri count (32'000) to try and push the original mesh as suggested before I start subdividing. Again any crits are welcomed.

frontbackrenderui1.jpg

perspectivelk8.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    The bottom of the ass is too high up. by the pics you have here it needs to come down about half a cm.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude first off looking much better! from the looks of things on the revised version, the butt does need to get a bit bigger and also needs to come down further, also the lower leg area needs some more form to it right now its a bit to cone looking for me, if you wanna take a look at some well done lower leg forms i would suggest checking out anything by Michelangelo the dude was seriously nuts at pushing human proportion, his feet and calfs as well as his back musculature is amazingly well done might help to inspire ya. goodluck!

http://www.wfu.edu/~elyjm5/FYS%20100/Index.htm

-Woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, still using the base mesh to really push it to its limits (finger slowly edging towards the subdivide button now) but its still at 30'000 tris.

Attempted to get the most of the form now and hopefully finalise the proportions before going into the next pass of detail. Again, all opinions welcomed.

perspectiverm5.jpg
    w962.png

frontbackrenderlu6.jpg
    w930.png
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man youve made some great improvements since the last post, only comment im gonna trya and squeeze in, based on his current physique his calf muscles should be heaveir, larger , and a bit further down, also adding some minor curvature to his shin bone could sell the realism a bit, i feel like his lower leg right now is not real enough compared to the rest, the rest is looking good tho keep on it. oh his head might be the tinyest bit small too, but if thats what your going for no biggie.

-Woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, done a bit more work. Computer had a fit though so I didnt get much time to do much last night.

frontbackrenderfb6.jpg
    w1345.png

perspectivero5.jpg
    w1281.png
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, got to the stage where im trying to focus on maintaining muscle proportions across the body (so it looks like hes done a pretty even workout regime). Still trying to fix parts of the muscle and proportion to get it at accurate as possible.

frontbackrenderkb0.jpg
    w1170.png
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys. Been a while since ive posted mainly because its taken me ages just to settle on a high poly base for the leg (going through many iterations and sketches). In the end I just ended up basing it on an existing reference (Soldier Concept - GameArtisans).

So far ive just done the base of the legs and will move up to the crotch and buttocks and finally the arms. Ive decided not to use any armour for the torso and back as I want to show off some organic parts of the model.

frontbackrenderbi4.jpg
    w900.png
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    dont rush into the high poly before you get the anatomy down, really go back and really sculpt this out nicely before you start getting crazy on details of sub d hard surface stuff

(id recommend touching that face up alot..hes got bubba angry lip syndrom going on.

also get some eye's in there so you can scale / sculpt the eye lids correctly)

your hardsurface is nice but your anatomy needs work :)
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    in the future, all soldiers use steroids!
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    of course they do! havnt u played gears of war? also there couldnt possibly be any adverse side effects of said abuse.

-Woog
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    so how do his legs bend with that big round plate behind his knee?
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont rush into the high poly before you get the anatomy down, really go back and really sculpt this out nicely before you start getting crazy on details of sub d hard surface stuff

(id recommend touching that face up alot..hes got bubba angry lip syndrom going on.

also get some eye's in there so you can scale / sculpt the eye lids correctly)

your hardsurface is nice but your anatomy needs work :)

Thanks. The detail on the actual man isnt final and I will be taking him back into Mudbox (touching up on the lower division version).
    in the future, all soldiers use steroids!

Yes, President Schwarzenneger passed the bill in 2017.
    so how do his legs bend with that big round plate behind his knee?

The plate finishes just below his knee. Theres a rubber section just above below his thigh.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback. Ive made a few adjustments including:

Arm armour.
    Crotch and buttock detail.
    Moved the back of knee guard lower.
    Minor touches to body.

frontbackrendercy9.jpg
    w856.png

It still needs work but its looking to be a hell of a lot better than the previous attempt. (See below).

normalmapja9.jpg
    w800.png
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    With the thighs being so big no that you added armor, you will have to make the armor for the torso enormous to make it all fit. Also, I am not sure if it was mentioned but the hands should come down to mid thigh level. They look a little short to me at the moment, and the hands themsevles look small. The triceps, shoulders and biceps dont have enough definition for someone so lean (judging by the definition in the abs) and the upper abs are squeezed to close together.

The back muscles look really good in your last screen shot, good job there, and you have been improving in huge strides. Keep up the good work.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, I think that its time I moved onto the low poly as I dont think I need to take the high poly any further and any future detail can be added in the texture/texture normal.

Changes made:

Moved and redone the lips entirely.
    Increased length of thigh.
    Increased size of hand and forearm.
    Changed armour on calf (looked weird).
    Modifications to head (Scale and detail).
    Added more detail in shoulder.
    Flattened stomach muscles (slightly).
    Veins on arms.

Any final crit before I move onto the low poly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

frontbackrenderix9.jpg
    w1088.png
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'd say the way the armoured legs fit onto his body doesn't quite sit right. It would look better if they were higher up on the character's hips, to create more leverage, so that they don't fall off. The back muscles seem to be too pronounced, with the flow into the neck looking odd.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice update! I agree with what Target is saying about the armor and the hip area.
    I like the back muscles as they are, but I think the traps (the muscle inbetween the shoulders and neck) need to be rounded out more on the front side, so the clavical doesn't make such a dug out area.
    Keep it up man, it keeps getting better and better.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the feedback.

Here's perhaps (again) the last update.

Changed the following:

Connection from back to neck has been smoothed off.
    Decreased the deepness of the clavicle area.
    Moved the crotch armour up. However this had an unintended side effect of making it seem as though the character had no crotch and merely a longer stomach. Therefore I had to stretch the crotch area to give it that room (that all men need down there).

frontbackrenderff1.jpg
    w988.png
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really nice. Though im still not feeling the out thigh area.
    Need to work on the back more :)

Great progress! Looking forward to more ;)
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think this will definately be the last update before I start the low poly. Took it to work and the feedback was mainly on the armour. Soooooo, drastic modifications as follows:

* Shin armour extended, now comes over the boots.

* Thigh armour lowered, allowing for rubber suit underneath for manouverability.

* Armour behind knee stretched down to ankle.

* Smaller modifications overall.

frontbackrendermm7.jpg
    w900.png
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey he can walk. Looks much better
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, finally started the low poly and got it unwrapped and the normal map/AO baked.

Now im just working on a colour scheme that works. I tryed red and white but it looked weird so im edging towards the gold and red. Im also thinking of decor and intresting components and fluff to make the armour look intrestingf (stuff that I can add via texture and then normal map via NVfilter). What do you guys think?

colour1ja3.jpg
    w1083.png
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,
    Just wondering, since I am working on a character at the moment!

Is it common practice to model the underlying body (and all its muscle detail), even with the knowledge that you are going to cover in with armour?! I have noticed it done a few times on the forum?! (Seems like a waste of time to me?!)

I can understand if your doing a scantly clad female... but not someone with huge amounts of clothing or armour?!

~C
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, you usually delete it. But its good practice (if you have time) and if you create armour you can build it around the body allowing for better proportions.
  • byder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nights,
    Yeah obviously you delete it :) I can see it being good practice and allowing better proportions. :D
    In terms of time (especially with short production limits) I personally just wouldn't bother, but I understand your reasoning's.
    ~C
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Night that looks worlds better, very cool, not really digging the target on his chest tho in the paintover, seems a little less thought out. also whats up with the gloves? i cant tell how they are going to be armored, is it like a leather glove with metal detailing?

-Woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Woogity,

Yeah the paintover was literally just a print screen paint over so the chest is just an idea of what might be on there but obviously not the final design. I was thinking more of a tribal tattoo with a bullseye implemented (important as its the reasoning behind the back of chest armour).

The gloves will be leather with metal detailing only I will be using the darker blue colour to highlight this. Several colours have been changed around and ill show this off in future iterations.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    lookin good, I like the knee assembly, although he needs a top for sure:

reminds me a bit of this-

WallaceandGromitinTheWrongTrousers.jpg

sorry I couldnt help myself
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah a lot of people say he needs a top but I dont want to give him one because of his bios:

Hes essentially a cocky soldier-type who uses armour on his arms and legs to enhance his strength but feels that hes so good he doesnt need armour on his chest. Instead he has a tattoo of a target there to see if anyone is capable enough to kill him with a bullseye shot. Anything else just passes off as a flesh wound.

Ill try to shrink the armour around the waist to make it look less like the "wrong trousers".

Ive also added tubes which connect the body directly to the trousers to give him more of a reason not to wear body armour.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool bio cant help but like characters that are assholes, gotta give him some serious scarring on that skin of his tho, if he dosnt wear armor on his torso, id assume he would have lots of "fleshwounds" keep on it will follow, also think about giving him something for his back, weather it is some sort of pack, or a piece of the leg armor that extends up his spine, something to tie the legs to his torso better maybe u could tie in some of his arm armor enhancements with the shoulderblade reigon?

-Woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, ive started the texture and started adding some detail however im a bit stumped as to adding extra'filler' detail in large empty areas and was wondering if anyone had any ideas or thoughts on the current process. Thanks in advance.

txperspectivezz5.jpg
    w1023.png

uvwxj2.jpg
    w711.png
  • Mcbiskit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Make sure to take my advice with a grain of salt. I haven't done much in the way of feedback in the past but I've decided to change that and am starting with you.-

First, it might be the angle of the model but the armor doesn't read right to me. I think it's partially because it's such a smooth transition from armor to flesh on the arms and waist it makes him seem more like he has cyborg arms rather then human arms with armor strapped on top. The transition from armor to rubber suit at the back of the knee also seems to smooth. Now in the last untextured render you posted, the waist/buttocks area looks much better because it reads as the much more form fitting rubber suit underneath but then you textured it to look like the rest of the armor and lost me again.

Looking at the hoses I find myself asking "What exactly do the hoses do? What happens if he takes his armor off, or can he even take it off?" You said you added them to give him more of a reason to not wear body armor but how does it do that? Is it pumping healing stuff into him? Those Space Marine steroids? Something else? And if it is pumping something in, from where? Maybe adding some sort of canister or something to the leg armor to have the hose running from. Or like Woog said a pack on his back with a tank for the healing juice/liquid adrenaline/ect. Or if it's some kind of exoskeletal armor maybe it needs to be powered so a battery pack on his back or something could fit your needs. These could be the components you're looking for to make your armor more interesting.

This last one is completely personal preference, but I would rework the target on his chest. Right now it reminds me a lot of the Godsmack sun and I never really liked that logo.

Those issues aside, I'm really liking your progress on this model thus far. I'll be sticking around to see how things go because I think he has the potential to turn out pretty bad ass. Keep it up!

Mike

-Edit- Oh, and in the next update it would be nice to see some wireframes. I'm interested in seeing the polyflow of your leg armor but can't tell a whole lot from the wireframe you posted last.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Well, its all looking rather flat right now because you haven't added any strong highlight or shadows yet. Don't wory about the detail, untill you have the forms looking right in the texture. Why don't you bake some AO and go from there.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice work on the texture so far, I wasnt so sure about the paintover but the diffuse has potential :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dude nice so far like the legs. work on the tat, you will want it to blend in with the skin around it abit more, probably mostly the fact that it is sharply pure black, tatoos are almost never black like that unless he got it about 5 minutes ago make sure u get some photo refs of aged tats, will help tremendously!

-woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just to answer some of the feedback.

Due to the size of the armour I thought that it would be best not to just make it an inanimate "shield" to cover the legs.
    So the armour is hooked into the body which acts as a sort of power source, either by the flow of the blood powering the armour
    or it tapping into the nerves of the character making it flow better with the movement of the legs. I did decide that it would be
    best not to just have it stuck into the body so I added connectors. This would allow the armour to be detatched at will.

I added a low poly AO map to complement the high poly AO map giving more detail to the shadows generated by the pipes.

Anyway guys here are some renders....and a comparison with the last futuristic model (which was the original purpose of this model
    as I wanted to work on improvement the most).

finrend1hi9.jpg
    w1024.png

finrend2ap0.jpg
    w1024.png

finalsmall2xv9.jpg
    w1000.png
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dude i think the progress is pretty obvious. your improving in leaps and bounds. keep working looking forward to future posts.

-Woog
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Woogity. Think I might do some more after Christmas (want to take some time off) and give him a gun.

I think the missus has bought me a new Wacom for Christmas so I might pump out some designs and post them soon.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys im back.

Ive created a concept for the type of gun this guy should have. Since hes quite beefy, I want to give him a minigun-esque weapon however instead of firing lead bullets it will fire laser/blaster type energy beams (hence the light show on the gun which signifies some sort of charging device).

conceptgunup5.jpg
    w731.png

Hopefully will start working on the model tommorow.
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So guys, I think I finally got it finished.

finalrenderzw1.jpg

Im afraid that my "posing" skills are rubbish so a lot of stuff now looks out of place (fingers especially). But im reasonably happy with the outcome and I cant wait to start a new project. Thanks to all the people on the forum who helped out.