Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - My first real character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys!
We've got a character workshop here at school, and I've always wanted to make a spacemarine, although I've always been more keen on making spaceships and stuff. However, now that I have to make a character I thought I might as well create a space marine.

This is my first real character. My _first_ character was a character for UT2004 that we had to create just a month or so after opening maya for the first time.

It's still very much a WIP, and I'm working on it really hard atm.

With that said, please be gentle with me! >.<

23n1fp.jpg

r6xw87.jpg

Replies

• imb3nt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imb3nt polycounter lvl 14
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. Tweaked a few areas, added some tubes to the waist area and made the space between the legs smaller.

2a8ruyw.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    You have the same problem than me, you like cool looking organic techy armors, but you can't come up with a working design.

Right now what is see is cool forms but not something that could actually let the character move.

You should definetely think about articulations before going further. If you don't do this i bet you will end up with something that you "meh" when you look at it.

I don't want to bash, jsut telling what I see, and again, it's my problem too :/
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally understand what you mean! I thought that as well when I looked at it earlier, which led to me reworking the thighs. They looked horrible before! >.<

I'm gonna rework the feet and shoulderpads as well.

Thanks for the C&C!
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    looking cool, could use some more small details to make the design really pop.

The only problem I really see is it doesn't look like the character could lower his arms.

Either that or the shoulders really just look too far out like they would be disjointed from the body with were they would be located.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the penisholder is irritating,
    also from a design perspective there is to much weight on his front side- where it usually is more on the back because of the anatomy of a human
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    the penisholder is irritating,
    Haha yeah, that's just something I scribbled together before I went home. Gonna keep working on it! :)

Aye, the smaller details will come! Just wanna make sure the entire design looks O.K first. As you said I need to work on the arms.
    Also, I haven't started working on the back yet. Hopefully I'll be able to add some weight to the armor then.

Thanks guys! :poly121:
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.
    Hands aren't done.
    The legs will be sculpted and turned into baggypants with folds and stuff.
    282ewy0.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good man the updated version grants alot more range of movement and realism. o question after checking your mesh...is that nurbs? the leg armor floaters look like nurbs while the head and a few other parts look like subdiv. Just curious

-Woog
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote: »
    lookin good man the updated version grants alot more range of movement and realism. o question after checking your mesh...is that nurbs? the leg armor floaters look like nurbs while the head and a few other parts look like subdiv. Just curious

-Woog

Hey man!
    Thanks for the comment! That's what I tried to achieve! I really agreed with the comments I got on this about the functionality being almost zero and so on, so I decided to make it more functional.

It's all subdiv modelled. :)
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah well it looks terriffic cant wait to see where its going, nice work thus far!

-Woog
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started sculpting the leg area in Zbrush now.
    Having some minor issues with the folds and creases on the pants, but I'll sort it out sooner or later.
    16icy6b.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update! Still working on arms and legs!
    2rgl741.jpg
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man i think this is coming along great i like how you handled the hard surface areas keep it up man.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jam-i-am wrote: »
    hey man i think this is coming along great i like how you handled the hard surface areas keep it up man.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! :)
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking hawt, especially for your first char.

Your forearm and hand orientation is wrong. The way you have detailed your forearm would indicate that the hands should have the palms facing forward. Take a look at your own forearm and how the bones in it twist when your hands are positioned like that.

Loving the progress, keep it up.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your comment on the arms, Xaltar! I looked it over, and I'm more happy with it now. However, it's not 100% done yet. I'll need to tweak both the arms and the hands further.
    Here's an update though!

15ydd1d.jpg
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good so far, keep at it. :)
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    This is looking waaaay better than the first version, but something is still bothering me, and i think thats what your model lack at the moment:

bitborring-081257_16-10-08_s.jpguploaded with ftpix

The overall silhouette is a bit boring right now you should make some choices in what need to be remarkable at first and make it interesting.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    This is looking waaaay better than the first version, but something is still bothering me, and i think thats what your model lack at the moment:

bitborring-081257_16-10-08_s.jpguploaded with ftpix

The overall silhouette is a bit boring right now you should make some choices in what need to be remarkable at first and make it interesting.

Thanks a lot for the paintover! I'll definately see what I can do, but no promises. I get a lot of mixed comments about the sillhuette. Some love it and some hate it. I'm somewhere inbetween. But as I said, I'll take a good look at it! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started sculpting the head and the damages on the armor.

25fqd1z.jpg
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    The armor looks very nice, but the human part is bringing it down for me :( Looks like only the end of the hands will be visible tho but still needs some attention. They look too 'round' now to me, try adding more definition :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, you're adding in those random details on the skin surfaces wayyyyy too soon, you need to get your form nailed down first.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really good. Some really nice hard surfaces. EQ is dead on about the face, don't rush to micro details without first nailing down the proper facial anatomy.
    The overall silhouette is a bit boring right now
    I'd actually blame humans for being bipedal for the lack of originality in ALL humanoid character designs.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your comments! I totally agree with you EQ about the details. I just wanted to see how my concept would work out, so I added some scars and stuff to see if it would look the way I wanted, and it did! :)
    I'm currently working on the shape of the head and face now.

About the hands - They aren't done, and I've pushed them down on the prio list atm. I wanna finish the head first.
    I'll add a T-shirt on him and also add bandages on the damaged arm. (As a consequence of the blast on his shoulder.)

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate your input!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if you can see much, but I've worked on the shape of the head and the arms.

s5d8b4.jpg
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    i'd lose the dent in the shoulder guard, or at least make it look more like real damage, at the moment it looks much too man made. or he got shot with a cannonball
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine wrote: »
    i'd lose the dent in the shoulder guard, or at least make it look more like real damage, at the moment it looks much too man made. or he got shot with a cannonball

Well, he got shot by a grenade launcher. That's the whole story behind the damages he'll have to his arm and his face.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some high frequent details. Not much worth mentioning. Also added a T-shirt.
    I'll get to work on the head tomorrow again.
    qy6zr4.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update.. Started texturing yesterday.
    I'm not sure about the colour scheme, so that'll probably change soon.
    11qo6ww.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    This really is comming out well. I love the latest render, kinda looks like a mini plaster sculpture.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    perhaps use a grey background next time instead of the white one- gives a better feedback regarding colors and contrast- but getting along nicely
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    the texturing is coming along, looking forward for the update!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    wow, really cool armor!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys! I'm really glad you like the progress so far! :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Not sure about the lights.
    vpc7lc.jpg
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Looking ace, you never know when you'll need a good penis light.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Looking ace, you never know when you'll need a good penis light.

Hahaha, yeah, I know what you mean! I decided to take it away though.. :(
    Thanks!

RENDER3_copy.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.. Just working on the specular and the lighting.
    358arnk.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    might be better to see all in all once you started unwrapping and texturing the other parts as well as most of the model is displayed in grey. Just like on the shoulders some accents like key- colors are needed but its hard to tell right now where.
    I would rethink the lights as they look to much Epic e.g Gears of War style alike. THose orange falvoured lights always scream for a cold/ warm contrast and by that usually end up in a clich
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    It is looking very cool can't wait to see it textured
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    might be better to see all in all once you started unwrapping and texturing the other parts as well as most of the model is displayed in grey. Just like on the shoulders some accents like key- colors are needed but its hard to tell right now where.
    I would rethink the lights as they look to much Epic e.g Gears of War style alike. THose orange falvoured lights always scream for a cold/ warm contrast and by that usually end up in a clich
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I got the lighting to where I wanted it. Now I need to tweak the diffuse and specular and then finish up on the head and arms.
    2enatqo.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man this is looking great! i really love the style of the chain belts holding the equipment on his thighs look like giant watch bands neat design, the armor is looking good, im not sure about the spec tho, with the lighting as it is it seems ome pieces of the armor are way too reflective, could just be that their color matches the current enviroment tho, im looking mainly at the shoulder guard under the damaged area, and the thigh armor looks almost like a mirror. awesome stuff so far tho!

-Woog
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the head.
    The mask is optional. Prolly won't have it for the course, but I'll have it in the final render I think.
    He'll only bee seen from the chin up, so I haven't paid much attention to the neck and throat areas.
    v806lz.jpg
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    might wanna darken the background even more since you got lights now! :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More defined details, tweaked shapes and some colouring. :)
    15dngv9.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey man, really nice progress so far. Like others have said, your hard surface modeling is excellent. I think I would give him a stronger brow though, and refine the ear some more.

I also think it would be cool if you had his ear kind of melted and difformed on the one side (his left ear), since it looks like he was all burned up on that side of his face.
    Can't wait to see more!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, really nice progress so far. Like others have said, your hard surface modeling is excellent. I think I would give him a stronger brow though, and refine the ear some more.

I also think it would be cool if you had his ear kind of melted and difformed on the one side (his left ear), since it looks like he was all burned up on that side of his face.
    Can't wait to see more!

Thanks a lot for the comment! :)
    About the ear, yes, I will definately add more definition to it. Haven't really gotten around to that yet, because I hate both modeling and drawing ears. :P
    Hm, that's a good idea about the "smelted" ear, I'll see what I can do!