Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Wishing Well

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
Something I've created this past week for fun. 2194 triangles...1910 without the bucket. The ground is only a placeholder.

render01.jpg
render02.jpg
wire01.jpg
textures.jpg

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thats messed man, i was walking home from work today and i said to myself "i've never modeled a well, think i'l try that tonight"

looks great, no crits here.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Isn't that an awfull lot of seperate textures for a relatively simple object? And are the posted textures 100% size ?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textures are shown 1/4 size. Separate textures because the objects can be used to build other assets.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    ok heres me crits
    -main axle thing has only 8 sides, while you've spent more on the handle by the looks of things
    -spec needs work overall push the levels, needs more contrast, this is esp true of the stone
    -need some big shapes in the normal maps for the wood to catch some light, maybe the odd deep split
    -desturate the wood alot, looks like pine from B&Q at mo, wood gets sun bleached pretty easy
    - the tiles needs more dirt and grime, possibly a little green in the reseased areas, use the AO as a mask
    -same with the sone work at the bottom, wells get damp, so i would add some mossy stuff on the surfaces facing upwards, use the green channel in the norm as a mask for this
    -more large variation, youve got the textiure space so use it to get a better range in
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great crits Shepeiro. I'll see what I can do with them before I place it on my site. Thanks.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Desaturated the wood, and added a better normal map. Played with the high poly base in Mudbox as well for better normals. Added some growth around the crevices.

render05.jpg

Thanks for the green channel tip. That will come in handy.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I liked the first one better since it looks like something I could probably find in warcraft. Looks nice. The only thing right now is the green stuff seems to glow a little. I think you might have to lower the saturation on that a bit and maybe take out a bit of the yellow in it. I would add a little wear an tear on the bucket. Expose some of the metal color and some dents, and maybe a little rust. Nice work.

Alex
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right. Thanks.
    render06.jpg
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    cool, i like. the roof is mainly there to keep the rain away from the man made stuff. maybe scale it back some for a more scaled realistic approach.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dunno if pcount is a issue to you but you could probably stand to bring this down a good bit without losing much detail, im mainly looking at the roof and the crank handle it looks really nice tho nonetheless!

-Woog
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the green! Looking good!
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only thing that really bothers me is all the wood attached to the under belly of the roof. Im pretty sure you could have done all those planks in the normal map. You'd save over 200 polys with those gone.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    other than the critiques others have pointed out, I think you did a pretty good job.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    My main crit has to do with the moss -- it looks okay for moss on the ground, solid, but for patchy bits growing between cracks in stone i think it's way too green.

1. I think the moss is too constant between the rocks. It could be broken up a bit, i've never seen moss grow that evenly in *cracks* -- over whole surface, sure, but it usually comes out spotty in narrow areas, i dont know why

2. In reference... http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/399762032_d42f238c5e.jpg?v=0

The moss gets as green as you have it in direct sunlight, and in large patches, but check out the lower parts of the rock, and where it's growing in creevices and such -- it's more broken up, there are shadowy lines between areas where the moss is better grown and more importantly, it's not near as green.

Since you're in the cracks of a well and videogames dont have complex enough lighting solutions, i'd darken/desat it a good deal. (*maybe* try a greenish spec to fake sss, but i dunno if that'd work.)

Everything else looks good, and i think the greener moss works on the top, the contrast looks natural against the red. In fact the whole roof/shingles texture is great.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hope you dont mind thought i could explain better with a pic

paintover3.jpg