Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TF2 Map - CP_Switchback : Input needed!

Hey everybody-

I've been trying to learn Hammer lately (Valves editor) to make a map for my favorite game, Team Fortress 2. I have been working on what I call a 3d sketch to try and get the feel and functionality of the map where I want it. I would really like to get some input from everybody on here on what I have so far. For those of you who haven't played TF2 yet, there is a game mode called 'assault' that I am using for this map - There are 4 capture points owned by the red team, and it is the goal of the Blue team to capture all 4 before the timer runs out. Its tough to really get a feel for a map from images alone, so I have added a link below to download the .bsp for anybody who wishes to look it over in-game. The capture points and timer don't work yet - hopefully I will be able to get that done soon. Anyway, here is some info:

Game - TF2

Map Name - CP_Switchback.bsp

Version - Pre-Alpha 1.0

Basic Story: The Red Mining corporation has seized control of the Blu Power Companies facilities! Red Corp thinks they can muscle Blu Co. off Switchback Ridge... Get out there Blu Team and take back your facilities! Fight to take back the Generator building first, and move up the hill to recapture the 2 tool sheds and ultimately the Transformer building at the top of the mountain to win!
Download Link: http://nicholaikropat.com/NIXPIX/Switchback/KROPAT_sb_tst_20.zip
This is the first game map I've made since Duke Nukem 3D so this has been quite a learning experience. I only have about 10 hours of work into the map at this point so Im open to the concept of a complete redesign, so please.. Tell me what you think!

And yes, I know the HDR Bloom is crazy-huge... Dunno how to fix that yet :P

KROPAT_SB-tst_01.jpg
KROPAT_SB-tst_06.jpg
KROPAT_SB-tst_07.jpg
KROPAT_SB-tst_03.jpg

KROPAT_SB-tst_08.jpg
KROPAT_SB-tst_10.jpg
KROPAT_SB-tst_02.jpg

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    That map is looking very interesting! It may also be useful to have a plan layout so the level designers here can give you gameplay tips.
  • Mechadus
    That map is looking very interesting! It may also be useful to have a plan layout so the level designers here can give you gameplay tips.

Good call - Cant believe I didnt think of that - Ill scan what I have when I get home tonite
  • rhoymand
    hard part about making tf2 maps are the possible exploits from grenade/rocket jumps. looks really good so far, keep it up!
  • Mechadus
    rhoymand wrote: »
    hard part about making tf2 maps are the possible exploits from grenade/rocket jumps. looks really good so far, keep it up!

Thanks for the comment - I have been trying to keep that in mind (demoman is my fav character). The rocket jump exploits are a major part of why I made this map so vertical, rather than long. I have found and fixed a few major problems, but Im hoping extensive testing will help me find the rest of them.

-Nick
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty cool so far.

BTW, there is already a pretty good map named Switchback.

Did you use ropes for the power lines? If so you should make 'em longer so they have some slack. If not you should and make them longer with slack.

That point right at the base of the steep hill looks bad to me. Whoever is guarding that point is gonna have no chance against rockets and grenades. Gonna be real hard to push out of there, maybe way to easy to cap too.
  • Colemerson
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    I loaded it up for a 5 minute jog around. Not much to say as its hard to get a really good grasp on things without checkpoints working. The First checkpoint seems like it would be a battle and a half to capture. Its pretty wide open and defenders can easily rocket or snipe into the checkpoint. Attacking team would basicly have to fight to the top of the hill before they are safe enough to capture the point.

pict1.jpg

Given that there is another point around the corner once you get up there if they are able to gain control of the hill they would most likely capture 2 points within seconds of each other. Maybe some obstructions in the hill leading to the top to prevent direct line of site would help.

Some of your ramps seem a bit small. I would look at some of the other TF2 maps and see how they compare. The one ramp at the last checkpoint with the railing posts didn't work to well as I snagged the posts a few times even as a scout. I loaded up badlands for comparision and some of their ramps are super tiny though so you'll have to see how it plays.

pict2.jpg

All in all looking pretty good. I prob wouldn't change anything until you have everything working so you can see how it plays as is. Hopefully some more expierenced guys will get back to you with some more crits.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    When you load up the map, go into spectator and then open the console and type these:

sv_cheats 1
    cl_drawhud 0

The first one turns on cheats and the second one makes it so there are none of the info overlays or heads up display. It'll make for much better and more informative screenshots because you won't be constricted to just moving wherever characters can go.

As for the map itself, it looks pretty good, but I really can't say much for critique until it's easier to see the layout and such. I hope you're using func_details for the pillars and stuff, though; your compile times will be cut much shorter if they're brushes now and you change them all to func_detail.
  • frostymoose
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    I dont know if this is a good or bad thing but it seems like if there were any sentries @ the third point, it would be impossible to kill them without an uber, and might be difficult even then as there are only 2 ways in and they're small doors. I think you might also want to add another way to get into the building around the 2nd point. Maybe an open roof, or simply another entrance on the side.

Also i think you should open the windows around the first point. because wow that'd be a tough tough cap.

Besides that, it looks a little too sniper friendly especially around the 2nd point and after the 3rd point.
  • Mechadus
    Hey gang-

Thanks so much for all the feedback so far! After reading the comments so far I agree with most everything. Its so tough to really evaluate a team based map without outside opinions. Im going to chisel away at getting the map functioning and also making changes to the areas that have already been discussed. In the mean time, here is my (very poor) original sketch I based the map from. I never intended to show this to anybody so its pretty low quality... Hopefully it will be helpfull tho. Obviously the map has changed some, as Im sure it will continue to do in the future.

map%20copy.jpg
  • Mechadus
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool so far.

BTW, there is already a pretty good map named Switchback.

Did you use ropes for the power lines? If so you should make 'em longer so they have some slack. If not you should and make them longer with slack.

There is?!? Well... Crap lol. I guess I need to go with name option #2... anybody know if there is a map named CP_Powerline yet?

The power lines are just blocks right now - Im planning on rebuilding 99% of everything in this map when I make the alpha version. Your right tho, it really would look better with some slack in the cables.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Haven't heard that name yet. Probably better to as that's a major visual point. Easy to remember.

Switchback actually does switch back and forth (maybe too many times) but that in itself makes it easy to remember.

Check fpsbanana.com, I think most TF@ maps end up there so it's a good place to check names.
  • Mechadus
    Swizzle wrote: »
    When you load up the map, go into spectator and then open the console and type these:

sv_cheats 1
    cl_drawhud 0

Nice, I was trying to find out what the command was to disable the hud - Thanks!
  • rhoymand
    looking at the drawn map this level doesn't look fun for offense. there's so many bottlenecks and theres only one alternative path after CP3. blue starts out trapped in a house with only 2 bridges to get out from. where the upper bridge leads I still don't know. in official tf2 maps theres always 2 (if not 3) ways to get to a CP.

if you dug a tunnel in the mountain wall and led the exit where the powerlines meet the canyon that'd make a decent alt route and a sweet sniper spot.