Home Technical Talk

Tiling normals?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
I have a quick question/ need help. I have an object that is using a tiling texture it is a failry larg piece. Now I want to be able to add normal detail to the trim all around it. The problem is I have the edge trim pieces which are fairly large to broken up and outside the 0:1 UV space. These pieces are also slightly different in scale. My question is what would be the best way to get my baked normal to tile correctly on this tiling texture or the best way to set it up? Thanks.

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the larger details also tile, then simply bake both large and small to their own normal maps, then combine them in Photoshop or Crazy Bump.

If the two scales use the same UVs, this is the best way to go. If they don't then you'll need to use a more expensive shader that combines two separate normal maps, each using different UVs, in real-time. By expensive, I mean it will slow down the frame rate.

You can avoid using two separate UV sets, if your engine allows you to change the tiling amount in the shader... then you could use non-tiling UVs for the big details, and use >1 tile settings for the smaller detail texture.